May 08, 2024, 10:42:15 PM

News:

First time at the drag strip

Started by 2006FXDCI, August 22, 2015, 01:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durwood

Quote from: strokerjlk on August 26, 2015, 12:50:28 PM
Josh your excitement level makes me smile . I love it .
I shared this back when I ran my first official all Harley race ( AMRA )
But that was the day I knew I was hooked .
After struggling and qualifying 2nd from last ( at least I wasn't an alternate )
I ended up going to the finals against Donnie Huffman . 16 time national champ in AHDRA and AMRA .( I lost to him)  It was when I was sitting there in the staging lanes waiting to run the semi finals with all the guys I had idolized for years , I realized I was hooked .
From the left Brad Croneberger , me , Donnie Huffman , Larry Krause

I took that picture, that was Jim's first race, went to the semi's in dresser and the final in SE IIRC.

Memory lane, gotta love it. :up:

akjeff

Way to go Josh! Was hoping to pop my cherry this evening on Test & Tune night at our local strip, but got rained out. May have another chance on Sunday.

Jeff
'09 FLTR/120R/'91 XL1250 street tracker project/'07 DR-Z400S

2006FXDCI

Thanks Jeff ! Hope you get out there on sunday . If you do please post some pics and let us know how you did .
2006 Super glide 107" , 2005 electra glide 124"

akjeff

'09 FLTR/120R/'91 XL1250 street tracker project/'07 DR-Z400S

clawdog60

Quote from: Durwood on August 26, 2015, 06:13:55 PM
After struggling and qualifying 2nd from last ( at least I wasn't an alternate )
I ended up going to the finals against Donnie Huffman . 16 time national champ in AHDRA and AMRA .( I lost to him)  It was when I was sitting there in the staging lanes waiting to run the semi finals with all the guys I had idolized for years , I realized I was hooked .

I took that picture, that was Jim's first race, went to the semi's in dresser and the final in SE IIRC.

what track was that at.

Durwood

Quote from: clawdog60 on August 27, 2015, 08:33:46 AM
Quote from: Durwood on August 26, 2015, 06:13:55 PM

what track was that at.
Beech Bend Raceway, Bowling Green Ky.

clawdog60

jamess71

2006FXDCI

strokerjlk

This is where I got my leathers Josh .
299.00 top gear brand . They have other brands to .
Top gear fit a little small in the jacket and large in the pants , so order accordingly

http://www.topgearleather.com/
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

2006FXDCI

Thanks Jim ! I looked at the Vanson sight , them britches must be lined with vagina skin  :smilep:  pretty steep price on them !

strokerjlk

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on September 01, 2015, 06:17:59 AM
Thanks Jim ! I looked at the Vanson sight , them britches must be lined with vagina skin  :smilep:  pretty steep price on them !
Yeah they are pricey . Nice leathers though .

motolocopat

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on August 22, 2015, 04:38:46 PM
Thanks Ray , that means allot coming from you ! And i congratulate my IBEW brother on your retirement , well deserved ! I hope to see lots of videos of you at the track soon . Josh
A tip of the Hat to the IBEW fellas :beer:
MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950

Racepres

All the guys who wanna [or want someone else to] leave at higher throttle, shoulda been around when Buells were relatively New...
Them bad boys would rev hell outa their Buell, drop the hammer and "Swat" themselves, flat on their back on the Racetrack....Never been on a Prepped Track...We wrecked alot of Buells for a Couple years there...

2006FXDCI

Thanks Motolocopat ! Im IBEW generation side out of Johnstown PA , local 459 . Marty , thats exactly what i was afraid of , flipping over or breaking my belt ! I had to ride the old girl 100 miles home from the track . I just wanted to go A to B down the track . Practice and more practice will get me where i want to be . I saw a guy a year ago on the same track stand his wide glide up about 45* , he paincked and pulled in the clutch . Dropped the front end like a rock and broke his frame at the neck .

strokerjlk

One of my favorite pics . Not so much ,if you were paucho.

westcomb

Hossamania

Tether? I don't need no stinking tether!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Racepres

I remember...Look at Donnie Watchin him!!!!
Not the first, nor Only time!!!

-deuced-

Something odd about that pic. Other bike is stationary. Upside down guy's bike looks like it's on a centre stand, and he's got a tether.   :scratch:

strokerjlk

Quote from: -deuced- on October 14, 2015, 02:33:42 AM
Something odd about that pic. Other bike is stationary. Upside down guy's bike looks like it's on a centre stand, and he's got a tether.   :scratch:
It's not a center stand . It's his cheater rear pegs .

Racepres

And Donnie is sittin there watchin him...for the show!!! Nah...I think it was E-class and Paco had the slower bike..Or ET anyway!!

strokerjlk

Quote from: Racepres on October 14, 2015, 06:51:33 AM
And Donnie is sittin there watchin him...for the show!!! Nah...I think it was E-class and Paco had the slower bike..Or ET anyway!!
I think it was index class qualifying .Donnie likes to sit on the line and let you get 1/2 track before he launches, when he thinks he is being used as a rabbit .

Racepres

Or..as I have done in qualifying...Let the other guy get out of the way. [R/T don't count] then run your own pass.

strokerjlk

Quote from: Racepres on October 14, 2015, 07:15:44 AM
Or..as I have done in qualifying...Let the other guy get out of the way. [R/T don't count] then run your own pass.
I think Donnie does it so he can have both photographers taking pics of his cocked handlebar wheelies .  :chop: