May 07, 2024, 07:31:09 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

HELP, how to get the cam assembly back in case.

Started by BrownsfaninMN, March 29, 2009, 02:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrownsfaninMN

...helped a friend change his cam chain tensioners (the inboard one was toast, good thing we live in MN and hadn't had a chance to take the bikes out yet).  Anyways, everything went well until we tried getting the cam assembly back into it's place, it seems the rods and rollers seem to hang down just enough to prevent us from getting it all put back together (contact with the cam lobes), is there any trick to lifting them up aside from taking the rockers apart to give us the clearance to push the cam assembly back in?  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks. 

FSG

Quoteit seems the rods and rollers seem to hang down just

Are you referring to the pushrods ? 

nc-renegade

Quote from: BrownsfaninMN on March 29, 2009, 02:58:49 PM
...helped a friend change his cam chain tensioners (the inboard one was toast, good thing we live in MN and hadn't had a chance to take the bikes out yet).  Anyways, everything went well until we tried getting the cam assembly back into it's place, it seems the rods and rollers seem to hang down just enough to prevent us from getting it all put back together (contact with the cam lobes), is there any trick to lifting them up aside from taking the rockers apart to give us the clearance to push the cam assembly back in?  Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks. 

No trick.  You have to take the stock pushrods and lifters out...at least the pushrods....  Some folks use a magnet or clips to hold the lifters up.  You can cut out the stock pushrods and go back with ez-install ones (The SE ones are excellent).

You will never be able to put the cams in with stock pushrods installed.
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

nc-renegade

107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

bouncingVman

What are you using to keep the lifters and push rods from falling into the cam case?
"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

truck

Just curious, how did you get the cams out without removing the push rods?
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Ultrashovel

Quote from: trück on March 29, 2009, 03:20:36 PM

Great question. They are normally pumped up and, as most of us are aware, some of them are under tension from the valve springs at all times depending upon where the engine stops. Good trick removing cams wihout removing the pushrods.

Scotty

specialx1

take a bolt cutters to the pushrods hold lifters outta the way with magnet or clips like service manual shows, then install adjustables,least ya aint gotta pull rockerbox n chit off :pop:
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

05FLHTC

You know if the lifters were engineered with a locking type groove on the exterior, ya just might be able to rotate the cams so to a safe part open valve position so we could slide a locking devise or tab like sleeve in to hold them suckers there with the top of the lifter case bore for cam swapping....Hmmmm just thinking out of the box... :idea:
Illinois the Corruption Capitol of USA

96FLSTF

Your only shot I think as previously mentioned is to cut out the pushrods & go with SE quick install adjustables. You really should have a manual. And yea, why didn't the lifters fall in the case when you pulled the cams, even if you did get them out. Did you pry them out? Wonder what the cam surfaces look like.

:rtfb: :pop: :potstir:
Gene
05 95" FLHRSI
96 FLSTF ("Street Stalker")

codyshop

I'm curious too.   Unless he got incredibly lucky and got all lobes at BDC, I don't see how you could even pull the support plate without prying it out from the edges with a crowbar.   :dgust:  It will never go back in, though unless the rocker carriers are loosened.     Ray

Sc00ter

Quote from: codyshop on March 29, 2009, 04:38:57 PM

I'm curious too.   Unless he got incredibly lucky and got all lobes at BDC, I don't see how you could even pull the support plate without prying it out from the edges with a crowbar.   :dgust:  It will never go back in, though unless the rocker carriers are loosened.     Ray

Not possible, unless he has "magic cams"...   :wtf:

BrownsfaninMN

...if you can believe it, must have been cold enough in the garage that the lifters just kind of hung there, enabling us to remove the cam assembly, however once we tried to put them back in, forget about it...  I'll relay the information about the cutting out the stock ones and going with the adjustable ones...  Like I said they came out no problem, amazing, must be those magic ones.

RK101

:pop:  :soda: Interesting, Very interesting. I never thought it was possible to remove the cams without removing the push rods or loosening the rockers and pulling the lifters up off the cam lobes.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

madjack

Amazing,now to get back together, Take apart the lifters , empty the oil out re-assemble take some heavy axle grease, apliy to side of lifters. this will hold the lifters up in place. With push rods bottomed out in the lifters, the lifters stuck up in the cases with axle grease. wa-la you just assemble the engine, start up wait 35-45 mins, for the lifters to maybe pump back up. what'd ya all think, I mean if you could get them out , gotta be able to get them back in :rtfb: :hyst: Gene

Ultrashovel

March 30, 2009, 09:31:51 AM #16 Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:05:16 AM by Ultrashovel
Quote from: BrownsfaninMN on March 30, 2009, 06:32:34 AM
...if you can believe it, must have been cold enough in the garage that the lifters just kind of hung there, enabling us to remove the cam assembly, however once we tried to put them back in, forget about it...  I'll relay the information about the cutting out the stock ones and going with the adjustable ones...  Like I said they came out no problem, amazing, must be those magic ones.

No. You simply pulled the assembly out past the lifters and then the valve springs snapped the now-free lifters and pushrods straight down. Nice.

Of course the cam and plate assembly won't go back in. How could it? The pushrods have to come out and the lifters have to be held up out of the way. Buy the service manual.

ceduby

Don't know if your in the country or city, (might make a difference). but I found out about and purchased locally for 2.99 ea., "cow magnets". Worked out great for holding the lifters up out of the way. Now this is on an Evo and used when installing the lifter block with the cam in place. But the theory is the same. I guess any magnet that is strong enough will do but these were cheap, small and plenty strong enough to do the job and I could do 2 lifters at the same time, with 2 magnets ofcourse.
Beat it to fit, paint it to match

BrownsfaninMN

...just a follow-up to tell you all that my friend got everything back together, he had to pull the tank and the rocker covers, then another issue he had was the inner cam chain tensioner (pretty strong spring) was squeezing the cams together making it difficult to align the cams back in the main bearings, took the cam plate back out, pulled the tensioner back and stuck an allen wrench (from the outside of the plate) in the hole to prevent the tension being on the inner chain, then walla, got her all back together.  Now to just get a couple new gaskets and he's in the pink.  Again, count our blessings, the inner tensioner was hosed, wouldn't have gotten even a short ride this spring in the condition it was in, and to think he only had 34K miles on his '03, I have 41K on my '04, will I inspect them, you bet your bippy!  Thanks for the helpful information, this sight rocks.  Happy trails.

dakota224

truck

I'm not that well versed on this stuff but, does the oil pump need to be realigned before it is all buttoned up?
Tell your bud to wait till someone who knows chips in here. It could save some aggravation.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Sc00ter

Quote from: trück on March 30, 2009, 12:58:55 PM
I'm not that well versed on this stuff but, does the oil pump need to be realigned before it is all buttoned up?
Tell your bud to wait till someone who knows chips in here. It could save some aggravation.

yes...

as said earlier...get the manual...it is really quite simple if you follow the instructions in the manual... :up:

RK101

I sure hope he was able to let that inner tensioner back on the chain slowly, if he let it snap back he might be replacing it again sooner than he thinks.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

northbrun

03deuce

Quote from: northbrun on March 30, 2009, 02:44:20 PM
cow magnets?   :crook:

:wtf: are cow magnets?

I'd venture a guess but don't want to get sent to the woodshed if I get it wrong!