April 27, 2024, 07:00:06 PM

News:

Baker comp almost ready for shipping.

Started by Soft 02, January 07, 2015, 01:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbabos

Quote from: FSG on January 07, 2015, 08:29:51 PM
I'd like to see those coming out with replacement Comps do something with the reversible  Sprocket Shaft Spacer 24009-06, by that I mean make a non-reversible one that provides more contact with the inside of the rotor.
I actually like that mod. :up: Spacer pressure point against rotor was always iffy in my opinion.
Ron

rbabos

Quote from: juice1775 on January 08, 2015, 03:46:03 AM
Figures, I just went with the latest SE design. Keep us posted!
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. There are some on this forum that claim there are no issues with the OEM SE comp as it its. :hyst:
Ron

Durwood

Quote from: rbabos on January 08, 2015, 05:18:46 AM
I'd like to see those coming out with replacement Comps do something with the reversible  Sprocket Shaft Spacer 24009-06, by that I mean make a non-reversible one that provides more contact with the inside of the rotor.
I actually like that mod. :up: Spacer pressure point against rotor was always iffy in my opinion.
Ron
I have a friend that has a nice groove cut in the rotor where the spacer rides, on a bike he services.

He is thinking that his son installed the splined hub backwards, evidently this must be more common?

rbabos

Quote from: Durwood on January 08, 2015, 05:27:53 AM
Quote from: rbabos on January 08, 2015, 05:18:46 AM
Ron
I have a friend that has a nice groove cut in the rotor where the spacer rides, on a bike he services.

He is thinking that his son installed the splined hub backwards, evidently this must be more common?
Rotor material is soft compared the the rest of the components,  allowing the bearing spacer to imprint it. This causes a loss of original torque of the compensator bolt up. Lose enough then the rotor starts to shift back and forth at low rpms, chewing in a deeper groove into the rotor contact face.
Ron

Badgerbob

06roadglide

I can't believe it's took this long for someone the design a pre 06 style comp.  I always wondered why it hasn't been done, guess I should have jumped on it.

BUBBIE

Quote from: BJB on January 07, 2015, 07:46:01 PM
My '09 had been "bucking" some of the hot restarts. Curious what this unit gets for feed back and pricing. Having to buy a new rotor and grind on the primary case to get the old one out makes you look for alternatives.

IF ME, I go the FULL route of disassembly of the INNER Primary... I thought to go the less time? and grind away on My 09 King...

Glad I did the full take-apart. The bearing behind the clutch/primary bearing looked like a Dimpled Golf Ball...  :unsure:

Just Saying for Others here.....

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

Durwood

My 2011 stocker, (Early SE) could crash tomorrow, but I have had absolutely no issues with it to date, and 23,000 miles, It sounds and acts just like it did in Sept of 2011.

I use 32oz of formula plus at every oil change. Plus my bike has been properly tuned since new, irratic timing is one of the big contributors to compensator failure IMHO.

Glad to see there is an alternative on the horizon.

Eglider05

January 08, 2015, 09:14:06 AM #33 Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 11:34:09 AM by Eglider05
Quote from: JohnCA58 on January 07, 2015, 04:48:27 PM
Look forward to seeing this unit at the V Twin show.  might change my mind on getting a new style touring bike.

There's still the FBW on the newer bikes that I can't get too enthused about. (JMHO).

Rick

Templer

Just installed the newest SE comp and now this?? Now I am seeing WHY people buy everything else Hondos.Yamahaha,etc  :scratch:
Here is hoping that it corrects the comp problem or SLOWS IT DOWN A BIT!!
1900 or so    HD    A hundred $$$
1950 or so    HD    HUNDREDS of $$$$$
2000 or so    HD    THOSANDS (Ya it dont fit) $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Hell the Japs dont want HD

harley#1

now maybe someone can come up with the tyranny main bearing fix. they would make a killing.

hdrolling

Seeing that I'm on my 4 comp (second 2014 style) Id be willing in to pay $600 if this one worked and I didn't have to keep changing comps so often!
2010 FLHX 120R, Tman 662-2,Boarzilla, S&S lifters, AV&V springs,10.8:1

joe_lyons

Quote from: Templer on January 08, 2015, 09:25:43 AM
Just installed the newest SE comp and now this?? Now I am seeing WHY people buy everything else Hondos.Yamahaha,etc  :scratch:
Here is hoping that it corrects the comp problem or SLOWS IT DOWN A BIT!!
1900 or so    HD    A hundred $$$
1950 or so    HD    HUNDREDS of $$$$$
2000 or so    HD    THOSANDS (Ya it dont fit) $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Hell the Japanese dont want HD
Actually harley sells a ton in Japan, look it up.
Quote from: hdrolling on January 08, 2015, 04:25:52 PM
Seeing that I'm on my 4 comp (second 2014 style) Id be willing in to pay $600 if this one worked and I didn't have to keep changing comps so often!
What happened to your 14 comp?
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

Ohio HD

Quote from: Templer on January 08, 2015, 09:25:43 AM
Hell the Japanese dont want HD

Where do you think all of the Shovels have gone? Europe and Asia. 

rageglide

That is a thing of beauty.

Baker may be expensive as hell, but they build some seriously better mouse traps.  (although the newer chain adjuster is not quite as better, IMO)

Price probably will be cost prohibitive to most, but then again the Compensaver ain't cheap neither... HD accepting defeat and buying the design from Baker is not an unrealistic idea... that said, it's more likely they'd steal the design and claim they already own the patents for the functional design.

hdrolling

What happened to your 14 comp?
[/quote]

Same as the other three, the ramps started to show lots of wear and caused the bike to start hard and back fire if it failed to start. Also had the loud clunk at shut down.

2010 FLHX 120R, Tman 662-2,Boarzilla, S&S lifters, AV&V springs,10.8:1

Badgerbob

hd rolling on the 09 up there's been a lot of failure on the comps. This hasn't just started.

Also welcome.

chico

Im one of the people that has not had a problem with the very first comp update.  :pop:
But then again im not one that tries to make a race bike out of a freight train, just enough to make me happy.

Reddog74usa

I had an EVO making 140 HP and never had an issue with the old style comp. It handeled the power with no issues so I could never understand why they felt the need to reinvent it. In fact I had posted a question here on HTT about this and was told the reason for the redesign was because the earlier comp was harder on the crank so they had to do something to address the crank failures. Ok they tried it, it doesn't work, so why not go back to the tried n true 99-02 cranks with timkens and the older version comp??? :nix: It's great to see Baker addressing this and coming out with what looks like a decent fix. I just hope it does't bring the issues back to the cranks all over again. :pop:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

rbabos

Quote from: Reddog74usa on January 09, 2015, 05:05:47 AM
I had an EVO making 140 HP and never had an issue with the old style comp. It handeled the power with no issues so I could never understand why they felt the need to reinvent it. In fact I had posted a question here on HTT about this and was told the reason for the redesign was because the earlier comp was harder on the crank so they had to do something to address the crank failures. Ok they tried it, it doesn't work, so why not go back to the tried n true 99-02 cranks with timkens and the older version comp??? :nix: It's great to see Baker addressing this and coming out with what looks like a decent fix. I just hope it does't bring the issues back to the cranks all over again. :pop:
Most certainly did drop the amount of shifted cranks going from the early 07 comp to the new SE's.

1FSTRK

Quote from: rbabos on January 09, 2015, 05:30:16 AM
Most certainly did drop the amount of shifted cranks going from the early 07 comp to the new SE's.

Really, it was the comp?
I thought i read they changed the specs on the cranks and added protection to the ecm software. :nix:
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Reddog74usa

This isn't Gospel, just what I read here on HTT so that could very well be the case
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

rbabos

Quote from: 1FSTRK on January 09, 2015, 07:13:40 AM
Quote from: rbabos on January 09, 2015, 05:30:16 AM

Really, it was the comp?
I thought i read they changed the specs on the cranks and added protection to the ecm software. :nix:
Specs were to extend their level of runout to eliminate more warranty claims. The SE was brought out to protect the crank, and cleverly marketed as a race component. Funny how when most bought one on their own dime it eventually became a stock component.  :wink: Shock loads on the first year version comps was rediculous. With it's jackhammer effect it was almost as bad as a solid comp. Key goal was to ease up on the crank shock and between the SE and like you say a bit tighter press MoCo greatly got out of many warranty claims. The fact they also needed to protect with ECM software points to the fact the pressed cranks can and do slip. Just way less then the early days. Say you get the crank treated, then the next week link is the crank splines. Shock protection still a good idea and more so as the engines get pushed in hp and torque. Just how I see it.
Ron

hrdtail78

What protection did they put into the ECM?
Semper Fi

Soft 02

The Baker comp will be right around $400. If there is a demand for a different tooth count im sure they will make it.
07 FXST 124" Vee Twin built!
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA