April 27, 2024, 06:26:34 AM

News:

First time at the drag strip

Started by 2006FXDCI, August 22, 2015, 01:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2006FXDCI

August 22, 2015, 06:16:05 PM #25 Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 06:19:20 PM by 2006FXDCI
Thanks Jim , i was just so excited pulling away from that ZX-14 and trying to get through the gears too quick . I beat him off the line both runs and just shot my load too fast  :embarrassed: I couldnt of done any of this without your help Jim , you da man  :beer:
2006 Super glide 107" , 2005 electra glide 124"

timtoolman

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on August 22, 2015, 05:53:46 PM
Thanks for all the kind words guys ! I knew i shouldnt of stopped at Clems BarBq on the way down , nerves and pulled pork didnt go so well together and im not a fan of poopin in porta pots ! Here are my slips for the first 2 runs

[/quote
That Clem's does it to me, I don't even stop there anymore, beside they usually are out of food by afternoon
Hillside 117 ,  2009 ultra
HTCS (AW/SW) USN RET.

q1svt

:up: :up: :up: great first runs and good time doing it.

Quote from: strokerjlk on August 22, 2015, 06:08:54 PM
staying in 1 st longer will improve you're 60 ft.
your shifting into 2 nd right before the 60
Listening to the youtube videos, it sounds like you might need a little more RPM's at launch...
Greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge.

jam65

Race yourself to the 60 foot mark and the rest of the run will improve along the way. The start is very important.

misfitJason

Not bad for a bagger.  Now time for the dyna
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

strokerjlk

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on August 22, 2015, 06:16:05 PM
Thanks Jim , i was just so excited pulling away from that ZX-14 and trying to get through the gears too quick . I beat him off the line both runs and just shot my load too fast  :embarrassed: I couldnt of done any of this without your help Jim , you da man  :beer:
it blows their minds when you stick it to em off the line.
its been a pleasure sharing your enthusiasm Josh.
there is always a line at the bathrooms, right before eliminations  :embarrassed: 
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

mike jesse

After watching the vids I can say this is a 12 flat or better bike with you aboard and more seat time.

2006FXDCI

Thanks guys for all your kind words and encouragement ! I think ive found me a new hobby  :chop:

jam65

August 22, 2015, 07:03:56 PM #33 Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 07:07:42 PM by jam65
it blows their minds when you stick it to em off the line.
its been a pleasure sharing your enthusiasm Josh.
there is always a line at the bathrooms, right before eliminations  :embarrassed:
[/quote]
Race pee jitters happen to many racers. Part of the game in my case.
It was an issue when I raced motocross and needed a 1st after a 2nd finish in moto 1.

N-gin

I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

jam65

Jim knows this venue for sure. I have phoned him before while at the strip to get some pointers. They worked well for me and have produced my best slips so far.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: No Cents on August 22, 2015, 04:04:32 PM
I have to fess up...I'm one of those internet racers that has never made it to the strip...unless I was sitting in the stands watching.
My dream has been to get my bike as competitive as I could before going to the strip...but I see it's going to be real tough to do with the likes of Jim stepping his game way up with this Pro Charger deal he is working on and the likes of the #1 plate holder. Low 10's is where the AMRA bagger class is...and soon I bet it will be in the 9's.
But...I'm officially retired from work as of last week...and I can now concentrate on going racing guys! [attach=0]  
I won't be close to winning with my set up...but I'll be trying as hard as I can and I will be having some big fun doing it.

Josh...you did a great job for the 1st time at the strip...and I congratulate you!

Ray

Too bad. You missed a lot.. I was running down the strip by the time I was out of high school.. A servi car will do the 1/4 in 22 seconds at 55 mph.. I'm not so hot on drag racing tho.. Club road race was fun.. It didn't make any difference whether you were battling it out for 1st / 5th / not being in last place, when you do 1 on 1 for minutes, it much more fun than seconds..

strokerjlk

Quoteauthor=Max Headflow when you do 1 on 1 for minutes, it much more fun than seconds.
thats what she said  :smiled:
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

Billy

Quote from: strokerjlk on August 24, 2015, 04:13:09 AM
Quoteauthor=Max Headflow when you do 1 on 1 for minutes, it much more fun than seconds.

:hyst:
Lazyness is the Mother of Invention

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: strokerjlk on August 24, 2015, 04:13:09 AM

:teeth:

Pete_Vit

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on August 22, 2015, 01:37:11 PM
Ive been talking about going to my nearest track for awhile now and finally made the trip yesterday to Pittsburgh drag strip in New Alexandria PA . Rode my electra glide down for test and tune night and made 3 passes . First pass was a 12.69 @ 110.38 mph , second pass was a little better 12.45 @ 111 mph . The third pass i hit the rev limiter hard in 3rd gear but still managed 12.49 @ 110.35 mph . I just want to take a minute and thank Jim Kennedy for all his help and guidance in getting me down the track . Youve been more help than you will ever know Jim ! Here are a couple videos from my 1st and 2nd run . Let me know what you guys think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLxAsnCs5g0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwpLjLGNPYc
Nice! Always wanted to take the Sporty to the stripe we have here local, just for the heck of it
Awesome!
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

rigidthumper

Welcome to the addiction! You can make a small fortune drag racing, and it's easy. Just start out with a large fortune and go racing...
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Durwood

Quote from: rigidthumper on August 24, 2015, 08:23:19 AM
Welcome to the addiction! You can make a small fortune drag racing, and it's easy. Just start out with a large fortune and go racing...
:agree: Picked up my 6 year chip this past April.... :hyst:

2006FXDCI

This will no doubt become my most expensive addiction to date ! Between guns , harleys and college for my daughter im gonna need a 3rd job !

glens

"guns" and "daughter in college" make sense together.  How's "Harley" figure in?  :)

rageglide

:up:  Very cool, Congrats to you for getting out there!  Great lights! 

I'm still sitting on the bar stool... Been to the Fun Drags several times watching buddies run.  Was always too worried about busting a belt a 100 miles from home.   :embarrassed:

BVHOG

Good job, fill us in on exactly what's in your bike.  The racing cost will seem trivial after paying for college.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Durwood

August 24, 2015, 04:18:53 PM #47 Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 04:21:58 PM by Durwood
Josh, you know I'm just funnin' Ya'. You will do great :up:

My problem is that I can't stop at an occasional Saturday night.

It's all in or nothing for me, we raced 2-3 nights a weekend for a long time.

2006FXDCI

Bob , its a 2005 flht with a crate 124" , HPI 55mm t-body with 6.2 injectors , pro clutch with lockup and a gold spring , boarzilla . It has ohlins 2-2 shocks on the rear . Yes the $25 entry fee will pare in comparison to the college tuition , she started today  :smileo: I was very leary of launching it at any higher than 2000 rpm's , all i could think about was Strokèrs post when he stripped the teeth off his belt ! I had to make sure it could make the trip 100 miles home . It was one of the best nights of my life !

2006FXDCI

August 24, 2015, 04:24:56 PM #49 Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 04:31:21 PM by 2006FXDCI
Daren , the only thing keeping me away from that track will be work ! Or a broken bike  :SM:  Rageglide , all i can say is ride down and try it . You dont have to go all out , i kept it in my mind that i was only there to race myself . I focused on good reaction times over trying for the fastest E.T. I highly recommend checking it off your bucket list !