May 08, 2024, 05:19:36 AM

News:

WinPEP 8

Started by Matt C, December 05, 2014, 03:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt C

Anyone have any feedback on WinPEP 8 vs 7? I'm wondering if I should upgrade or leave it alone.
(Don't really feel like learning a new software package) tia..

Just Nick

I have been told by three different people to wait until all the bugs are worked out but that it is a great system I will be upgrading myself once it's debugged
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

Don D

Ask Steve, he is in your neighborhood

hrdtail78

I got one question about it.  Is it worth the money?

What I have noticed.  FuelMoto is still posting in 7.  Maybe that answers my question.
Semper Fi

joe_lyons

I like the idea of two o2 sensors recording at full speed instead of one but I thought that should have been done long ago.  If you do power commander 5 very often then I guess it would not be so bad as the tunning link software is built in and from what I heard tunes both cyls at the same time. 
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

uglyDougly

When I started at my latest job this spring, they have a DJ 250 (old style, not a 250i) and its performance was dismal compared to my DynaPro (that's what Bazzaz is selling.)
I pressed them to upgrade to WinPEP8. Instead of one pulse per revolution of the drum, WinPEP8 has 16, so the speed control is much better.
At first I ran it with the Win XP computer that had been slogging around with WP7.It ran the dyno control software real slow (didn't stop the run immediately when the button was pushed.) It didn't want to operate the C3 tuning  software either.
Clearly, the speed control is so much better than WP7 that the support guys think you don't need to adjust the PIDs but I compare it to the DynaPro, so adjusting the PIDs helped a lot.
Once we got a windows8 PC everything works like it's supposed to.
I simply won't tune a Harley with a PCIII or PC5, so the only PC5 tuning I've done is a few Sportbikes and I have to say the C3 auto-tune works brilliantly.
Just click on your starting point cell and it waits 'til you get the TP there and just does the business as soon as you do.
If you have used steady-state with WP7 you may not do much steady-state testing. WP8 changes that!
I didn't have to buy it so my opinion about its value doesn't count.
It did turn the DJ dyno from something I hated to use into a piece that works quite well. Keep in mind that I had something else (IMO better) to compare it to.

Doug
If you don't check your work, you can assume it's perfect.

hrdtail78

Quote from: uglyDougly on December 06, 2014, 12:36:53 PM

If you have used steady-state with WP7 you may not do much steady-state testing. WP8 changes that!

Thanks for the input.  I'm a bit confused on what you are trying to say here.
Semper Fi

harleytuner

Roeder Racing switched to WinPep8 last summer when I was working there.  Like any change I hated it at first.  But I came to like it.  I tuned on average 350 bikes a year there, I was getting really burned out on the dyno, the ability of WinPep8 to sample both cylinders at teh same time made life great, cut my tune time down by about a third.  It would have been nice if DJ wouldn't have made the program completely differn't than WinPep7, at least for someone that is used to 7.  After you get used to the software it's nice.  I plan on upgrading my 250i when money allows.

strokerjlk

Quote from: MCE on December 05, 2014, 03:09:24 PM
Anyone have any feedback on WinPEP 8 vs 7? I'm wondering if I should upgrade or leave it alone.
IIRC correctly you don't have a eddy current brake. 
So it would probably be a good in investment for the brake alone .
Other than that it's not worth the upgrade ,until DJ won't support winpep 7 any longer .
I replaced all my electronics this past summer and DJ still supports everything .

I don't have any desire to link with DJ , or use there AFR sampling other than for verification.  So none of that is a big deal to me .
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

HD/Wrench

December 13, 2014, 05:36:00 AM #9 Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 11:14:09 AM by Gmr-Performance
Quote from: MCE on December 05, 2014, 03:09:24 PM

Matt

Do not believe everything you read on the net  :wink:  I have it , come on over I will be happy to show you how it works, you can run it if you want. Hands down its a improvement.  The issue with 7 is not so much what DJ will do but what the PC world is doing. Nothing has been done on 7 since before 2006.

There is no linking up but updates will be via the internet,  twin wides bands are extremely nice. I have the DTT system and its not something I need to use since 8. I am running fuel pressure as a log file as well. Boost can be added, ( many things can be ) brake is much smoother, and the control form the pendant is very nice.  PV tuning through the system for auto is something everyone will have in the future ( its not 100% yet)  PCV works like a dream . Tons of options as a shop I did not have to give it much thought as to what is more stream lined.

I like it .  :up:

hrdtail78

Thanks for the real world info.
Semper Fi

Just Nick

Well Steve according to the internet i am a french model , And i will be upgrading to 8 some time next year from the conversations you and i have had about winpep 8 it sounds like a great system.
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

Buglet

I have 8 for over 6 months now and I like a lot, plus I got a deal on it that I couldn't refuse it.The best part I like about it is the 2 a/f that saves me time and I don't have to run the bike as much. And as far as the brake I still like it in 7. I was out to dynojet and they told me that 8 was suppost to be much better. I ran there dynos out there one with 7 and the other with 8 with the same bike. They watch me and I show them how I ran the bikes and had a bunch of questions, some of them they were working a the others they were ckecking them out. The thing we agree on is that the dyno I have is far from being happy its more on the sad side witch I'am ok with, being I don't use it to chase numbers, I use it to see improvements with. The other thing I found out the 8 even shows lower numbers then the 7 but it only slight. But I still left the option to use 7 on the dyno. According to dynojet the next update is coming out soon with a lot of changers. As far as watching they are not It's only to keep you up dated. But if they want to watch that ok with me, It would of save me a trip.   

harleytuner

Quote from: BUGLET on December 14, 2014, 03:21:34 PM
   I have 8 for over 6 months now and I like a lot, plus I got a deal on it that I couldn't refuse it.The best part I like about it is the 2 a/f that saves me time and I don't have to run the bike as much. And as far as the brake I still like it in 7. I was out to dynojet and they told me that 8 was suppost to be much better. I ran there dynos out there one with 7 and the other with 8 with the same bike. They watch me and I show them how I ran the bikes and had a bunch of questions, some of them they were working a the others they were ckecking them out. The thing we agree on is that the dyno I have is far from being happy its more on the sad side witch I'am ok with, being I don't use it to chase numbers, I use it to see improvements with. The other thing I found out the 8 even shows lower numbers then the 7 but it only slight. But I still left the option to use 7 on the dyno. According to dynojet the next update is coming out soon with a lot of changers. As far as watching they are not It's only to keep you up dated. But if they want to watch that ok with me, It would of save me a trip.

I'm curious to know how you can use 7 or 8?  The one I used started with 7 and they converted it to eight.  Since it got a whole new stack and everything I didn't think you could run it with 7.  Can you elaborate on this please?

Buglet

Its simple since you have two different electronics. All you have to do is make a bracket to hold both pickups since the old pickup wheel is left on. and a switch at the eddy brake. Then you have your choice or 7 or 8. 

BVHOG

I ran the Dyno at Hyperformance last summer with 8 and I thought it was pretty straightforward and easy to understand as far as a change over would be concerned. The brake was not as smooth as my own dyno but that could be corrected with the proper PIDs  I will update when necessary but just don't feel the need right now and would like to see some of the reported bugs worked out first.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

harleytuner

Quote from: BUGLET on December 15, 2014, 06:26:10 AM
    Its simple since you have two different electronics. All you have to do is make a bracket to hold both pickups since the old pickup wheel is left on. and a switch at the eddy brake. Then you have your choice or 7 or 8.

Thanks for the info, i'll pass it on to them, I'm no longer with Roeders but the info will be nice if/when I upgrade my 250i to Win8

HD/Wrench

We have never run the " stock " pid settings. so with that I can say that I feel the brake is much smoother.. As for swapping from 7-8 its not just a simple click of the mouse as 8 comes with a complete new theta controller and wiring into the board so it going to a bit of swapping things around.

harleytuner

Quote from: Gmr-Performance on December 15, 2014, 08:49:52 AM
We have never run the " stock " pid settings. so with that I can say that I feel the brake is much smoother.. As for swapping from 7-8 its not just a simple click of the mouse as 8 comes with a complete new theta controller and wiring into the board so it going to a bit of swapping things around.

That's what I thought to, I also know we had to re-wire the brake to 220V

Buglet

Its not that hard, you are running two different systems separately. As far as the theta controller both are used and only one at a time. The switch is before the eddy brake, so you can use either theta to control the brake. When you use 7 you don't power up the 8. vise visa. As for as the brake and the pid setting i don't use the stock settings either and I still have better control with the 7 on this dyno and the one I ran at dynojet for the way I run the dyno. They are looking into it and working on some changers.   

HD/Wrench

there you go as for the numbers being off that is odd though. Nothing changed on our machine. We have a brand new stack new theta controller ( for 7) and then I started to have issue's with  my hard drive. Being that I had one custom built this go round I add the correct slot for the PCI express card. However it is getting harder to find the ones I like that seem to last the longest. So Knowing that 7 is never going to update to ehternet or USB  seemed like a great time to swap over. 

Funny on the brake as 7 was ok but 8 on mine is super nice .  :nix:

harleytuner

Quote from: Gmr-Performance on December 16, 2014, 05:26:51 AM
there you go as for the numbers being off that is odd though. Nothing changed on our machine. We have a brand new stack new theta controller ( for 7) and then I started to have issue's with  my hard drive. Being that I had one custom built this go round I add the correct slot for the PCI express card. However it is getting harder to find the ones I like that seem to last the longest. So Knowing that 7 is never going to update to ehternet or USB  seemed like a great time to swap over. 

Funny on the brake as 7 was ok but 8 on mine is super nice .  :nix:

I liked the brake at Roeders a lot better with 7.  When they went to 8 it takes a lot longer for it to stop, and the load control is worthless on bikes with a lot of low end power.

Buglet

If you take a run you did in 7 and check in in 8. The ones I check out show lower numbers not much but there were off. As far as the brake if you check the % of how much it take to get to the target, it take 8  more then the 7. It might be me but I think that's put more strain on the dyno a the bike. 7 uses less % to get to the target. This shows on my dyno and dynojets dyno. Like I said before that is one of the thing they are looking into. I guess I just got good with the 7 as I could get it to the target almost instant. I still like  8, but just saying what I found out what is different between the 7 and 8 and dynojet is constantly working on improvements.   

HD/Wrench

yes the % is higher to hold the bike , use a taller gear on the bigger bikes.  IF you never used 7 and only 8 it would be the best ha ha ..

hrdtail78

Is it actually more brake being applied or is it a difference in indication?
Semper Fi