May 08, 2024, 11:06:20 AM

News:

Lifter Gone Bad? (120")

Started by Eglider05, August 28, 2014, 07:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kd

Quote from: Eglider05 on August 30, 2014, 06:30:02 AM
Quote from: joe_lyons on August 30, 2014, 05:55:10 AM
It looks pitted from the picture but the quality isn't so good. Try another picture with it all dried off and clean and put the focus on the lobe

I lied, you can catch a fingernail. The oil pump also looks fine. I did find a couple of specks inside it. I haven't found anything like I found with my gear drive failure. That was a mess. I'm thinking I'll drop the pan, pull the sump plug, pop the rockers covers and inspect and flush as best I can. I really don't think this warrants pulling off the top end or does it?

I need to find out what cams I can put in this without running into valve/valve/piston clearance issues. I have contacted Don.

Rick

Quote from: No Cents on August 30, 2014, 06:31:08 AM
sorry...but that cam is "junk" now!
Your going to have to dig deeper now.
There was definitely metal lost from that cam lobe.
Now the 64 million dollar question:   ....was it the cam that failed 1st...or the lifter?

Ray

Or, did the lifter fail because of crud left behind from the gear drive failure. That would make me want to tear it right down. (or wait for a replay when it's back togeather)
KD

rbabos

Quote from: Eglider05 on August 30, 2014, 07:06:14 AM
Quote from: rbabos on August 30, 2014, 07:04:36 AM
Pretty sure kerosene and crockus cloth won't save that one.
Ron

Replacing the cams is a done deal, i just need to figure out with what and how far I'm going to go with pulling this apart. I'm surprised I didn't find a lot of junk in there.

Rick
I was being a smart ass. Old HD service manuals always had the kerosene and croakus cloth method of  taking minor marks out. Damn, you sure are having a lot of bad luck with these things. That heat treatment on the cam is suspect in my opinion. About all I can offer for help.
Ron
Ron

No Cents

I'll just say this...which you can take it or leave it...but there is no way if that was my engine I would just swap cams and put in a fresh set of lifters ...and go.
You already admitted seeing some shiny stuff in the oil pump. The trash off that cam lobe has gone thru that engine. I can't say if any other damage was done...but if it were mine...a complete dis-assemble would be in order to inspect and replace possible bearing damage.
The oil pan would be dropped and cleaned and all oil lines, coolers, etc.
The old saying applies here I believe..."you can pay me now...or pay me later".

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

05FLHTC

Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA

BUBBIE

August 30, 2014, 08:18:31 AM #54 Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 08:44:34 AM by BUBBIE
DON't BOO me please....

If flushed good THEN  several Cheap oil changes. Put a BIG cow magnet on the oil filter bottom for short cut safety... Change it out often for the first 1,000 miles...

Years back I did this as I had NO money for a good Cleaning out the engine by tearing into it... the bearings appeared UN-damaged (Sound)...DID the ABOVE..... That motor lasted as long as I owned the bike and NO problems...

THAT was ME and Just telling a BAD story that had good results...

I know I Know ........     BOOOOOOOOOO :hyst:

signed....BUBBIE

Added Sound
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

Eglider05

Quote from: kd on August 30, 2014, 07:09:41 AM

Or, did the lifter fail because of crud left behind from the gear drive failure. That would make me want to tear it right down. (or wait for a replay when it's back togeather)

No, the gear drive failure was several builds ago. Nothing in the entire motor is the same except for the cases which have been cleaned at least twice since.

Rick

No Cents

Quote from: BUBBIE on August 30, 2014, 08:18:31 AM
DON't BOO me please...

Years back I did this as I had NO money for a good Cleaning out the engine by tearing into it... the bearings appeared UN-damaged.

BUBBIE...just for my curiosity...how did the bearings appear to be UN-damaged...if you didn't see them?   :scratch:
Granted a complete flush and cleaning of the cam chest area and oiling system might get him by...but if it doesn't...he might be right back to where he's at right now.  :nix:
I guess it's a question of "do you feel lucky".
My luck...it would not last long and I'd be pulling it apart again to replace a lot more parts.

Ray

BUBBIE

August 30, 2014, 08:42:46 AM #57 Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 09:27:14 AM by BUBBIE
You got me there Ray.... Not apart to see..... (sound)

IT was LUCK and Today, Guessing I would Tear into it as parts of mine/his (any) build are very expensive and Labor intense to replace Later.......
Better not to follow my suggestion BUT..... I DO like the 3" X 1 1/2" cow magnet on the filter bottom

signed....BUBBIE

Added magnet size
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

joe_lyons

Drop the engine oil through a white shop rag and see what the amount of metal flake is in the oil.  Flush the tank and oil lines.  The top end is fine as the lifters filter that.  Pulling the oil tank would be a good idea for sure.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

Eglider05

Quote from: joe_lyons on August 30, 2014, 08:47:21 AM
Drop the engine oil through a white shop rag and see what the amount of metal flake is in the oil.  Flush the tank and oil lines.  The top end is fine as the lifters filter that.  Pulling the oil tank would be a good idea for sure.

What's the best way to go about flushing the lines. Any tips/tricks will be appreciated. The pan will come off for sure.

Thanks,
Rick

Don D

If you can get hold of a solvent sprayer that tool will help a lot.

No Cents

:agree:  BUBBIE
I'd definitely be wrapping the oil filter with some super strong magnets to hopefully catch anything that wouldn't come out from a good flushing done 1st. I'd drop the oil pan and give it a good cleaning, and any oil lines, and oil coolers, and all parts inside the cam chest area...including the cam plate and oil pump! 
My oil changes would be at 50 miles, 200 miles , and 500 miles...with the oil filters cut open afterwards to see what was caught inside at each oil change. If no metal was found in the oil filters...it's time to drop down on your knees and thank the man above!
This would be the minimum I would do.
anyhow...I wish you the best of luck and I hope you get it back up and running soon.

Ray

Eglider05

Quote from: HD Street Performance on August 30, 2014, 09:48:06 AM

I'll buy one of I have to.

Thanks,
Rick

Eglider05

Quote from: No Cents on August 30, 2014, 09:51:16 AM
  :agree:  BUBBIE
I'd definitely be wrapping the oil filter with some super strong magnets to hopefully catch anything that wouldn't come out from a good flushing done 1st. I'd drop the oil pan and give it a good cleaning, and any oil lines, and oil coolers, and all parts inside the cam chest area...including the cam plate and oil pump! 
My oil changes would be at 50 miles, 200 miles , and 500 miles...with the oil filters cut open afterwards to see what was caught inside at each oil change. If no metal was found in the oil filters...it's time to drop down on your knees and thank the man above!
This would be the minimum I would do.
anyhow...I wish you the best of luck and I hope you get it back up and running soon.

Ray

Thanks to everyone for the tips, I'm hoping for the best.

Rick

Eglider05

Quote from: Eglider05 on August 30, 2014, 10:36:58 AM
Quote from: HD Street Performance on August 30, 2014, 09:48:06 AM

I'll buy one of I have to.

Thanks,
Rick

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Rick

joe_lyons

One of those oil suckers that kinda look like a grease gun will work. Kinda like a big syringe.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

86fxwg

When u pull the pan glue an earth magnet in it. I have a small 1 glued in my cam chest & pan after I've seen what can happen.
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

Don D

August 30, 2014, 05:39:03 PM #67 Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 05:42:13 PM by HD Street Performance
http://www.harborfreight.com/engine-cleaning-gun-68290.html
Considering limited use this should work.
I have an Alemite and Lincoln I have had over 30 years, no idea if they still make them.

Eglider05

Quote from: 86fxwg on August 30, 2014, 05:09:43 PM
When u pull the pan glue an earth magnet in it. I have a small 1 glued in my cam chest & pan after I've seen what can happen.

Sounds like a very good idea. Where did you get your magnets and what did you use to glue them in?

Thanks,
Rick

Eglider05

Quote from: HD Street Performance on August 30, 2014, 05:39:03 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/engine-cleaning-gun-68290.html
Considering limited use this should work.
I have an Alemite and Lincoln I have had over 30 years, no idea if they still make them.

I'll pick one up this weekend. What is the recommended solvent?

Thanks,
Rick

Don D

Kerosene or Diesel Fuel work well.

86fxwg

Quote from: Eglider05 on August 30, 2014, 08:04:22 PM
Quote from: 86fxwg on August 30, 2014, 05:09:43 PM

Sounds like a very good idea. Where did you get your magnets and what did you use to glue them in?

Thanks,
Rick

A bud is a nuclear engineer for the state & got them for me, I used epoxy from Napa been in there 3 Years & 40 thousand miles. Same epoxy they use on magnets in auto trans pans.
86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx

strokerjlk

Quote from: BUBBIE on August 30, 2014, 08:18:31 AM
DON't BOO me please....

If flushed good THEN  several Cheap oil changes. Put a BIG cow magnet on the oil filter bottom for short cut safety... Change it out often for the first 1,000 miles...

Years back I did this as I had NO money for a good Cleaning out the engine by tearing into it... the bearings appeared UN-damaged (Sound)...DID the ABOVE..... That motor lasted as long as I owned the bike and NO problems...

THAT was ME and Just telling a BAD story that had good results...

I know I Know ........     BOOOOOOOOOO :hyst:

signed....BUBBIE

Added Sound
:agree:
Like I said mine has about 35,000 on it since my lifters went south .
That's more miles than some bikes will see in a lifetime .
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

N-gin

Is this the first or second design Gaterman?
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

Eglider05

Quote from: N-gin on August 31, 2014, 04:21:03 AM
Is this the first or second design Gaterman?

Not sure, they're 3 years old if that helps.

Rick