April 27, 2024, 05:15:30 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2015 FLHTK 4 speaker upgrade with Amp suggestions

Started by Bertk, January 19, 2015, 02:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyote

Quote from: Bertk on January 21, 2015, 10:51:07 AM
Quote from: Coyote on January 21, 2015, 10:41:12 AM
I currently have a 30 amp fuse going to my PN4.520D and it hasn't blown. IIRC, the amp has a 40 amp fuse.
Coyote, do you have any pics of amp wired up under the fairing?

Sorry the pic is not better.

[attach=0]

UltraNutZ

Bert.  look at the top of the audio section for how to set your gains on your amp.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Bertk

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 21, 2015, 10:58:19 AM
my testing on the 4.520D amp showed a max recorded amp draw of 8A.  These class D amps don't draw much current at all and lots of people blow this whole power/ground thing out of proportion with gargantuan sized wires such as 4ga and I've even seen 2ga.  Ridiculous at best.  Bigger is not always best.
Ok, good to know. 10-ga it is.
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

ALUCARD19

Instead of butt connectors you can just solder the wires together and then heat shrink them, that way they will not come apart
from the vibration.
"A Hole is a Hole is a Hole",  Where Eagles Dare
         AMA Life Member #35524

Bertk

Quote from: ALUCARD19 on January 21, 2015, 06:34:23 PM
Instead of butt connectors you can just solder the wires together and then heat shrink them, that way they will not come apart from the vibration.
That will be my first option, but if I can't get to some of them butt connectors will be my second option.
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

Bertk

Quote from: Coyote on January 21, 2015, 11:15:22 AM
Sorry the pic is not better.[attach=0]
I did come across that pic and like the way you double shrink wrapped the wires going into the amp.

Where you able to solder the speaker connections?
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

Bertk

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 21, 2015, 11:28:10 AM
Bert.  look at the top of the audio section for how to set your gains on your amp.
If I saw that earlier I would have never started this project...  :doh:

Just kidding. I have a cheap DMM and seeing you did the math for the 520D I will give it a shot.
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

Coyote

Quote from: Bertk on January 21, 2015, 07:36:09 PM
Quote from: Coyote on January 21, 2015, 11:15:22 AM
Sorry the pic is not better.[attach=0]
I did come across that pic and like the way you double shrink wrapped the wires going into the amp.

Where you able to solder the speaker connections?

I chose this path. No cutting of the stock harness. Heat shrink over the whole connection.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GDGA28/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GDGA64/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are nice double crimp connectors. I have the correct ratcheting crimp tool that does two stepped crimps. This crimps the wire and also the insulation.

Bertk

Quote from: Coyote on January 21, 2015, 09:16:31 PM
I chose this path. No cutting of the stock harness. Heat shrink over the whole connection.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GDGA28/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GDGA64/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These are nice double crimp connectors. I have the correct ratcheting crimp tool that does two stepped crimps. This crimps the wire and also the insulation.

So you wired the speakers directly to the amp without using the factory wiring, correct?
In this case did you loose the front/rear fade control on the HU?

:scratch: How did you go from the HU to the amp without cutting wires?
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

UltraNutZ

the spade connectors in the links above from Coyote crimp to your input wires for amp.  the spade actually plugs into the stock speaker wire harness

Coyote

Also all my speakers are in front. I did not need the fader but if I had wanted it, I would have just crimped 4 more pin/wires to bring the rear channel to the amp (just removing the pins in the main harness). There is nothing wrong with cutting the stock wiring harness, it's just my preference to never do it if there is another way. The same company that makes the crimp spades above also makes the mating side that will plug on the speaker terminals.  So I did that as well.

Bertk

January 23, 2015, 09:24:22 PM #36 Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 06:36:37 AM by Bertk
Ok, I have been over thinking this hole wiring thing.  :doh:

From what the instructions tell me, all I need is:
For Power
10ga Positive to battery & fuse holder with 25 amp fuse
10ga Negative to battery
16ga Remote wire connected to P&A terminal in headlight harness

For Speakers
Disconnect the speaker wires.
Run the speaker wires that comes out of the HU to the High Inputs on the amp using red male disconnect terminals that Coyote pointed out. Solder & shrink extra 16ga wire as needed for length.

Run 16ga wire from the amp speaker output screw downs to the speakers using the screw down terminals. I'll tin the wire ends for all the screw downs.

Using the OE wiring I should not loose fade or any other control functions.

Next week the speakers, amp are arriving.
The BA speaker grills are on order from Kutter HD.
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

UltraNutZ

you got it sir.  the remote wire can be just about anything.  very little voltage and even less amps running through it.  a single piece of that 16ga speaker wire is perfect.   :up:

Bertk

Thanks UN, another question?
Do the male disconnect terminals work for the rear tour-pak speakers?

As far as I can tell the closest connection to the rear speakers is the Molex [162] connector. Is this where I tap into the rear speakers?
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

UltraNutZ

on the FLHTK if you look at the back of the head unit to the right, there is a separate connector there with the wires for the rear speakers.  You can tap in there.

Bertk

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 24, 2015, 12:46:50 PM
on the FLHTK if you look at the back of the head unit to the right, there is a separate connector there with the wires for the rear speakers.  You can tap in there.
That's good to know. I didn't see them in the service manual wiring schematics.

What it does show is the wire colors going to the rear speakers (LBE - LBE/BK - LBE/O - LBE/GY) so I should be looking for a connector with these color wires?
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

Coyote

PosseRider

Can these speakers be used without an amp ? infinity kappa 6211i  and what reflash to the radio needs to be done?
PosseRider
Vandalia,Ohio

UltraNutZ

speakers only, no flash needed.  simply replace the stockers and yes they'll work perfectly fine for the fairing.  if you have rear pods because of the design change of the pod/controls location you'll have to use a shallower speaker such as the kicker CS674 back there.

PosseRider

January 24, 2015, 05:23:25 PM #44 Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:33:15 PM by PosseRider
I do have the rear pods forgot to mention it is an Ultra low.  Thanks for the quick response  Just noticed on a web site, says the kickers are 4ohm,  i thought the 2015 Ultra is 2 ohm ?
PosseRider
Vandalia,Ohio

Bertk

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 24, 2015, 04:52:47 PM
speakers only, no flash needed.  simply replace the stockers and yes they'll work perfectly fine for the fairing.  if you have rear pods because of the design change of the pod/controls location you'll have to use a shallower speaker such as the kicker CS674 back there.

:scratch: From post #4.
Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 20, 2015, 09:46:02 AM
have never had to use the pod adapters.  and in fact the Kappas come with adapter rings that can me trimmed to space the speaker out about 1/4" if necessary.
Am I missing something?
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

Bertk

Quote from: Coyote on January 24, 2015, 02:14:45 PM
Radio pin out for the 2015 radio.
[attach=0]
Yes, that's where I got the wire colors from. I'll look for the connectors under the fairing next week when I take it apart.
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

UltraNutZ

Quote from: PosseRider on January 24, 2015, 05:23:25 PM
I do have the rear pods forgot to mention it is an Ultra low.  Thanks for the quick response  Just noticed on a web site, says the kickers are 4ohm,  i thought the 2015 Ultra is 2 ohm ?

it is a 2 ohm setup correct but you can use a 4 ohm without issue.  You can get the Kappas in back there without issue as well if you want to use the spacers that come with them.  I myself have not had to the use the spacers but some report they've had to.   :scratch:

Bertk

Going to bring the bike to the dealer for a radio flash before installing the PN4.520D AMP and 4 62.11i speakers on the 2015 FLHTK.
Am I correct that the flash needed: 
Set "AMP 1" and "AMP 2" to "No" and select "8 Speakers...." option as suggested by RF?
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

Gannicus

Correct.

8 speakers on
Amp 1 off
Amp 2 off
Fader Active,