Polished stainless complete bolt kits for big twins.

Started by Smarty, December 31, 2015, 03:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmorton10

Quote from: Xanadu on January 01, 2016, 12:35:15 PM
to prevent galling be sure to use some kind of lubricant.  once the bolt galls its cold welds itself and you cant take it apart.

I wanted to replace all the zinc plated fasteners on my motor with nice chromed ones...

You can use the show polished stainless from alloy boltz, that's what I did.  They look awesome & they send a small vial of Z-42 medium strength thread locker with the order & say make sure to use it.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

GregOn2Wheels

I've put complete kits from Alloy Boltz on the past 3 bikes I've owned and never had a problem with one of them.  Also haven't had to look at those nasty stock fasteners either.  I've had the show polished and the regular ones.  IMO, the show polish are a waste except for in places that are right in your face like switch covers.  The difference between the stock bolts and the regular polished is stunning.

akjeff

I've had good luck with polished Grade 8 from AlloyBoltz. Nice folks to deal with, and nice product. I just use Blue Loctite(or anti seize if safety wiring), and torque to the lower spec they suggest with the instructions.

Jeff
'09 FLTR/120R/'91 XL1250 street tracker project/'07 DR-Z400S

Xanadu

Rags, what did you see happen with the stock zinc plated stamped HD allen head bolts and the S-100?

I use S-100 engine brightener after each bike wash and have never noticed any detremental effects on the stock Allen head HD bolts.

Let me know what you saw, I would like to look for that.

Smarty

My order from Alloy Boltz shipped out today. Complete kit and the caliper kit as well.
Suspended by Smarty
Carol Burks

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: Xanadu on January 08, 2016, 10:59:26 AM
Rags, what did you see happen with the stock zinc plated stamped HD allen head bolts and the S-100?

I use S-100 engine brightener after each bike wash and have never noticed any detremental effects on the stock Allen head HD bolts.

I've used S100 since the mid 80's and haven't seen any problem.  You don't want to use on a warm engine or let sit in the sun.  Several years back Honda and Suzuki cleaner were S100,  don't know if they still are.

PoorUB

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on January 08, 2016, 02:44:04 PM
Quote from: Xanadu on January 08, 2016, 10:59:26 AM

I seriously doubt the S100 engine brightener would ever be a problem for corrosion. The total cycle cleaner, possibly. I looked for an MSDS for S100 but could not find one, but my bet is the brightener is mostly silicone and propellant.

I've used S100 since the mid 80's and haven't seen any problem.  You don't want to use on a warm engine or let sit in the sun.  Several years back Honda and Suzuki cleaner were S100,  don't know if they still are.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

turboprop

I get the convenience of pre-packaged 'kits', but for the OP, have you consider simply looking up the various bolt sizes none of the online harley parts manuals and buying the fasteners from someplace like Summit?

I have been doing this for years. The bolts typically come with washers and are sold in packs of five. The five to a pack will typically result in having a bolt or two left over, which is not a bad thing. After a few years of doing it this way I have a pretty good selection on hand of 12pt ARP hardware. Very handy for to have unhand for new projects or lost/missing bolts.

I source them from Summit with is probably lower than most other resellers.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/department/fasteners-hardware/brand/arp/part-type/bolts/fastener-head-style/12-point/fastener-finish/polished/washers-included/yes?N=4294951442%2B400295%2B4294920046%2B4294909414%2B4294908910%2B4294949151&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

No Cents

Quote from: turboprop on January 08, 2016, 03:56:33 PM
I get the convenience of pre-packaged 'kits', but for the OP, have you consider simply looking up the various bolt sizes none of the online harley parts manuals and buying the fasteners from someplace like Summit?

I have been doing this for years. The bolts typically come with washers and are sold in packs of five. The five to a pack will typically result in having a bolt or two left over, which is not a bad thing. After a few years of doing it this way I have a pretty good selection on hand of 12pt ARP hardware. Very handy for to have unhand for new projects or lost/missing bolts.

I source them from Summit with is probably lower than most other resellers.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/department/fasteners-hardware/brand/arp/part-type/bolts/fastener-head-style/12-point/fastener-finish/polished/washers-included/yes?N=4294951442%2B400295%2B4294920046%2B4294909414%2B4294908910%2B4294949151&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

Ed...save yourself some money next time and get your ARP bolts and nuts from:
allensfasteners.com

I just looked at your summit page and then went to allensfasteners to compare prices...much cheaper than summit.
If you know the size and lengths of the bolts you need...it would definitely be cheaper than buying a kit. He sells stainless, and black oxide ARP bolts, in 12 point and hex head. He also sells chrome bolts in SAE and metric.
Just trying to help.

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

turboprop

I did a cost comparison last year with Allens Fasteners, maybe it was just the odd combination of sizes, but it was less expensive going to Summit. As I recall Allen charged extra for the washers, which I needed.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

No Cents

January 08, 2016, 06:05:05 PM #35 Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 06:15:43 PM by No Cents
 even buying washers separate...it's still cheaper than summit.

Summit
[attach=0]

allens fasteners
[attach=1]
[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=4]

and here is the kicker...Summit charged $9.95 for shipping for the 10 bolts pictured...while Allen's fasteners charges $6.95 per order...if you buy 1 bolt or 100...the shipping is still $6.95.

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

DoubleZ

So if you buy the bolts individually how do you know what the new torque specs should be?   I've replaced a few bolts on my bike with the black ARP stuff but didn't realize the torque specs should be different. 

hmd1

2006FXDCI

January 18, 2016, 10:27:30 PM #38 Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 10:50:25 PM by 2006FXDCI
We use this product from Swagelok on all our stainless hardware in the power plant i work at . Works real nice and ive never had a problem with galling using it .

2006 Super glide 107" , 2005 electra glide 124"

JohnCA58

Quote from: 2006FXDCI on January 18, 2016, 10:27:30 PM
We use this product from Swagelok on all our stainless hardware in the power plant i work at . Works real nice and ive never had a problem with galling using it

I use to do a lot of stainless plumbing on LNG tanks for trucks,  Swagelok is a great product.   :up:
YOLO

Alien

I am a big fan of Alloyboltz. I've been using them for years and I like that the wife kept the business going. I don't get the show polished, the standard 12 point stainless looks great and holds up well.

At first I used never seize but I would occasionally have some fasteners loosen and get a leak?

I used blue Loctite for a bit but was concerned about dissimilar metals and galling?

I believe I read it here but I started using Aviation gasket sealant. Just a dab to coat the threads. Never had a bolt loosen and I've always been able to remove any bolt I wanted to?