May 08, 2024, 02:45:53 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

S&S Premium Lifters & SE Tapered Push Rods

Started by Thumper Buttercup, June 12, 2015, 09:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thumper Buttercup

June 12, 2015, 09:30:03 PM Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 08:42:38 AM by Thumper Buttercup
We'll with a crazy spring up here we finally got out for a couple rides this week, we are running the
push rods set a 3 turns and two flats as by the push rod tube with the dot on it.  That should
put us at about .139.

First day out we were just riding easy for a couple hours at 55 and 65 mph and bike was whisper quiet.
We jumped on Highway 2 and cranked her up to 70 mph and she started ticking steady, eased off
and it got quiet again.

We rode back roads again mostly at 65 mph and it was quieter but not as quiet as the early run.

Today we took her out and again it was quiet until we hit 70 mph, I could drop down to 68 mph and the
ticking would go away and at about 73 to 75 mph it got quiet again.

There is some light ticking but nothing like the Gatermans's (Sorry I typed GMR somehow) we took out.
We are running that new 10-60 LiquiMoly also, the bike does take a lot longer to get as hot as she use to.

So would you guys give it another flat or two??? or back it off to 3 turns?

Thanks guys.
04 Ultra, 95 Cu, 48N, Larry's Heads TTS

rageglide

Back it off.

But have to say 'crankin it up to 70' doesn't really tell much other than... well you don't crank it much  ;-)   :hyst:

Premiums with limiters or not?  Because Premiums come two ways.
with limiters 3 turns is probably too much.  Without, imo, unnecessary.  Do the math and come up with .100"  Works 99% or the time. 

Hydraulics were meant to remove the sillyness that came from adjusting solids.  They always take up slop.  But, if you set em too deep you might touch bottom on hot days or cold starts - if you set em too shallow you may top out the lifter when hot.   Very simple devices.

Thumper Buttercup

June 13, 2015, 07:31:08 AM #2 Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 07:40:37 AM by Thumper Buttercup
Quote from: rageglide on June 13, 2015, 01:18:03 AM
Back it off.

But have to say 'crankin it up to 70' doesn't really tell much other than... well you don't crank it much  ;-)   :hyst:

Premiums with limiters or not?  Because Premiums come two ways.
with limiters 3 turns is probably too much.  Without, imo, unnecessary.  Do the math and come up with .100"  Works 99% or the time. 

Hydraulics were meant to remove the sillyness that came from adjusting solids.  They always take up slop.  But, if you set em too deep you might touch bottom on hot days or cold starts - if you set em too shallow you may top out the lifter when hot.   Very simple devices.

No limiters just plain Premiums, I'll back them off to 3 turns and see what happens.

When I really crank on it I get this shoulder pain, it usually comes from the back seat rider :SM:.

rageglide

Thumper Buttercup

We'll we pulled the push rods and let her sit and went back with 3 turns even.

Bike is noisy as hell to us, she is really tapping, a lot worse than before.  Before
the bike was quiet at 55 and 60 and even 65 mph and did not start making
noise until 69-70 mph.  Today she was noisy at 55 up and really ticking at idle
where before it was quiet.

We rechecked our SE push rods and we are at 24 tpi.

So we are going back in with 3 turns and 3 flats and see where that takes us.

That will put us at .146.

BUBBIE

Old story......SE slenders......You can go 3T 4 flats with No problems... I have had Noisy lifter and went 4 full turns (.166) Deep...

That did quiet them...

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

Thumper Buttercup

Quote from: BUBBIE on June 17, 2015, 06:35:07 PM
Old story......SE slenders......You can go 3T 4 flats with No problems... I have had Noisy lifter and went 4 full turns (.166) Deep...

That did quiet them...

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks Bubbie,

I'll tell you one thing, it takes a lot longer for the engine to totally warm up with the Moly oil in it.

We'll try the 3 turns 3 flats and see if the old girl like that, if not it's good to know we can go the
4th flat.

Mark

Buffalo

You may want to put a real oil pressure gauge on and check pressures. You should have somewhere close to 15lbs at idle (1000rpm), and 32-38lbs at 2500rpm. If it is lower then that, you may have a scored rotor in the oil pump. Damaged or worn rockers or valve tips can cause noise that no oil pressure or lifter settings can fix.  fwiw  Buffalo

Thumper Buttercup

Quote from: Buffalo on June 17, 2015, 09:22:39 PM
You may want to put a real oil pressure gauge on and check pressures. You should have somewhere close to 15lbs at idle (1000rpm), and 32-38lbs at 2500rpm. If it is lower then that, you may have a scored rotor in the oil pump. Damaged or worn rockers or valve tips can cause noise that no oil pressure or lifter settings can fix.  fwiw  Buffalo

She only has about 13000 on a major overhaul, the year before that we had the crank balanced trued and welded.
We are running the new tensionsers with the SE cam plate and the improved oil pump and the basiley oil spring the
lower one, we have over 32 lbs pressure steady running along, running a bit over the 15 lbs at idle.  New rockers
and had the heads done by WFO Larry on here.

With the first setting of 3 turns and two flats she was perfectly quiet running 55 & 65 mph for over three hours,
no noise until we got on the highway and hit 70 mph.

We'll make the adjustments and go from there.

VDeuce

Interested here too. I am running new S&S Premiums in my 120r and getting some clacking especially when on decel coming back to idle as the pressure drops. Adjusted to .130. Had Gatermans in there for a few k miles and they were quieter, looked new when removed, may put em back in.

Eglider05

Quote from: VDeuce on June 18, 2015, 06:34:57 AM
Adjusted to .130. Had Gatermans in there for a few k miles and they were quieter, looked new when removed, may put em back in.

Personally I think the Gaterman's are a crap shoot. I had a set in my 120", one failed and took out my cams along with other parts and caused me a great deal of grief and $$ with all the crap it scattered in the bottom end. Once bitten.......I switched to S&S premiums.

Rick

RevFastEddy

I put in S&S lifters in my 124 about 70,000 mile ago and they are still doing fine.  They are set at .100" deep just like the instructions on their 585 cam.   Just saying..
SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
Vietnam 67-68, Red Beach

Thumper Buttercup

Quote from: RevFastEddy on June 18, 2015, 07:31:04 AM
I put in S&S lifters in my 124 about 70,000 mile ago and they are still doing fine.  They are set at .100" deep just like the instructions on their 585 cam.   Just saying..

We'll we went by the instructions on the web site, showing 4 turns with a 32 tpi push rod that put it at .125,
so we went 3 turns with our 24 tpi push rod and that put us at .125 and that is a lot nosier than it was at

I'll set her deeper and report back, with the weather it will be a few days before we can test her out again.

VDeuce,

We pulled out our new set of Gatermans we just put in last year, we had just 1641 miles on them and they
were making noise and we pulled them out and one of the rollers had marks like others were showing that
you could feel.  There were no marks on our cams, I just don't trust the Gatermans, that is three sets we've
tried to run and they all made noise.

VDeuce

Ok, thanks for the Gaterman feedback. I did have a set of Gatermans go bad on me last year when I was running the double springs, but then went with beehives. This set of Gatermans that came out looked perfect, but I do admit I am leery of putting them back in. Just would like the S&S to quiet down.

Thumper Buttercup

Quote from: VDeuce on June 18, 2015, 08:28:49 AM
Ok, thanks for the Gaterman feedback. I did have a set of Gatermans go bad on me last year when I was running the double springs, but then went with beehives. This set of Gatermans that came out looked perfect, but I do admit I am leery of putting them back in. Just would like the S&S to quiet down.

I'm going deeper in ours, like I said she was as quiet for about 3 hours of riding at 55 to 65 mph at 3 turns two flats .139.

If you are running 24 tpi you are between 3 turns and 3 turns 1 flat.  Looks like we will get the adjustment done tomorrow
and a test ride in Monday, I'll report back on how it goes.

VDeuce

Great, looking forward to your results. Mine are Smith Bros @ 32 TPI - I have them at 4 turns currently, so about .125 on mine. Guess I should sink 'em more...

Admiral Akbar

Eglider05

Quote from: Max Headflow on June 18, 2015, 08:58:13 AM
Try a different set of pushrods.

:agree: Yep, I had 4 out of 8 SE's where the female end was drilled crooked.

Rick

crewchief25H

Thumper Buttercup

June 18, 2015, 07:42:05 PM #19 Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 06:01:56 AM by Thumper Buttercup
We got our running out of the way today and had time to do an adjustment
and take her out for a run.  We skipped 3 turns and 3 flats and went right to
3 turns 4 flats.

The bike is very quiet now, 100% quiet no but very quiet and a great improvement.

So now we will just put the miles on her, it will be interesting to see a very hot day,
the bike was hot enough to open the oil cooler and get the crash bar good and hot.

Thumper Buttercup

Morning Max,  I am wondering why change push rods when there is a change in engine noise
with the push rod adjustment, with the end result being better.

What pushrod do you recommend, I don't want to have to use one that uses loctite, I would like
a set if we change ours to one that is as easy to install as the SE Tapered.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Thumper Buttercup on June 19, 2015, 07:52:56 AM

Morning Max,  I am wondering why change push rods when there is a change in engine noise
with the push rod adjustment, with the end result being better.

What pushrod do you recommend, I don't want to have to use one that uses loctite, I would like
a set if we change ours to one that is as easy to install as the SE Tapered.

Probably because the PRs are flexing..

No Cents

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

BUBBIE

Maybe My SE slender tapers work well: using Low lift SE 255cams .550 lift and normal spring strength left in by Dorfman... :scratch:

signed....BUBBIE

Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!