April 27, 2024, 01:34:31 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Draining the sump on Evo motor

Started by 04rkryder, May 11, 2015, 12:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

04rkryder

Checked the oil on my 95 Heritage and the oil bag was empty, I mean nada. Pulled the plug on drain hose and got maybe a couple of oz. Bike is not smoking or are there any noticeable leaks.  How do I drain the sump? Can't find any plugs on the bottom of the case.

JC 92FXRS

I would route the breather hose to a catch can and start cranking it over, it should clear most of the oil. It does on my 92, but mine's a case-breather not a head-breather, as yours is.
Hope this helps.
Cheers, Jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

Big Cahuna

My wife's Sportster used to do the same thing. I just started it and the oil started flowing back to where it's supposed to be.,,

wfolarry

Quote from: Big Cahuna on May 11, 2015, 03:10:19 PM
My wife's Sportster used to do the same thing. I just started it and the oil started flowing back to where it's supposed to be.,,

That's it. Start it up & watch it all flow back into the tank.

04rkryder

Rugby_fxdwg

Or windup on your driveway or garage floor
1996 80" Wide Glide 10.5-1 85HP/85Ft; 1999 Ultra 95" 6speed; 1989 FXRS

Wicked

To answer your question, there is no way to drain the cases on a HD EVO. Start it up and most will go back to the tank. The rest will come out the breather ports...
Don't add any more till you see how much you lose....

Paul

mp

Note that you were really low on oil if your oil tank was empty.  There's no place else that can hide three qts of motor oil.