May 08, 2024, 11:31:49 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Rebuild time for the touring pig

Started by Coyote, August 13, 2015, 06:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyote

August 13, 2015, 06:00:25 PM Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 05:54:34 PM by Coyote
Since I got my 2012 back running I can finally deal with my 2011 touring Road Glide. It has about 66k miles on the clock and for the last year, it's been getting worse at puking oil out the breather. I've been wanting some more top end as I often ran out in the mountains. So yesterday I started the tear down.

Got this far yesterday working as I had time.

Kinda thought the rings might be the cause of the oil puking but found out that was not the cause.

Got the case out this morning and put it on the stand this afternoon to split it.

After it was split and cleaned up some, I removed the jets, oil filter adapter and studs.

Did a second cleaning on the case halves.  Once I get all the case sealant off I'll be ready to remove the bearings and do the Timken.
I had to order a few more tools but they should be here next week.

mike jesse

JC 92FXRS

Looks to be in pretty good shape...you're way more efficient at tear-down than me!!  :embarrassed:
Have it done in no time.
Cheers, Jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

No Cents

did you check the run out on the flywheels before splitting the cases?
Just wondering how much it had with 66K on the clock.
Looks good!  :up: 
Another 113 in the works?

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Coyote

I did check the run out and it was 0.0045. IIRC, it was 0.004 when I put the cams in new.

Since this is my cross country ride, I'm going a little more mild on this build. Will be boring to 107 (w/ Mahle pistons) and using GMR's 577 CAM. Already have heads done from HDSP and I have a new S&S crank to put in. I'll be replacing all of the motor mounts as well as any other wear parts.

No Cents

that sounds like a well thought out recipe!  :up:
I'm jealous  :embarrassed:
I love doing what your doing.

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Matt C

Coyote

Seems like a natural choice if you don't want to do case boring.

Jim Bronson

Impressive. I wish I had the tools, space and know-how to do that kind of work.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

04 SE Deuce

Really think a Timken insert / bearing is needed with a good crank like S&S?  I was planning on having Hoban Bros. do the insert when the time came versus drilled/screwed to case type.   Now I think I'll leave the roller,  John Sachs was the last one to say leave the case alone.  -Rick

BUBBIE

Quote from: MCE on August 13, 2015, 08:21:55 PM
Nice shop. Why 107?

HEY MCE, That ain't a shop. That is his Living Room... All pretty Tile and recessed Lift in the middle of it all...

This guy Lives in Pure Luxury... :SM:

signed....BUBBIE

Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: BUBBIE on August 13, 2015, 10:42:30 PM
Nice shop. Why 107?

HEY MCE, That ain't a shop. That is his Living Room... All pretty Tile and recessed Lift in the middle of it all...

signed....BUBBIE

Looks like he still needs to bolt down the vise...

That fan he's got is good.. Something like 45 bucks at lowes.. I got one..

prodrag1320

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on August 13, 2015, 09:54:40 PM
Really think a Timken insert / bearing is needed with a good crank like S&S?  I was planning on having Hoban Bros. do the insert when the time came versus drilled/screwed to case type.   Now I think I'll leave the roller,  John Sachs was the last one to say leave the case alone.  -Rick

any motor without one needs a Timken coinversion,no matter what brand or stroke

gabbyduffy

You where given good advise, if I was to do it again I would not use the timken. Especially with the S&S crank, I guess it all depends on your (horsepower/torque) goals, how radical is the motor?
                Coyote, nice looking shop and I really like that color on your RG. Is the color OEM?
Duffy 216-633-8541 eastern time zone.

slypig

Slypig
Panama City Fl

Cranksmith

"any motor without one needs a Timken conversion,no matter what brand or stroke"

Do you have personal experiences with lefty bearing failures? I have seen earlier INA failures, but not from the lefty upgrade. I've been waiting to see them fail, and haven't...

Coyote

I can't think of a reason not  to do the conversion while the case is apart. It only takes a couple hours or so to do it.  :nix:

Quote from: Max Headflow on August 13, 2015, 10:55:09 PM

Looks like he still needs to bolt down the vise...

The blue stand will hold the motor stand, crank/case stand or the vise. Speed knobs make switching from one to the other quick.  :up:

Quote from: gabbyduffy on August 14, 2015, 03:57:26 AM
Is the color OEM?

Nope. I painted this bike last year on the side yard. 

[attach=0]

Matt C

Quote from: BUBBIE on August 13, 2015, 10:42:30 PM
Nice shop. Why 107?

signed....BUBBIE

No kidding! I'm going to see about putting a workbench in my living room.  :scoot:

Matt C

Quote from: Coyote on August 13, 2015, 09:11:35 PM

Save that money for when you bore the case. (107 = waste of time & money)

Coyote

Quote from: MCE on August 14, 2015, 07:36:25 AM
Quote from: Coyote on August 13, 2015, 09:11:35 PM

Save that money for when you bore the case. (107 = waste of time & money)

I'm well aware of your thoughts on 107s.  I just don't agree.   :wink:

MikeL

When one goes that far into a Twin Cam especially a 2003 and up and not Timken the left case.....................?

MIKE

Ohio HD

Quote from: MIKEL on August 14, 2015, 07:54:30 AM
When one goes that far into a Twin Cam especially a 2003 and up and not Timken the left case.....................?

MIKE

Yep, sure won't hurt anything.

klammer76

Coyote,

Ya got any pictures of the blue stand? Did you make it or buy it? Seems like I recall you talking about it several years ago but I can't remember the specifics.

thanks,
klammer

Coyote

August 14, 2015, 09:04:47 AM #23 Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:34:52 PM by Coyote
Tweekmytwin designed the stand.  It is multi-purpose and also mounts the vise and motor stand shown.

klammer76

August 14, 2015, 09:59:11 AM #24 Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:35:10 PM by Coyote
Quote from: Coyote on August 14, 2015, 09:04:47 AM
Tweekmytwin designed the stand.  It is multi-purpose and also mounts the vise and motor stand shown.

Very nice. Is the base like a conventional car motor stand?