April 27, 2024, 03:17:32 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

09 Ultra audio upgrade

Started by stogieluvr60, January 05, 2016, 05:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stogieluvr60

January 05, 2016, 05:18:42 PM Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 01:16:36 AM by stogieluvr60
Looking to upgrade the stereo in my 09 Ultra. I already know Biketronics audio is amazing...and it's out of my price range. I'm looking at a set Infinity Kappa 62.11i in the front and 52.11i in the rear. In addition I was looking at this amp http://www.ebay.com/itm/361424491939?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT to drive them...staying with the OEM HK head unit. It seems to me that this combination will provide a noticable improvement over the OEM set up. I'm not trying to win any competitions...I want to be able to listen to my tunes and not have to overdrive the hell out of things in the process. I appreciate all input...critical or otherwise...thanks.

Bsmith153

I bet that amp would barely run 2 of your speakers if you bridged it. Those wattagw numbers are way overblown, your stock head unit might put out more. I would take all your cash and get 4 really good speakers and wait on the amp until you can afford at least 3oo for good amp. Just my 2cents.
I dont race because I think im the fastest
I race because its Fun!

UltraNutZ

That NVX amp actually tested out very well but IMO there are better choices out there.  Since you're only looking to improve upon and not "win any competitions" then I would bet a $1 that you'd be happy with the following

Kicker 40CS654 in both the fairing and rear pods (yes they'll fit in rear pods)
Rockford PBR300x4 amp
you'll need 6.5" adapter rings for the fairing and I"m pretty sure if memory serves me correct that the 40CS654 speakers allow the use of the stock grills in the rear pods.  Less than $350 all in and you've got a very nice upgrade to stock.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

stogieluvr60

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 06, 2016, 04:01:26 AM
That NVX amp actually tested out very well but IMO there are better choices out there.  Since you're only looking to improve upon and not "win any competitions" then I would bet a $1 that you'd be happy with the following

Kicker 40CS654 in both the fairing and rear pods (yes they'll fit in rear pods)
Rockford PBR300x4 amp
you'll need 6.5" adapter rings for the fairing and I"m pretty sure if memory serves me correct that the 40CS654 speakers allow the use of the stock grills in the rear pods.  Less than $350 all in and you've got a very nice upgrade to stock.
Alright UltraNutz....thanks for your input. I have 2 other questions....what is the most efficient interface between the amp you suggested and the OEM head unit? Also..will the OEM speaker wires suffice or should I run heavier gauge wire to these speakers? Thanks....

UltraNutZ

with what you're doing, stock wire is fine

easiest way to interface with that amp is take the stock fairing speaker wires and connect to front input on amp then run a short speaker wire from amp to each fairing speaker.

The rear, you'll need to snip wires 1,2,24,25 on that 35 pin harness and connect the ends coming out the radio to the rear amp input and then the rear amp output to the other end of those wires you just snipped.

stogieluvr60

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 06, 2016, 11:53:10 AM
with what you're doing, stock wire is fine

easiest way to interface with that amp is take the stock fairing speaker wires and connect to front input on amp then run a short speaker wire from amp to each fairing speaker.

The rear, you'll need to snip wires 1,2,24,25 on that 35 pin harness and connect the ends coming out the radio to the rear amp input and then the rear amp output to the other end of those wires you just snipped.
Very good info...thx! I ran across this install kit http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKFORD-FOSGATE-PUNCH-PBR-300X2-300X4-AMP-INSTALL-KIT-H-D-TOURING-98-13-/261948734083?hash=item3cfd5c7a83:g:nFEAAOSw-7RVCJwd  While this has it all, it seem "all" is not necessary correct? The mount would be helpful but aside from it and some heavy gauge wire for power & ground, that's all thats needed....would the fan be a good idea?

UltraNutZ

certainly has everything you need in one place.  Mounting kit will cost you $50, battery wire, fuse holder, fuse - another $25.  Might as well grab it since it has all the other wiring with it that you'll likely need

stogieluvr60

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 06, 2016, 12:22:21 PM
certainly has everything you need in one place.  Mounting kit will cost you $50, battery wire, fuse holder, fuse - another $25.  Might as well grab it since it has all the other wiring with it that you'll likely need
:up: :beer: Thanks again!

stogieluvr60

One more thing... :emoGroan:  Would I need adapter rings for the pods?

UltraNutZ

nope.. not with those Kicker speakers mentioned above.

stogieluvr60