May 02, 2024, 12:54:32 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Series or Parallel

Started by Ardy, July 10, 2015, 04:49:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ardy

I have a Arc Audio KS125.2 amp and I'm going to connect all 4 speakers on my 2010 Ultra to it. My question is do I connect them series or parallel? Not sure which is which but was planning to connect the front and rear positive together and then the front and rear neg. together, right and left respectively, then connect to the amp using the line in and out connections.

Will this work?

I have a pair of Kappa 62.11 as the front speakers and for now some hog tunes on the rear. I'm kicking around the putting a pair of Kicker 41KSC674. I think they will fit at least someone online said they did.

Guns don't kill people.
Drivers on Cell Phones do.

Coyote

You will have to put them in series.

Ardy

Guns don't kill people.

Ardy

What if I left the HogTunes in the rear pods instead of the Kickers, still series? Another question will I lose fade when I put them in a series?
Guns don't kill people.

Coyote

The problem is your amp will drive 2 ohm and your speakers are already 2 ohm. Putting them in parallel will load your amp with less than 2 ohms. It might work or it might go unstable or it might damage the amp.

If you had 4 ohm speakers, you could go parallel. But the Hogtunes and the Kappas are both 2 ohm.

Yes, you will lose fader with only a 2 channel amp. Doesn't matter how it's wired.

Gannicus

As Coyote said. You can't do it Ardy. If you are going to run two ohm speakers all the way around you need a 4 channel amp. You will lose volume running those speakers in series and none of us wants that! If you want to run 4 speakers in parallel the speakers need to be 4 ohms. Also keep in mind your amp needs to be two and four ohm compatible to make it happen. Not a problem with the Arc 125.2. Either run 4 kickers or get a 4 channel amp.

Ardy

Quote from: Gannicus on July 10, 2015, 06:01:21 PM
As Coyote said. You can't do it Ardy. If you are going to run two ohm speakers all the way around you need a 4 channel amp. You will lose volume running those speakers in series and none of us wants that! If you want to run 4 speakers in parallel the speakers need to be 4 ohms. Also keep in mind your amp needs to be two and four ohm compatible to make it happen. Not a problem with the Arc 125.2. Either run 4 kickers or get a 4 channel amp.

Your right there don't want to lose volume. Actually the rears are 4 ohm, them Hogs are kinda old. I see what you're saying tho. The impedance in a series is 6 ohms and 1.333 ohms in parallel. So running in a series will lose volume and parallel will be below the minimum for my amp...2 ohms.

I found this posted by UltraNutz:

as suspected.

2.7 ohm at the speaker
10' of 16ga speaker wire is right at .5 ohm
3.2 - 3.4 ohm is what I'm reading at 10'

So what if I ran 20' of speaker wire and move the ohms to like 3.9? Or wire the Kappas series and the rears straight up into the amp? Just thinking out loud here so any help is appreciated.
Guns don't kill people.

Gannicus

As a general rule Ardy we try not to wire ANYTHING in series on a bike. It can be done but you would need a much more powerful amp than you presently have. essentially you would be throwing approx. 70 watts to each infinity speaker. Not nearly enough to hear those speakers at speed. Might sound half way decent in the garage but horrible at 70 mph. I know you are brainstorming and trying to find a work around.

But trust me brother. There is no work around. You need a 2 or 4 ohm compatible 4 channel amp or 4 four ohm speakers to run in parallel with your present amp. There are some very nice class D amps with plenty of power that can be had for less than $150 bucks.

Coyote

10' of 16awg wire is going to be a lot lower resistance than that. I wouldn't do it that way. JMO

Ardy

July 11, 2015, 08:30:19 AM #9 Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 04:38:47 AM by Ardy
Well  :turd:!! Gonna have to shift gears then.

What about the PBR300x4? Will it work with BT speakers?

Any suggestions are welcome.
Guns don't kill people.

Ardy

Will my KS125.2 push any of the BT speakers?
Guns don't kill people.

Gannicus

The PBR300X4 and the Arc KS125.2 are weak amps for the BT speakers. If I HAD to choose I'd go with the Arc amp and wire in parallel.

biggzed

Might look at the Soundstream 4.520. Really good bang for the buck. I was in the same boat you are and was rubbing 4 speakers off an Arc 125.2. Everything got better when o went to the SS.

Zach

Gannicus

Zach brings up a great point! The soundstream amps are going to be much better from a sound standpoint than the two previous mentioned amps.  The only show stopper would be if you listen to FM radio on a regular basis. You will lose some or all of your FM stations with the class D amps. Some guys are ok with it. Some guys are not.

Coyote

Soundstream is what I'm using on my 12 RG. I have it driving my front four speakers. Works well for me. Since I don't even have a radio antenna on the bike, can't speak to the loss of FM.

Gannicus

Yes Sir! I hear you Coyote can't beat the soundstream amps. I love mine as well. I'm running the 1000D on my front four speakers and the TN4.900 on the back end.  Awesome sound with these amps. I'll tell you guys something. I've had the most expensive amps out there you can purchase for a bike and I always come back to the soundstream. It's just one hell of a great amp!!  Now don't get me wrong. The BT4180. The Moto 600.4 and the Hertz HDP4 are all excellent amps with plenty of power. But to my ears the soundstream amps have warmth and power. Just my .02

Coyote

Quote from: Gannicus on July 13, 2015, 07:53:17 AM
Yes Sir! I hear you Coyote can't beat the soundstream amps. I love mine as well. I'm running the 1000D on my front four speakers and the TN4.900 on the back end.  Awesome sound with these amps. I'll tell you guys something. I've had the most expensive amps out there you can purchase for a bike and I always come back to the soundstream. It's just one hell of a great amp!!  Now don't get me wrong. The BT4180. The Moto 600.4 and the Hertz HDP4 are all excellent amps with plenty of power. But to my ears the soundstream amps have warmth and power. Just my .02

:up:   Todd sent me there. He gets the credits.

Gannicus

Lol. . . Todd sent me there as well! Always the man in my book!

tdgriff

Ok Gannicus you got my ears up I will bite. What is the cheapest I can try this amp for? I will do a honest review on this amp I have hear you talk about this amp for some time. I will make a deal if I don't like it better then my BT I will give it to a forum member for free. I just ask they give a review and send it on. I will even pay shipping to the next person.

biggzed

I just picked up a PN4.1000. It's only 1.25" longer than my 4.520 so I think it will fit in the fairing (07 RG). Is your mounted in the fairing?

Zach

Ardy

OK here's the plan..Bought a pair of BT71S for 149.95 minus the HTT discount. Talked to the sales guy and the match up power-wise with the BT544 amp, 75wx2, which matchs the Arc mini @ 4ohms. The speaker is a special run that they match with that amp and they are in short supply so if anyone wants a pair put in your order. They come with adapters so they are a direct fit. Going to run them parallel with the 4 ohm Hogtunes in the pods. Ordered them yesterday and should be here by Monday. I'll let ya know how it works out.

Thanks for all the replies and advice it's much appreciated.

BTW  :potstir: if there just happens to be an amp to be passed along that will fit my bike put me on the list. I'll give it a fair review against my ARC Mini.
Guns don't kill people.

Coyote

Curious how you ever ended up with 4 ohm Hogtune speakers in your bike?

Gannicus

Quote from: tdgriff on July 14, 2015, 05:22:58 PM
Ok Gannicus you got my ears up I will bite. What is the cheapest I can try this amp for? I will do a honest review on this amp I have hear you talk about this amp for some time. I will make a deal if I don't like it better then my BT I will give it to a forum member for free. I just ask they give a review and send it on. I will even pay shipping to the next person.

Griff I have the evil twin to the soundstream sitting on my shelf as we speak. (Power Acoustik 3000D) If you want to check it out I have no problem sending it your way. Got the SS 1000D in the fairing right now. Won't cost you a dime brother. I would just like an honest review as well.

Ardy

July 15, 2015, 02:03:52 PM #23 Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 02:12:05 PM by Ardy
Coyote, I bought them used don't remember when but obviously a long time ago. Had them in my 01 and been moving them around ever since. They always had a better sound than the stock ones.

According to the back of the speaker they are model #0914.

45 Watts RMS-90 Watts Peak
Suitable for Amp 4-8 ohm
Nominal Impedance 5.7 ohms
90db 1watt/1meter

Now that I'm looking closer at them I may have to replace these too! Wired parallel and 5.7ohms they might be louder that the BT's....... :banghead:  :SM:

Guns don't kill people.

Coyote

Coming from an 01 bike, that makes sense.  :up: