May 08, 2024, 07:37:14 AM

News:

WinPep 8 and power core

Started by harleytuner, July 04, 2014, 07:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytuner

We just updated our dyno to the power core system.  I've only tuned a couple bikes with it so my evaluation might be a little premature.  But I personally think they dropped the ball a little with the software.  They changed everything from winpep 7.  Alot of the features I like in 7 are not the same in 8.  They only sent on o2 sensor so I havn't been able to sample both cylinders at the same time (for the $5K we have wrapped up in this you'd think they'd of thrown in the second sensor or at least tell us it wasn't included). 

Anybody else having any issues?

Rant over for now

joe_lyons

I was told to wait a year or so to get all of the bugs worked out.  Gmr has the new software and hardware also.  I know the sensors can be had at orellieys for a good price.  I still wish they would have done more with the torque cell to incorporate it.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

hrdtail78

Thanks for the topic.  I'm interested in it but that's some coin for what you get.  I figured I would wait and see what others thought.
Semper Fi

Vic Chichester

It seems lately, particularly with software/hardware, that different is often advertised as automatically better.
As stated above time will tell.
Vic

aswracing

Very interested as well. They quoted $5K to upgrade mine, with the torque cell option. I really want to know it's worth it before laying out that much cash.

rigidthumper

Huh- they quoted me 6800 at the show in Cincy for the new stack and software- weird.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

harleytuner

Alls I can say that any time saved by sampling both cylinders at the same time is lost navigating the software.  I can't imagine anyone that is familiar with 7 being happy with 8.  Even hanging runfile names between runs is a PITA. I'll get more in depth later when i'm not at work and I have more time.

joe_lyons

I will hopefully be stopping by GMRs place in august so maybe he will let me take a look at the software.  I already have the tq cell so that does simplify things.

harleytuner

I'm going to give Steve a call next week and ask him how he likes it. 

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: rigidthumper on July 04, 2014, 08:44:31 AM
Huh- they quoted me 6800 at the show in Cincy for the new stack and software- weird.

Maybe the figured you were loaded.. (with cash   :embarrassed:)   I don't see how.. Maybe the other "loaded"   :wink:

Max

aswracing

I noticed in the price list there are different prices depending on which model dyno you're upgrading. Mine's a 188 (dual roller). Here's what they quoted:

Complete upgrade kit including Main Control Module, $2,500.00
P# 77000020 PowerCore software suite with WinPEP 8 Dyno & Data Control,
2 primary & 1 secondary inductives, 1 remote atmospheric sensor,
10 button sample pendant, 16 tooth pickup disk with speed sensor
and all necessary cabling and hardware

AFR-2 AFR-2 module with built in Gen4 air pump, flow meter, tubing $1,500.00

According to the literature, the AFR-2 supports two sensors. Didn't realize the second sensor is extra but now that I re-read the literature, it does mention that it comes standard with only one. So add another $150 for that.

When I asked about the torque module & strain gauge, here's what he said:

"The module is built into the Dynoware RT hardware. This upgrade comes with the strain gauge, calibration arm and weights.  The Torque module option is $1,000.  This option like you described will show real time torque under load.  As you make a change if it be fuel or timing you will see and increase or decrease or no change.  Letting you know immediately what is happening. "

Anyway, $2500 for the upgrade kit + $1500 for the AFR-2 box + $1000 for the strain gauge stuff + $150 for a second O2 sensor = $5150 altogether.

Considering I hardly tune any bikes, and the dyno is about 99% an R&D tool for us, that may be a bit hard to justify. But I would like to be able to make real time torque measurements for properly mapping ignition.

harleytuner

We have 2 dyno's at the shop.  We put them together and made a removable drive shaft to connect the drums so we can tune trikes.  The one we put it on is a 200 that was converted to a 250 at dynojet when we first got it.  Besides the cost of the upgrade we had to convert the dyno to 240 volts.

Buglet

I upgraded my dyno to winpep 8 about two months ago, it was under 5k with 2 AF sensors. All I can say its a learning curve. Once I get it all figure out it should work out good. The 240 volt part was the easy part, that ran just around $100.00.

WFO

Any body know what the o2 sensors number is at O'Reillys ?
2007 FLHX,2003 FLHTI,1986 FXWG,1992 FXR, 1970 340 Cuda

joe_lyons

I have the number at work.  Its the same as the wideband commander.

mayor

Quote from: joe_lyons50023 on July 11, 2014, 04:16:13 AM
I have the number at work.  Its the same as the wideband commander.
does the Win8 set up read as slow with those sensors as the WB commander does?  The WB commander is just about worthless during roll ons in my experience. 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

joe_lyons

The sensor is fast just not the controller going into the computer.  My wideband kit on my bike is lightning quick going into the power vision.

hrdtail78

Semper Fi

joe_lyons

Would have to look at the logs but I know its quite a bit more than j1850 collection speed and I believe faster than HD/lan(can bus)

hrdtail78

But isn't that more of what we can log through those ports and not the sample rate the ECM see's?  The ECM samples every power stroke.  Which at 6000 rpm.  It would be 50 samples a second.

That's the deal between these to different types of sensors.  NB's react faster, more accurate, but small range.  WB's bigger range, less accurate, and take more to time to sample.  Always some give and take.
Semper Fi

joe_lyons

In no way shape or form faster than what the ecm samples but what we stream through the data plugs is what I was meaning. 

HD/Wrench

July 11, 2014, 12:07:01 PM #21 Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:11:26 PM by Gmr-Performance
No the dyno 02 sensor readings are extremely fast. No issues what so ever with both sensors on a WOT pull . The one thing I like the best so far is the brake is also reacting better. Meaning that it will not over shoot and will not pull down as aggressive.  Big engines small engines its much smoother , when other get the new system they will notice that right away,...I have always adjusted the PID factors for different builds with win 7 but with 8 its a night and day better. Thus far not touched the setting at all. Basic little builds and up to a stout 113 making over 130+tq.

I have been testing new software and been giving dyno jet updates on the items that I see. Much more is coming and they are fixing the little bugs daily.

hrdtail78

Quote from: Gmr-Performance on July 11, 2014, 12:07:01 PM
No the dyno 02 sensor readings are extremely fast. No issues what so ever with both sensors on a WOT pull . The one thing I like the best so far is the brake is also reacting better. Meaning that it will not over shoot and will not pull down as aggressive.  Big engines small engines its much smoother , when other get the new system they will notice that right away,...I have always adjusted the PID factors for different builds with win 7 but with 8 its a night and day better. Thus far not touched the setting at all. Basic little builds and up to a stout 113 making over 130+tq.

I have been testing new software and been giving dyno jet updates on the items that I see. Much more is coming and they are fixing the little bugs daily.

You got my price yet?
Semper Fi

joe_lyons

WFO

Thanx for the Bosch number much cheaper than dynojet
2007 FLHX,2003 FLHTI,1986 FXWG,1992 FXR, 1970 340 Cuda