May 02, 2024, 04:47:48 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

OT: Buffalo Burgers?

Started by Fxstchewy, March 28, 2009, 04:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fxstchewy

We were sitting around last week and somehow got on trying out some Buffalo Burgers, I live in NC so no BB here, anyone know of a good online place that i can order some that you know are good? Thank's Chewy.  :teeth:
"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."

gOOseman

Fxstchewy......I've never tried it but a friend of mine was telling about this place in NC

http://www.sunsetridgebuffalo.com/

gOOseman
gOOseman
I'm not a gynecologist but I'll take a lOOk...

Wingnut

Havn't had a Buffalo burger in years.  Buffalo WINGS are a weekly thing around here, just a dozen or so.  Soooooo good with with a cold one.
Never ride faster then your angel can fly.

xxxflhrci

Did you try looking in the grocery store?  One of our chain stores sells buffalo, rabbits, and other off the wall meats.  I'd guess it will be steep if you find it.  I live in between two different buffalo farms that sell meat locally in small stores.  Even coming direct, it is a good bit more expensive than beef.

Sonny S.

Buffalo Burgers are awesome. I will often mix 1/2 ground Buffalo with 1/2 ground Beef
A lot of grocery stores will carry a vacuum packed lb. About $6-7 a lb in my area...MD.

Bulit

Buffalo meat will cost a few bucks more per lb., but worth it. It is much leaner than beef (like HD from the factory. LOL) but when prepared and cooked right, it is great. you will be impressed.

Fxstchewy

I haven't really looked around for it, just figured no one would have it, might go tomorrow to a couple of grocery stores and see. Thanks for the info. Chewy

DenverBagger

Whole Foods has fantastic ground Buffalo and Buffalo steaks here in Denver.

Their website shows they have 5 stores in NC - http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/stores/northcarolina/index.php

Joncin

I'm a self-proclaimed charred carcass connoisseur and I thought buffalo meat was very expensive ground cardboard.  :teeth:

The meat is very lean and will dry out on you when you cook it, mix it with some 76% hamburger and do NOT overcook it.

truck

I've only had a few buffalo burgers with the hope that the next one might taste better. That didn't work out. :crook:
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

r1mcdonald

Down here in florida wal-mart sell them

Dennis The Menace

Buffalo is all I buy at the store.  Any of the stores under Kroger should have, or Walmart perhaps.  I dont know of any online store to buy, because its so easy to find in Colorado.  A good portion of it comes from here and Wyoming.

And, yes, its lean and often very little added fat in the burger.  So, its best to undercook buffalo meat, including burgers.  I order and/or cook mine at rare to no more than medium-rare.  The only way to eat it.  I enjoy Buffalo tenderloin and prime rib cuts, cooked to medium rare.  Very good...almost as good as elk (my favorite) in same cuts.

Also, you can get bad buffalo meat that will taste like crap, no matter how you cook it.  Fortunately, its getting harder to find that bad meat.  And, it doesnt reheat well, so only cook what you can eat.

Dennis

mark61

As it happens--on Craigslist State College, Pa. there is a Bison for sale live on the hoof for $750. Anyone want to chip in and nave a BBQ? 

mark61

China twin 88

I remember once trying out Beefalo which was supposed to be a mix...here the big taste treat is the Donkey sandwich ... which is served across the stree... and you have to be careful .. to get the real donkey burgers....they are so popular in some regons that cafes have been known to substitute....
LMMC/LAMF

Fxstchewy

dakota224

The Elk Creek Steak House in Piedmont South Dakota has some of the best buffalo burgers in the world.. great Elk steaks too.    :soda:

DblackmanC

I'm in NC and you can get a Buffalo Buger at any "Hams" and along the road any where in Sturgis!!
'06 Dyna, 95" Bagger.

Fxstchewy

Quote from: DblackmanC on March 29, 2009, 07:40:26 AM
I'm in NC and you can get a Buffalo Buger at any "Hams" and along the road any where in Sturgis!!

Good to know, we have a Hams about 10 miles from me. Thank's  :up:

PaJoe

Ground Bison is part of my regular diet these days, mostly I like it in stuffed peppers, meatloaf, chilli and almost anything you would use ground beef. I eat a pound or two a week.  My wife purchases it from a local Giant store, but they sell the same exact thing at Weis markets. BJ's Warehouse was selling ground bison, but it had more fat and I liked the bison from Giant/Weis better. I found bison to be about as good as your average beef, but a really good piece of beef will be better. We also tried the steaks and hot dogs, but the the hotdogs were mixed with beef, and they were similar to beef hotdogs but cost more.

I got hooked on Bison at a little, really little, mom and pop  shop along route 501 just about a mile north of route 322 near Brickerville Pa. We were out riding and stopped in the "Pretzel Hut", hardly any room to sit but they served bison burgers, and their bison sub with their home made buns was something that really went down well with me. I tried bison burgers at Red Robin and another diner on route 15 near Camp Hill Pa but neither one of those places made it very well. I also found that leftover bison does not hold up well as beef, if my wife makes stuffed peppers for me one night, I will have another the next day but after that the bison doesn't taste as good - it taste more like the bison at the two places I did not care for. Everyone is different, I prefer the bison well done. My wife tried making bison burgers, but they did not taste as good as the bison sub from the Pretzel hut, so we ride the 50 miles to get theirs instead.

Some would not like the bison subs from the pretzel Hut as they have pretty much lettuce tomatoes, onions etc, not packed with meat like a 3/4" thick burger from Hardees, and the Pretzel Hut is terrible on having coffee ready, the young girls just forget to make it. We haven't been there for a while, with the weather the way it has been their stone & dirt parking lot is wet from water running off the hill, so it's not a good place to park a bike.

mark61

You can get the sandwiches and burgers at the Lake Tobias Petting Zoo near Halifax too. Emu too or oastrich   I forget which. Maybe we should have TooLow bring some next time we get together?

mark61

murphdog

Chewy, I see you're in Newton. Check the Fuddruckers in Hickory...Fudds here in SC has em.

PaJoe

Quote from: mark61 on March 30, 2009, 04:18:04 AM
   You can get the sandwiches and burgers at the Lake Tobias Petting Zoo near Halifax too. Emu too or oastrich   I forget which. Maybe we should have TooLow bring some next time we get together?

mark61

I will have to check out Lake Tobias Petting Zoo near Halifax, I have heard about it but never have been there. We have been through Halifax, I think, we go up along the east side of the Susquehanna river some times for a cool ride, but I forget the route numbers.

Dennis The Menace

Dakota, thanks for the local tip in SD for elk steaks...my flavorite!  mmmmmm  Will stop in this summer when I am up there.

Dennis

texaskatfish

DMenace - you ever tried the Buckhorn Exchange?

We used to live right down the light rail trax from it....................their Elk steaks were excellent.

Can't recall the Buffalo offerings they serve (or not)
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

Sportsterboy

I got to eat at the Buckhorn Exchange about 20+ years ago with my folks on a trip with them to Denver.  I had the Buffalo steak (not particularly good) and they had Elk steaks (UNBELIEVABLE!!).  Haven't had a chance to go back there since.   :wink: