May 05, 2024, 03:10:09 PM

News:

Long Day on Throttle

Started by 06ClassicRider, March 11, 2009, 04:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

06ClassicRider

In preparing for the longest ride that I have ever been on, I am inquiring about an easy on-easy off cruise aide.  I have a throttle buddy but worry that my hand will still cramp up.  Yet I don't want to spend a lot on cruise control nor do I want to do anything that is unsafe....like duct tape :crook:. The cruising will be mostly on interstate until we get to our destination.  Any suggestions?

biggzed

Not sure what a throttle buddy is, but I used a thing called a clever lever on my old RK. It basically snapped on to the throttle screw and allowed you to "lock" the throttle. I worked for short distances to get the feeling back in my hand, but would not hold a steady speed for long distance. They sell them at a dealer near me for less than $10 IIRC.

Zach

Snuff™

March 11, 2009, 04:35:39 PM #2 Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 04:43:43 PM by Snuff
I've done 864 miles with a Throttle Rocker (hard thin plastic)  A little awkward at the gas pumps.  Also tried a rubber throttle strap that I removed after a couple hundred miles.  Forget what it was called, but put a cramp between my knuckles.

-Snuff :beer: :beer:

Just looked Throttle Rocker online mine was the hard plastic one w/o velcro, I guess they only make the velcro one now.
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

ramcr913

I like the the Throttle Rocker. You can ease off he grip and rest your wrist on it.
I twist it up out of the way at the gas pump.

06ClassicRider

Mine is the wide plastic paddle that fits nicley into your palm.  It is has a velcro strap.  It seems to work fine for the trips that I have taken going about 150-200 miles.  But on a planned trip that will include four days of 3o0-400 miles per day, it might not be the ideal time to discover it makes my hand sore and cramp up.  And I hate that throttle screw located under the switch housing. Might as well use duct tape.

tdkkart

Trade the bike for an Ultra..........
Not sure on the newer ones, but my '01(damn that thing's getting old) has the smoothest cruise of anything I've ever driven.

Sonny S.

Quote from: tdkkart on March 11, 2009, 05:08:19 PM
Trade the bike for an Ultra..........
Not sure on the newer ones, but my '01(damn that thing's getting old) has the smoothest cruise of anything I've ever driven.

I had an 00 Ultra and now have an 01 Ultra that I put a carb on. Have never even drove a car with better cruise   :up:

Sorry 06, know that doesn't help  :embarrassed:

smittyon66

I've been thinking about one of these. Don't know too much about them and I haven't talked to anyone with one yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110311299461&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

Forget the bullsh!t - it's all about two wheels and a motor!

Mr V

I know you said that you didn't want to invest in a cruise control but I had one installed before riding cross-country and it was the best $500 I ever spent!  I'd recommend you reconsider.  Maybe save the $ by camping instead of hotels or something.

Good luck.
2007 FLHTCI
1981 FLT

06ClassicRider

Mr. V, I would reconsider if it looks as if I would be doing more long distance cruising.  I'll have to wait until this one is over to see if my old ars will be able to survive the long journeys.  Even in my younger days I remember the need to shift my backside around to the point where I would be sitting on the gas tank and then sliding to the passenger seat just to get some feeling back.  What the heck was I thinking?

Thanks to all for your input.  Much appreciated.

CraigArizona85248

Doesn't Harley put the screw on the throttle side that you can use to lock the throttle anymore?  My '93 FXDWG has one of those and it's handy on long days.  I'd only use it on the freeway, but even with the throttle locked you can close it manually.  It would be a shame if they stopped putting that device on the new bikes.

-Craig

06ClassicRider

My bike has that throttle screw, Craig, but I am somewhat hesitant to use it as you have to really tighten it in order to keep it at a consistent speed.  Worries me a bit to have the throttle locked in that way, even on the interstate.

05FLHTC

I have early stages of arthritis & many neck, shoulder & back aches & pains. My hands will start to go numb after the 1st 100 sometimes less miles. Different types of gloves have a large effect but the best thing I bought were the Kury Iso grips for my EVO FXD & the driver backrest is a must for the bagger.

In the near future is cruise control & a new set of Khromwerks handle bars for the bagger... 

Ride Safe & have a good trip, it's not much fun if I'm pushing myself so hard to be somewhere that I can't stop to enjoy the surroundings & allow the my ole body a chance to uncramp.
Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA

14Frisco

Quote from: 06ClassicRider on March 11, 2009, 05:58:12 PM
...as you have to really tighten it in order to keep it at a consistent speed...

I use mine all the time.  You don't have to really tighten it to make it work.

First, make sure it is lubricated, the screw and the spring, so it turns easy and nice.  Then while riding, just find the spot where it barley holds the throttle.  Once you find that spot you only need to turn it a fraction one way or the other to hold or release the throttle.  Once you get used to it, it is a piece of cake.

It would be nice with an electronic cruise control though...

someday69

the jacket can ride up into the sholder and cut off circulation,,,its the wind pressure,,,,I had to find a way to keep it from doing that...

ramcr913

06Classic-
Don't know anything about this but spotted it while looking for something else.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/VISTA-CRUISE-CRUISE-CONTROL/GP_2010944_N_111+2006+200004271+600014742_10111.jcw

I thought I have a Throttle Rocker, but its actually a Cramp Buster. Doesn't lock the throttle in place but with the throttle screw slightly tightened the twister stays put when I move my hand around.

FYI, anyway. Hope whatever you pick works for you.

FXDBI

http://www.mcgcustom.com/

Cruise buddy replaces the stock star wheel ,works like a dam on my dyna 2yrs no problems.....Bob

tdkkart

Quote from: 06ClassicRider on March 11, 2009, 05:49:38 PM
Mr. V, I would reconsider if it looks as if I would be doing more long distance cruising. 

Doesn't even have to be long distance cruising, I use the cruise on my Ultra all the time.
Other than in town, if I'm up to speed it gets set.

As to your possible seat issues, just make sure you have a decent seat. I've had a couple Mustangs and as far
as I'm concerned they're the real deal for long distance. I haven't been on the latest designs from the MoCo, but the older ones were
fine till about the first 10,000miles and then they smashed down and it felt like you were sitting on the frame rails.

Oh, and take your billfold out of your pocket. It may not seem like it, but sitting on your billfold contorts you into an un-natural twist
that can play hell on your over long distances. Try it, it does matter.

IBARider

Quote from: 14Frisco on March 11, 2009, 06:22:56 PM
Quote from: 06ClassicRider on March 11, 2009, 05:58:12 PM
...as you have to really tighten it in order to keep it at a consistent speed...

I use mine all the time.  You don't have to really tighten it to make it work.

First, make sure it is lubricated, the screw and the spring, so it turns easy and nice.  Then while riding, just find the spot where it barley holds the throttle.  Once you find that spot you only need to turn it a fraction one way or the other to hold or release the throttle.  Once you get used to it, it is a piece of cake.

It would be nice with an electronic cruise control though...

I actually prefer the thumb screw to my cruise.  Like when I need my right hand, I use to just set the screw and my hand is free.  Now i gotta reach over to the cruise switch with my left, then turn it on with my right.. now what was i doin....  Life is a beeech..

Anyways, yup, lube that thing (thumb screw)  or maybe it came apart inside.  I was always able to put just enough tension on it where it holds the throttle, but was no problem twisting it if need be.  You know the little shoe inside needs a little lube...... 
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

truck

My cruise switch has been turned ON for years, never saw a need to turn it off, cruise is always available with the right thumb.
I use the cruise control a lot, don't need to check the speedometer at all.
If i come up behind a vehicle that is going a little slower than me I'll bump up the cruise two to five notches depending on the traffic coming up behind me then back her down two to five after the pass.
In really thick traffic I don't use the cruise control.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Blazing Saddles

I've got the thumb screw on my '92 FXSTC but I don't use it - I prefer ACT (active throttle control) LOL.
Seriously, I think more than a few riders ride with too much of a white-knuckled death grip on their grips when you really don't need to.  And when it gets colder its even worse due to the thicker gloves.  Riders that grip their grips too hard may also tend to pull on their bars too much - very fatiguing and causes the domino effect of your arms being too tense as well as your shoulders and back.

Blazin'

rihdrkc

08blackstreetglide

This makes me want to put a cruise control on my bike. For some reason the TBW makes my arm go numb quicker. Harley website lists them for an 08 StreetGlide for $239.95. St Paul Harley has them on Ebay for $210.00  plus $11.65 shipping. Anybody know of a better deal than that? I'm interested.

pendo31

06Classic,
    I have the throttle rocker on my RK and rode from New England to Sturgis, and NE to south Florida multiple time with no problems doing
400 to 500 mile days. Good luck on your trip.

East Providence, RI

specialx1

real cruise is the best thing bout my bike :smiled:almost
it's only kinky the first time