May 09, 2024, 05:32:33 AM

News:

Fuel Filter

Started by Coyote, September 11, 2014, 04:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyote

After 56,000 miles I finally decided to change my fuel filter on my 2011 touring bike. Ordered a new filter from calif phil when I placed my last order. Filter was from Drag but looked just like the OEM one... just less money.

Guess I should change it a bit more often, huh?  :embarrassed:

[attach=0]

76shuvlinoff

wow
Been doing river crossings?
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Eglider05

I've got a friends 2000 RK in my garage right now, first fuel filter change in 154K miles. You should have seen the K&N air filter. The dirtiest air filter I've ever seen in my life. It's only been 75K since I put it in.  :teeth: I wrongly assumed he knew it needed to be cleaned and oiled once in a while.

Rick

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: Coyote on September 11, 2014, 04:46:50 PM
After 56,000 miles I finally decided to change my fuel filter on my 2011 touring bike. Ordered a new filter from calif phil when I placed my last order. Filter was from Drag but looked just like the OEM one... just less money.

Or just buy cleaner fuel.   The earlier style needs to be changed more often.  I was lazy about changing my original,  I could feel the performance starting to fall off at about 40K,  by the time I changed it the filter was definitely restricted.  I changed the second one at 38K and it was as clear/free flowing as the new replacement.  Fuel dictates the interval IMO.   Rick

strokerjlk

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on September 11, 2014, 10:07:36 PM
Quote from: Coyote on September 11, 2014, 04:46:50 PM

Or just buy cleaner fuel.   The earlier style needs to be changed more often.  I was lazy about changing my original,  I could feel the performance starting to fall off at about 40K,  by the time I changed it the filter was definitely restricted.  I changed the second one at 38K and it was as clear/free flowing as the new replacement.  Fuel dictates the interval IMO.   Rick
So what was your fuel pressure drop ?
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

04 SE Deuce

Keith or I?   

I never measured mine but the bike acted like it did when the fuel line developed holes in it,  would run ok at anything up to about 1/2 throttle,  more throttle or wot it was down on power acceleration was noticeably slower than normal.  When I changed the filter the bike came alive,  my buddy even commented that he had to get all of it to keep a wheel ahead of me with his DL1000. 

My 89 Chevy truck did the same thing back when I went 70K on the factory filter,  fuel pump was growling in protest,  dealer techs said that will cause pumps to fail early...changed the filter pump is still going.   Rick

strokerjlk

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on September 12, 2014, 09:57:21 AM
Keith or I?   

I never measured mine but the bike acted like it did when the fuel line developed holes in it,  would run ok at anything up to about 1/2 throttle,  more throttle or wot it was down on power acceleration was noticeably slower than normal.  When I changed the filter the bike came alive,  my buddy even commented that he had to get all of it to keep a wheel ahead of me with his DL1000. 

My 89 Chevy truck did the same thing back when I went 70K on the factory filter,  fuel pump was growling in protest,  dealer techs said that will cause pumps to fail early...changed the filter pump is still going.   Rick
I was asking about yours . Keith didnt say he lost power.

clawdog60

bad tanks,dirty fuel in northern cali. whewww

ScottyMoore

MOCO says change Fuel Filter every 25000 Mi..................
Rock 'n' Roll is good for you

Coyote

Quote from: ScottyMoore on September 12, 2014, 10:24:25 AM

MOCO says lots of things I may or may not do.  :hyst:

Coyote

Quote from: strokerjlk on September 12, 2014, 10:04:32 AM
Keith or I?   

Is there any chance this could have contributed to the WOT pinging that seemed to have been a little worse in the last 6 months or so?  I can't speak to power loss as I probably would not have noticed it gradually. I haven't had time to take the bike out since I changed the filter. Suppose to be over a 100 here today.   :emsad:

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: ScottyMoore on September 12, 2014, 10:24:25 AM

:up:  I'd say 35K maybe.

Quote from: clawdog60 on September 12, 2014, 10:14:17 AM

Don't kid yourself,  that bike has seen a lot of states.   Rick

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: Coyote on September 12, 2014, 10:30:21 AM
Is there any chance this could have contributed to the WOT pinging that seemed to have been a little worse in the last 6 months or so?  I can't speak to power loss as I probably would not have noticed it gradually. I haven't had time to take the bike out since I changed the filter. Suppose to be over a 100 here today.   :emsad:

For sure,  you may notice that the bike pulls harder at higher rpm and wot or close...where you don't ride very often,  passing etc.   

Same type of thing with the weak fuel pump in Soft02's bike on the dyno day before yesterday....fuel pressure went to/close to zero at anything above 40% throttle.   Rick

ScottyMoore

something you could, something you should, something you have to
Rock 'n' Roll is good for you

Coyote

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on September 12, 2014, 10:32:24 AM
Quote from: clawdog60 on September 12, 2014, 10:14:17 AM

Don't kid yourself,  that bike has seen a lot of states.   Rick

Yeah, this bike has run more fuel from other states than Cali.
Every now and then, you get stuck filling up at some pretty ugly looking stations.   :nix:

04 SE Deuce

:up:  Had a bit of trouble in Preach's neighborhood (40miles away) finding gas stations that were still in business or had a premium pump that the belt didn't slip/squall,  refusing to dispense fuel.  Preach,  bless his heart,  was doing his best to accommodate my picky ass.    Rick 

strokerjlk

Keith or I?   

Could be if the fuel pressure dropped.
Put  the map with the aggressive timing back in and give it a go .
I really think your build should take that kind of wot timing myself

04 SE Deuce

Fuel pressure regulator only regulates fuel pressure,  can't make it if it's not there....fuel map goes lean at larger throttle percentages and higher rpms.  I've mentioned this here over the years but seem to get ignored.   Rick

Coyote

Quote from: strokerjlk on September 12, 2014, 11:43:46 AM
Keith or I?   

Could be if the fuel pressure dropped.
Put  the map with the aggressive timing back in and give it a go .
I really think your build should take that kind of wot timing myself

OK, I'll go back to my original map next time I go out.

strokerjlk

Try the one with the added Afr  and timing at wot also

Coyote

:doh:   OK, so the original map does not ping now. Got the bike good and hot. So I put your -002 map in Jim. The bike sounds and pulls better with that one at WOT but it does ping some still. Pings some at 3200 and then again at 3800 up. If I back off of WOT it stops. This is going up a pretty steep grade on the hiway so the motor is loaded pretty good.

strokerjlk

Quote from: Coyote on September 12, 2014, 01:28:39 PM
:doh:   OK, so the original map does not ping now. Got the bike good and hot. So I put your -002 map in Jim. The bike sounds and pulls better with that one at WOT but it does ping some still. Pings some at 3200 and then again at 3800 up. If I back off of WOT it stops. This is going up a pretty steep grade on the hiway so the motor is loaded pretty good.
sent another one.

04 SE Deuce

We have piss poor fuel here in the Golden state...residents of other states may be blessed with better petro. 

One of the reasons I question some of the CCP suggestions...regardless of how good the tune is.  Rick 

strokerjlk

Need some good ole corn

Coyote