May 09, 2024, 01:46:01 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rebuild time for the touring pig

Started by Coyote, August 13, 2015, 06:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoorUB

How did it work? I cut up a socket to torque the compression releases and it flexed so bad it was unusable. I welded a strip of steel across the opening, far enough out so it would still fit over the release.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Coyote

It's pretty stiff.  We'll see when I install them. 

No Cents

years ago I took an old socket and made me an ACR removal/install tool.
I removed less material in the center section of mine and it has worked great. It's not pretty...but it does the job.

Ray

[attach=0]

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Just Nick

Quote from: PoorUB on August 16, 2015, 08:10:47 PM
How did it work? I cut up a socket to torque the compression releases and it flexed so bad it was unusable. I welded a strip of steel across the opening, far enough out so it would still fit over the release.

I have the same problem with the screamin beagle socket I have thanks for the idear about the strip o steel. You mind posting a pic?
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

PoorUB

Quote from: Just Nick on August 17, 2015, 09:13:38 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on August 16, 2015, 08:10:47 PM

I have the same problem with the screamin beagle socket I have thanks for the idear about the strip o steel. You mind posting a pic?

Ya, I mind!
No time now, maybe later, but I took a thin strip and rolled it to match the OD of the socket and tacked it across the opening, at the end of the socket. You need to be careful and make sure the comp release with fit through, plus small enough to clear the casting on the head.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

prodrag1320

Coyote

Unfortunately that won't work with the CRs I have. They have a bump out and that bump out is not in the same position relative to the hex end from unit to unit. That's why I removed more material.

prodrag1320

Quote from: Coyote on August 17, 2015, 10:03:10 AM
Unfortunately that won't work with the CRs I have. They have a bump out and that bump out is not in the same position relative to the hex end from unit to unit. That's why I removed more material.

what ACR`s do you have? mine works with all but S&S units (that ive ran into anyway).you have to put the socket on,mark where the "bump" is and mill the slot there

chopperdawg

Coyote

I'm using the HD ones. Here is a pic of the issue. You can see that the bulge that must be clearanced for is not in the same position from one unit to the next.

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

Harleys tool also does the same

[attachimg=3]

prodrag1320

hmmn,use mine on a bunch (like 100`s ) of HD ACR`s,never ran into that problem

Don D

A standard socket with a milled slot in the side does it. I made a few of then. The ACRs need to be tighter than Harleys spec and to do that the band at the bottom remains solid not open. Cant post photo

Coyote

August 17, 2015, 02:21:34 PM #62 Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:36:43 PM by Coyote
I got a PM asking for some more pics of the case work. So here are a few from today.

First remove the retaining clip from the sprocket side.

Remove the seal.

Press the bearing out.

Pretty much the same on the other half, just two retaining screws and no seal.

JC 92FXRS

Are the cases coated on the inside as well? ...or is that just the lighting fooling me.
Jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

1FSTRK

Quote from: prodrag1320 on August 17, 2015, 10:16:29 AM

what ACR`s do you have? mine works with all but S&S units (that ive ran into anyway).you have to put the socket on,mark where the "bump" is and mill the slot there

Just ran into that a while back. I do not know the exact date that Harley started installing the new style but I spoke with Vic and he said he modified his socket over a year ago when he ran into it. Had to be cheaper to not have the top indexed to the base.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Coyote

Quote from: 1FSTRK on August 17, 2015, 06:25:37 PM
Quote from: prodrag1320 on August 17, 2015, 10:16:29 AM

Just ran into that a while back. I do not know the exact date that Harley started installing the new style but I spoke with Vic and he said he modified his socket over a year ago when he ran into it. Had to be cheaper to not have the top indexed to the base.

There is no way just a slot would have worked on the two I had. Thanks for confirming I'm not nuts. lol

prodrag1320

Quote from: JC 92FXRS on August 17, 2015, 02:38:10 PM
Are the cases coated on the inside as well? ...or is that just the lighting fooling me.
Jeff

HD power coats the whole thing before any machining (just like with the heads)

JC 92FXRS

Quote from: prodrag1320 on August 18, 2015, 03:52:30 AM
Quote from: JC 92FXRS on August 17, 2015, 02:38:10 PM
Jeff

HD power coats the whole thing before any machining (just like with the heads)

Thanks, I guess that would make sense production wise. Pretty sure my old EVO isn't like that (I've never been in the cases), it's just painted.
Cheers, jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

Coyote

August 20, 2015, 05:50:32 PM #68 Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:37:07 PM by Coyote
Pressing in a new right side main bearing.

And new piston oilers and inner cam bearings.

Knox_Nate

Love the thread. What it must be like to have this knowledge and ability to do this!!!!

HD/Wrench

Very nice thread. Step by step very easy to follow. I like it..

mattVA

August 22, 2015, 07:48:41 AM #71 Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:37:32 PM by Coyote
Quote from: Coyote on August 20, 2015, 05:50:32 PM

And new piston oilers and inner cam bearings.

When sealing the cases do you apply the sealant to the flat surfaces of the right case half using your finger or a brush, around bolt holes and dowel pins?
2009 FXDF

Don D

Many opinions for sure..
I use a foam swab and loctite 518

Coyote

August 23, 2015, 02:07:56 PM #73 Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:37:56 PM by Coyote
A few more pics from today. Jim was nice enough to stop by today and made sure I did not miss any steps in the bottom end re assembly. Always nice to have an expert as a safety net when experience is limited as mine is.   :up:

Here is the Timken sleeve already pressed in and the oil holes and holes for the flange screws drilled. Ready to tap.

Flange screws installed and the races have been pressed in.

End play set at 0.002"

Pressing the bearing onto the crankshaft.

Applying the case sealant.

Case bolts installed and torqued down.

Thumper Buttercup

Coyote,

Really enjoying the work with all the pictures.

Thanks

Mark & Kim
04 Ultra, 95 Cu, 48N, Larry's Heads TTS