May 08, 2024, 01:15:47 PM

News:

Lifter Gone Bad? (120")

Started by Eglider05, August 28, 2014, 07:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eglider05

So I'm out for a ride today, picture perfect weather, bike running great and then it happened. I pulled off the side of the road briefly so my wife could retrieve something from the tour pac. I didn't shut the motor down, just let it idle. When I accelerated to get back on the road I start hearing the noise in the video. Oil pressure is good, bike doesn't seem down on power. It's up and down with the rpm's, worse at idle and pretty much disappears as the revs climb. Could this be a lifter gone bad?(I hope) What should be the first order of business, pull the lifters?

Thanks,
Rick

05 Eglide
120" (SE crank, welded, balanced/Timken)
Kury WT26G cams (1.75 ratio rockers)
Gaterman Lifters
Don's SE110 heads (10.5 comp)
HPI 58mm (1.8 IR)
SE 5.3 injectors
TMAX

Here's a quickie video.
http://youtu.be/JzSGSx0NOEc

Ohio HD

Sounds like cam bearing or lifter roller. I would definitely take it apart, and not run it anymore.

Eglider05

Quote from: Ohio HD on August 28, 2014, 07:08:51 PM
Sounds like cam bearing or lifter roller. I would definitely take it apart, and not run it anymore.

I'm hoping it's a lifter. I've had some intermittent lifter noise but didn't think too much about it. There was nothing out of the ordinary when it happened, pulled off, stopped for maybe a minute and a half and throttle up and there it is. Up to this point this thing has been trouble free.

Rick

Ohio HD

I hear the knock, but also sounds like a squeal too. Could just be the recorded sound, sometimes not the same as being there.

Eglider05

August 28, 2014, 07:41:45 PM #4 Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 05:56:08 AM by Eglider05
Quote from: Ohio HD on August 28, 2014, 07:27:08 PM
I hear the knock, but also sounds like a squeal too. Could just be the recorded sound, sometimes not the same as being there.

I heard the squeal too, my wife says no. I popped the clips off the pushrods and I can slightly move the rear intake pr. The others are tight.

Rick

rigidthumper

Sounds like a lifter roller quit rolling. Hope you stopped it before it damaged the cams.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

joe_lyons

Does the sound follow the engine load or just rpm?  Example of this is if on decell and idle you hear the noise but on throttle it goes away.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

Eglider05

Quote from: rigidthumper on August 28, 2014, 07:48:38 PM
Sounds like a lifter roller quit rolling. Hope you stopped it before it damaged the cams.

Me too, I should know later tomorrow.

Rick

Eglider05

Quote from: joe_lyons on August 28, 2014, 07:55:38 PM
Does the sound follow the engine load or just rpm?  Example of this is if on decell and idle you hear the noise but on throttle it goes away.

Didn't go far after this happened. I don't recall if it did it on decell but is definitely worse at idle. On throttle is does seem to go away.

Rick

No Cents

:pop:
keep us posted what you find Rick!

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Eglider05

Quote from: No Cents on August 29, 2014, 02:56:15 AM
keep us posted what you find Rick!

Ray

You can bank on that, I'll be back asking for advice on this one I'm sure. I hope to get into it later today. I can't wait too long as it's driving me crazy. Regardless of what this turns out to be I going to throw in a set of the S&S premium lifters with limiters in.

Rick

Sc00ter

Almost sounds more like a valve not closing to me...   :nix:

Eglider05

August 29, 2014, 07:23:26 AM #12 Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 07:45:40 AM by Eglider05
It's the front exhaust lifter. It still turns pretty freely. I assume I have to go deeper?

Thanks,
Rick

Flat spot.

Admiral Akbar

So do you still like gatermans?

Max

Add:
Miles on the motor?

Max

BUBBIE

:missed:

Other than That Lifter,,,,,,,,,,,,, That motor sure makes me feeeeeeeel good to listen to.....

Nice sounding video.... BECAUSE NOW we have a sound track that tells us about "A" lifter noise...

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

Ohio HD

Quote from: Eglider05 on August 29, 2014, 07:23:26 AM
It's the front exhaust lifter. It still turns pretty freely. I assume I have to go deeper?

Thanks,
Rick

I sure would.

Sorry to see that, but better to find it this way, than after it exploded.

Eglider05

Quote from: Max Headflow on August 29, 2014, 07:51:34 AM
So do you still like gatermans?

Max

Add:
Miles on the motor?

Max

Not so much anymore.

I'm thinking there's about 16k on the motor. So what should my next move be?

No Cents

August 29, 2014, 09:00:42 AM #17 Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 09:04:50 AM by No Cents
pull the cam plate and cams and take a good look at the cams, and the cam plate, the oil pump, and cam bearings.

Ray

added later:
I too am sorry to see this happen to you.
Did you say the roller on the lifter still spins freely...it looks like the roller bearings are a mess?
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Eglider05 on August 29, 2014, 08:55:18 AM

Not so much anymore.

I'm thinking there's about 16k on the motor. So what should my next move be?

Pull the cam chest..

Max

Eglider05

Thanks for the replies, I figured as much.  I don't want to do more than necessary but I also don't want to shortcut it. Had to check my records,, it looks like closer to18-20k on the motor.

Thanks,
Rick

Don D

Sorry to hear that!
As a recovery plan start thinking about flushing the system, that crud travels

BUBBIE

Read this on another thread....
FSG saying: Reply #4

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,76201.0.html

signed....BUBBIE

Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

Eglider05

Quote from: HD Street Performance on August 29, 2014, 09:11:25 AM
Sorry to hear that!
As a recovery plan start thinking about flushing the system, that crud travels

Hi Don,

If I pull the high ratio  rockers what cams will bolt  in without a lot of fuss. I need to get this back on the road.

Thanks,
Rick

clawdog60

ok so root cause here? sitting on the side stand idling, come on?  With cams and the like is this stuff like a race engine and cant idle below 1800 rpm?

Eglider05

Quote from: clawdog60 on August 29, 2014, 10:20:15 AM
ok so root cause here? sitting on the side stand idling, come on?  With cams and the like is this stuff like a race engine and cant idle below 1800 rpm?

Wasn't on the side stand, not that it would matter. Just a lifter failure.