April 28, 2024, 04:46:13 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Biketronic system + Hogtunes tweeters = UGH...

Started by Kryingame, January 07, 2015, 06:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryingame

This is just a learning lesson that I want to share.

Here's my current setup:
2012 SG
Biketronic (BT) 7.1's in the fairing;
BT 6.5's in the lowers;
BT 4180 Amp;
Biketronics radio install kit;
Pioneer TSD-6902R 6x9's
Sony MEX-GS610BT, HU;
Hogtune tweeters.

Now, on paper that's a solid setup.  I'll admit when I first started with audio, Bigdaddy UN advised me not to go with the Hogtune tweeters.  He said that they would contribute very little.

The problem was, after 15 minutes of playing my tunes, I kept blowing a fuse.  Couldn't figure out why.  I then took everything apart to see if I wasn't grounded properly or if there was a loose wire.  Nothing. Just kept blowing fuses.

I called Biketronics and spoke to Bill and told him my dilemma.  After a few seconds, he diagnosed the problem.

The BT 4180 is a 4 channel amp, so I was running the fairing and lowers parallel.  And then having the 6x9's going into the other channels.  But, I had the Hogtune tweeters cut and parallel with the fairing and lower speakers.  I never gave it a second thought because how powerful could those damn tweeters be?  Well, they were the problem.  They were causing my system to overload and blow the fuse. 

Bill says if you're gonna run those tweeters, have them run into the HU and not with the other speakers into the amp.  Since those tweeters really can't contribute much, I just decided to disconnected them and put some electric tape around the wires.  200 miles later, I'm blasting my system and no fuse blowouts.

Point of this story is, fully plan out your set up.  Before you start wiring up, think it through and even talk to an expert.  Even something small as tweeters can cause a major F/U.

To many mods to tell...

tdgriff

Quote from: Kryingame on January 07, 2015, 06:56:08 PM
This is just a learning lesson that I want to share.

Here's my current setup:
2012 SG
Biketronic (BT) 7.1's in the fairing;
BT 6.5's in the lowers;
BT 4180 Amp;
Biketronics radio install kit;
Pioneer TSD-6902R 6x9's
Sony MEX-GS610BT, HU;
Hogtune tweeters.

Now, on paper that's a solid setup.  I'll admit when I first started with audio, Bigdaddy UN advised me not to go with the Hogtune tweeters.  He said that they would contribute very little.

The problem was, after 15 minutes of playing my tunes, I kept blowing a fuse.  Couldn't figure out why.  I then took everything apart to see if I wasn't grounded properly or if there was a loose wire.  Nothing. Just kept blowing fuses.

I called Biketronics and spoke to Bill and told him my dilemma.  After a few seconds, he diagnosed the problem.

The BT 4180 is a 4 channel amp, so I was running the fairing and lowers parallel.  And then having the 6x9's going into the other channels.  But, I had the Hogtune tweeters cut and parallel with the fairing and lower speakers.  I never gave it a second thought because how powerful could those damn tweeters be?  Well, they were the problem.  They were causing my system to overload and blow the fuse. 

Bill says if you're gonna run those tweeters, have them run into the HU and not with the other speakers into the amp.  Since those tweeters really can't contribute much, I just decided to disconnected them and put some electric tape around the wires.  200 miles later, I'm blasting my system and no fuse blowouts.

Point of this story is, fully plan out your set up.  Before you start wiring up, think it through and even talk to an expert.  Even something small as tweeters can cause a major F/U.
I did the same thing you did but blew 4 sets of bts I took them off the bike Bill sent me new speaker's and it stopped. In the long run I really did not care I did not like the way hog tweeters looked. Put in gauge tweeters

Kryingame

So, your speakers blew from those damn tweeters?  wow!!!

Since I have a Sony HU, I was able to listen to each set of speakers (with the Sony app).  My speakers are fine.  When I first started having problems, I uninstalled the amp and Bill sent me a new one.  Sucks because I now know there was nothing wrong with the amp  but it's great to know that there are actual good reputable vendors out there (surprise, surprise).  I'm talking about Biketronics not ....
To many mods to tell...

tdgriff

Quote from: Kryingame on January 07, 2015, 07:16:04 PM
So, your speakers blew from those damn tweeters?  wow!!!

Since I have a Sony HU, I was able to listen to each set of speakers (with the Sony app).  My speakers are fine.  When I first started having problems, I uninstalled the amp and Bill sent me a new one.  Sucks because I now know there was nothing wrong with the amp  but it's great to know that there are actual good reputable vendors out there (surprise, surprise).  I'm talking about Biketronics not ....
that's really funny. To get honest though bill is the one that figured out the hogtunes were blowing my speakers the way they were wired. Go with the gauge ones and you'll be a lot happier just go off the hu wires not the amp .

Kryingame

Seriously though, since BT also sells those tweeters, they should warn folks.

Now, I didn't buy the tweeters from them but when I was putting my order together, I do remember mentioning that I had Hogtune tweeters installed. 

That would have saved me alot of time and cash, had I known in the beginning.

But oh well, it's a lesson learned.
To many mods to tell...

I love my Hogtunes tweeters, I feel the add a lot to the system going down the road.
02 Heritage, 08 Ultra Classic, Mesa Arizona

zeke383

I'm surprised that you felt you needed the tweeters with the BT 7.1's and 6.5's in front of you. Personally, with just my 7.1's in the fairing (haven't installed my 6.5's in the lowers yet) more highs are the last thing I would want. We're your highs lacking? Just curious...

tdgriff

Quote from: zeke383 on January 08, 2015, 04:55:23 AM
I'm surprised that you felt you needed the tweeters with the BT 7.1's and 6.5's in front of you. Personally, with just my 7.1's in the fairing (haven't installed my 6.5's in the lowers yet) more highs are the last thing I would want. We're your highs lacking? Just curious...
I love highs in my system . I think it sounds better. Its funny how we all have different way's we hear music.  What I like the next guy mite not like it.

Kryingame

Quote from: zeke383 on January 08, 2015, 04:55:23 AM

I had the tweeters previously installed before I went to Biketronics.  When I first started audio I had Polk Db651's installed (Yuck). In my opinion, tweeters aren't needed if one has Biketronics.  Lesson learned, the hard way.
To many mods to tell...

hdrolling

Now you have me worried if I might have issue coming up? I also had my tweeters prior to going with my biketronics setup, the gauge hole hawg wired tweeters. Currently with my 7.1 fairing and 6x9 saddlebag biketronics speakers being powered by the BT 4180 I have no issues and the tweeters still sound great.
But with my CVO speaker pods coming and getting ready to add the BT 6.5 speakers in the lowers and the BT 7.1 rear tour pack pods, if I might start having issues using the tweeters as well. Worse case I'll pull the tweeters and install the last two Dakota digital gauges, but hopefully everything works out the way I have it planned.
2010 FLHX 120R, Tman 662-2,Boarzilla, S&S lifters, AV&V springs,10.8:1

tdgriff

Quote from: hdrolling on January 08, 2015, 04:10:03 PM
Now you have me worried if I might have issue coming up? I also had my tweeters prior to going with my biketronics setup, the gauge hole hawg wired tweeters. Currently with my 7.1 fairing and 6x9 saddlebag biketronics speakers being powered by the BT 4180 I have no issues and the tweeters still sound great.
But with my CVO speaker pods coming and getting ready to add the BT 6.5 speakers in the lowers and the BT 7.1 rear tour pack pods, if I might start having issues using the tweeters as well. Worse case I'll pull the tweeters and install the last two Dakota digital gauges, but hopefully everything works out the way I have it planned.
you will be OK . BILL and I went threw my set up you and I have the same set up . What I did wrong was I hooked up the tweeter pods off the speakers. Bill told me to go off the back of the HU bypass the amp. I did that never had a problem again. I sent my amp back Bill sent me a knew he tested my old amp and found nothing wrong. So the only answer we had was the hog tunes.

Biketronics Inc

Hi Guys,

Really sorry about the hassle on this, I did not realize Kryingame had the tweeters on his bike at first, this did drag out the troubleshooting longer than it should have.  What usually happens is one or both of the tweeters start to go and cause a short across one channel.  Our amp will try to power through it and starts putting out more power because of the reduced ohm load.  It usually comes and goes as the tweeter voice coil heats up, so the amp randomly draws a lot of power and pops the fuse or blows a speaker from the big spike.

I added a note on our webpage, the problem is a lot of people already have them before calling us for upgrades or order online so we have no idea.  I will try and figure out any other way we can do better at catching this before install.

Bill
1-800-735-2419

chunngle

Quote from: Biketronics Inc. on January 13, 2015, 01:07:35 PM
Hi Guys,

Really sorry about the hassle on this, I did not realize Kryingame had the tweeters on his bike at first, this did drag out the troubleshooting longer than it should have.  What usually happens is one or both of the tweeters start to go and cause a short across one channel.  Our amp will try to power through it and starts putting out more power because of the reduced ohm load.  It usually comes and goes as the tweeter voice coil heats up, so the amp randomly draws a lot of power and pops the fuse or blows a speaker from the big spike.

I added a note on our webpage, the problem is a lot of people already have them before calling us for upgrades or order online so we have no idea.  I will try and figure out any other way we can do better at catching this before install.

Bill

Outstanding!!!! It doesn't get much better than this!

tdgriff

Hi Guys,

Bill
Thanks Bill I remember you and I talking about this 6 or 7 months ago. I was blowing 7.1s like crazy. I can't even tell you how many set's I went threw until I realized my hog tune we're not working and that's when you told me to unhook them I have not blowen a speaker yet.

UltraNutZ

Hi Guys,

Bill

exactly why I tell folks if you're going to use them, connect them directly to the head unit.  Me personally and as tdgriff stated it's all about the person, but I've never found the need for tweets.  Just too much screaming in my old sensitive ears.  :-)
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

SF Doc

:scratch: so when you say connect directly to the HU, do you mean splice into the output speaker wires between the HU and the Amp? Sorry guys Im new at this audio and don't want to screw it up. I have the Jensen HD1BT installed and am waiting for my Fosgste PBR 300x2 and Kappa 62.11i.
Get ready UN, I will most likely be bugging the  :turd: out of you during the install. Looking forward to having some music I can actually hear at 70+ mph.
    Thanks,
        Doc    :banghead:
"Doc"

UltraNutZ

Quote from: SF Doc on January 13, 2015, 11:11:43 PM
:scratch: so when you say connect directly to the HU, do you mean splice into the output speaker wires between the HU and the Amp? Sorry guys Im new at this audio and don't want to screw it up. I have the Jensen HD1BT installed and am waiting for my Fosgste PBR 300x2 and Kappa 62.11i.
Get ready UN, I will most likely be bugging the  :turd: out of you during the install. Looking forward to having some music I can actually hear at 70+ mph.
    Thanks,
        Doc    :banghead:

ask away bud.. it's what we're here for.

Just to make sure you understand we are talking about the Hogtunes Tweeter Pods that mount to the inner fairing.

SF Doc

yep its the HT tweeter pods, so how do I wire it to the output between the HU and the AMP?

Thanks
Doc
"Doc"

UltraNutZ

if you're using the RCA outputs of the head unit then simply connect them to the front speaker outputs of the head unit.
if you're using the speaker level outputs of the head as inputs for the amp then simply wire them in parallel with the speaker input connector for the amp.

SF Doc

January 14, 2015, 08:28:03 AM #19 Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:49:16 AM by SF Doc
let me make sure I understand, I connect the HT pod to the outputs from the HU wires in parallel prior to the AMP? then I can run my 62.11i's from the output side of the AMP? Sorry Im new to wiring audioand don't want to screw it up. Thanks for your patience.
"Doc"

UltraNutZ

yes sir that's correct.

but.... if you don't have them installed yet then do everything else FIRST to determine whether you need them in the first place.  Lots of folks install them and then determine they really didn't need/want them and then they're left with holes in the inner fairing if they take them off.

tdgriff

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 14, 2015, 08:30:26 AM
yes sir that's correct.

but.... if you don't have them installed yet then do everything else FIRST to determine whether you need them in the first place.  Lots of folks install them and then determine they really didn't need/want them and then they're left with holes in the inner fairing if they take them off.
that is very good advice. I took mine off and now I have four holes in my interfering I had to go to the hardware store and by little black plugs to pop in there you really can't see them I just wish I never would have done it in the first place.

SF Doc

Thanks UN, I appreciate your help and patience.
"Doc"

Kryingame

Quote from: chunngle on January 13, 2015, 01:51:06 PM
Hi Guys,

Bill

Outstanding!!!! It doesn't get much better than this!

See, this is great service seriously.  I haven't been on in a few days and I'm happy to see guys talking about this. I can't tell you how pissed I was but really, I should have told Bill and his colleague that I had those crappy tweeters.  Please don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming them for any of the mishap.  Bill diagnosed the problem within 2 minutes of hearing my story.  I spoke to my local dealership as well as an audio mod shop and neither had no idea.  But, I'm now 100% satisfied.  When I had my inner fairing painted, I also had the tweeter shell painted so, although it's no longer connected, it doesn't look bad.  But this was a lesson learned and I'm glad that the issue is now resolved.

Thanks everyone for your input.  Thanks Bill for your candid post.

To many mods to tell...

Gannicus

January 15, 2015, 02:11:11 AM #24 Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 02:17:31 AM by Gannicus
Win Win all the way around for you Kryingame! With Nutz and Bill Both posting on your thread there was no way you were going to lose! As Chunngle said "It doesn't get any better than this"   :wink: :wink: Glad your at 100% my friend!