May 04, 2024, 05:49:14 PM

News:

OT- handgun ammo gone

Started by tbird, March 13, 2009, 10:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbird

All handgun ammo is gone. I live in northern Minn, all local gun shops out! All Wal-Mart supercenters out! Gander Mountain out! Remember the  radio talk shows warning of this if Obama was elected? Dude at Gander Mountain said that the govt is drying up the supply and all new ammo will havetraceable coding on. Ever notice how abox cost $6  three yrs ago and recently the same box was $20 to $25.

tireater

They are trying to make the old ammo illegal too...There is a bill out now that at some point will make you a felon for possesing it...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

96FLSTF

Yup, I looked just about everywhere for some additional self defense .38spl ammo and its backordered till the middle of next month. Local gun shop mentioned best sales ever and sold just about everything they had in stock at the last local gun show 2 weeks ago. Even seen on fox news the other night gun owner reading a THANK YOU letter to Obama.

Gene
05 95" FLHRSI
96 FLSTF ("Street Stalker")

Fxstchewy

There are so many stupid laws now that people break everyday that its just plain silly, if you jump on your bike and ride to Mcdonalds you probably are breaking some kind of "law", i guess we all are going to be criminals.  :teeth:
"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."

RDKing07

Don't just stand by and do nothing. Write your state reps and let them have it. Don't forget who works for who. :gob:

2003flht

my gun dealer just got a whole sh^tload of ammo in last week.  remington, winchester, federal, fiochhi......    shelves are loaded!  (no pun intended....)

Schulzy
North Central CT - USA

TN

try cabelas, i had 500 rounds delivered in three days to my door. :up:

buy an ar while ya can.

TN
Just Ride..........

apendejo

Just went to the local gun outlet and their ammo table was bare. Wanted to pick up some .30-.30 ammo. Nope.
I have a real good supply of black rifle ammo and Garand fodder but I will not be shooting them until a steady supply of ammo becomes available again.
I ended up buying some 20 ga shotgun shells for pretty cheap.
If things don't start getting better think the old saying "Bullets will be the currency of the Apocolypse" might hold some truth.
AP

chopper

Was just reading an article saying the 380 and 9mm is gone!  I was real fortunate to pick up 2 boxes of 38 fmj yesterday for 22.50 a box.
Mind you, I haven't used factory loads in ANYTHING in many years..  but the CCW class I'm taking tomorrow specified only factory loads.  Preferably fmj..
(i wuz hopin to use some wadcutters)

When I registered for the class, the instructor was surprised that I was able find find 38's.  But he had a really GREAT idea...  (imho)

With GM on the verge of going belly up, why don't they do as they did in warimte, and convert over to building guns and ammo?

Damn good idea in my book!
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

blk-betty

March 13, 2009, 02:54:50 PM #9 Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 03:00:36 PM by blk-betty
Read this thread while at work and decided on the way home to stop and pick up some .38 ammo just for kicks.  Guy said they just got a shipment in today but only had about 10 boxes of a brand I never heard of "Mastertech" made in Brazil- maybe it's common enough but I don't shoot much so not familair with the less popular brands.  Anyway box of 158gr regular .38 loads, not +P loads were $25.95 before state sales tax.  Bought one box.

I asked the guy why so litte availibility and so $$ per box, and he said the maunfactures can't keep up with the demand.  I mentioned something about making ammo illegal since they can't make guns illegal and he said:   "He (I assume BO) wants to register all ammo" so when a box is sold each caseing within the box will have a number and when a crime is committed and if the authorities find the casings on the ground while doing an investigation they will be able to trace the casing to the purchaser and likely to the shooter.  Every time you buy a box it will be registered with the numbers in some data base.

If this comes to pass guess that will just start up a blackmarket for unregistered ammo from foreign countries.

Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

taz95dog

checkout ...cheaper than dirt...they had some good prices....taz...
home town va.bch., va. usn '68-'72

-JC-1

Picked up 10 boxes of 9mm 115g fmj ( range rounds)  at Cabelas last weekend, it was about all they had.
The range we go to usually sells us by the case, but Thursday when we went there we were informed they could not for the forseeable future.
bummer
04 FLHT-S&S 124-Baisley-640ez-xxx super g-IST-02-FXST 103 NRA Patron SAF Life

76shuvlinoff

Smart guys are rolling their own ..... no I'm not a smart guy    :cry:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Panzer

March 13, 2009, 03:35:08 PM #13 Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 03:53:29 PM by Panzer
No problem with ammo here in s.e. Pa.
9mm $12.50/box.
Can't say you wern't warned.
Next is HR 45...remember?

Join the NRA people, at least for your guns or be like Great Britain & Australia.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

markslappey

We in the South have been stocking up for 2-3 months -if you have a rifle that shoots 308 or 223 go to a military surplus site -ammunition is still available at gun stores and pawn shops but is high priced -Bass Pro Shops have had good supplies -also try Cabelos -we have been paying 40-45 cents per 223 round if bought in volumns -Ga has not joined the states  that will  require unmarked ammo to be turned in
I am the original Harley Mark that joined in 2000-07 Street Glide and 02 Softail

markslappey

Go to Gun Broker .com -you can bid on all types of ammo
I am the original Harley Mark that joined in 2000-07 Street Glide and 02 Softail

Coyote

I ordered 500 rnds from Cabelas today. They were out of stock but says they should have it in 3 days.

Snuff™

..two words, “Dillon Press”.  Spent many evenings reloading over a thousand in one sitting.  Been reloading for over 20+ years and have had 2 bad rounds.  9mm, 38spl., 357mag, 44mag, Colt45, 45ACP, 454 Casull, 50AE.  Rifle rds. I weigh ea rd. (7mmRem, 300Weatherby, 45-70)

-Snuff :beer: :beer:
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

Skullfork

Isn't a lot of the shortage because of the war in Iraq? 

I was at Wal-Mart yesterday and they had 6 boxes of 100 rounds Winchester .40 cal for $28.98 a box and I bought all six.  Good deal for plinking ammo I thought and was lucky to be there at the right time.  Slim pickins just about everywhere ...

calbyker69

Over the weekend, outside a party in Encanto, the 21 year old daughter of a woman I work with was shot and killed. Drive-by, they put out a sh*tload of rounds and I doubt they were  concerned about where they would get more. Between the Government and the gangs we are getting put down. Remember the opening scenes from "The Warriors"? The bad guys own  the streets and I am starting to wonder just who the bad guys are!

L-

Go look up Dillon Products as they make a fine progressive reloader.  Buy powder, primers, bullets, brass and primers right now to "roll" your own.    I have three of these with a lot of differnt caliber heads and an old Star reloader. Or buy the components for your favorite caliber and then find someone that loads and get to know them real well.  Join a gun club and join the NRA.  No, I am not an alarmist but have started shooting a .22 before the age of 6 with my Dad.  He let me help reload on old single stage stuff.  If anything buy, buy, buy .22 ammo by the brick (500 rounds) every month.  A nice .22 pistol and rifle is still a damn good tool to have around and become proficient with.

L-

takwolf

We do need to let the Government know this is unacceptable. Join a group, any group, and fight for you God-Given RIGHTS! There are things starting around the Country called "Tea Parties", these are rallies for "We The People", to go to and let Our Government know we are not happy.
      ARM YOURSELVES!
"RIDE WITH THE WIND"

xxxflhrci

Another reloader here.  Reloading is expensive compared to what it used to be, but is still less than half the price of store bought ammo and usually better to boot.  I reloaded 3k last month.  I have  a "hook up" for powder directly from the plant.  Even with the increase in components,  I can load a box of .45, .357, or .38's for 6-8 bucks.

boooby1744

not to go too far offbut......A lot of people yell and scream,but what it comes down to is $$$$$. A vote is needed for a candidate,but if you don't kick in some $$$,they ain't gonna win. Same with this issue and others. How many folks belong to the NRA? How about An mrf? AMA? Abate?

silvercab996

All the sporting goods stores and gun shops here are laughing all the way to the bank and thank the NRA and conservative talk radio for perpetuating all the rumors scareing gun owners to death and instilling fear that gun and ammo ownership may be a thing of the past.

I've thought this may be a good time to thin the herd. I've got way more guns than I'll ever need, and from what I've seen I could probably buy a new scoot or two and still be able to arm all my family and friends. In over 30 years of gun ownership and hand loading, thankfully I've never felt the need for a firearm for protection. They are there with plenty of ammo if the need arises, but I'm not counting on it.