April 27, 2024, 01:07:27 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

04-06 carb ign. on a 99-03?

Started by joe_lyons, May 15, 2015, 09:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe_lyons

Any tried this before?  I know the whole speedo thing is the biggie but it would just throw a code correct?  The speedo would still operate with the VSS direct.  I ask this because I wana use the SE ign tuner for 04-06.  I know the plugs are different but that's not too hard to overcome.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

speedzter

I've looked at using the 04-06 DTT TC88A module on my '00 because it has some data logging functions.
Apart from the speedo and TSM/TSSM data bus issues, there is no reason it shouldn't work.

http://www.daytona-twintec.com/download/TC88A_OE_Wiring.pdf

Powerglides

I spoke to Chris Schroeder about this a few years back, and he assured me that it can be done. He referred me to Dan Theyer, who I also spoke to. He can make up a harness adaptor if required. I wanted to use the TC88A on the dyno to datalog, build the ignition maps, and then flash them into the earlier TC88.
I didn't do this in the end, and never thought to ask if any codes would be thrown. We didn't get any 04-06 Twin Cams with carbs over here.
All of the official imports were EFI by that time.
Boz

joe_lyons

I don't believe I would need an adaptor as I believe the plugs are the same, just need repinned.  Also this would allow the removal of the cam position sensor. 

hrdtail78

Older had 2 12 pin connections and the newer has 1 12 pin connections.  Repin what you need and it works.
Semper Fi

FSG

May 16, 2015, 01:47:21 PM #5 Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 01:52:16 PM by FSG
Joe, straight forward and there shouldn't be any codes to throw.  I'll get to the 99 Wiring later today.

speedzter

Looking closer the only thing that won't work is the CEL.
Speedo and TSM will work fine.

joe_lyons

Anyone have any 04-06 ign modules laying around doing nothing?

joe_lyons

Does this look right?  The CEL and tach would be a no go.

speedzter

Checked it a few times, and all looks correct.
I'm sure there would be a way to derive a useable Tach' signal from the coil drive.