May 09, 2024, 12:49:05 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

HP/TQ gains from installing ported heads on a stage 1 stock cam 96 ci engine ?

Started by strokerjlk, January 20, 2016, 07:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strokerjlk

I put a set of HDSP Don Dorfman's heads on my stock 96 ci stage 1 bike .
Stock 2007 cams , Green air filter with SE backing plate . Reinhert true duals . ( old style 3.5 performance baffles .
Looking at the dyno sheet , what will the gains be HP/ TQ wise ?
Leave your prediction . Winner will get an "at a boy "
Run # 13 ( blue graph ) is the run I will use as the final stage 1 baseline .
78.40 Hp 97.53 TQ
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

hdmanillac

2017 FLHR + 2019 FXLR + 2007 XL1200R

UltraNutZ

with those heads, the lack luster performance of a true dual on an otherwise stock bike, but the added improvement with the old style 3.5 mufflers..

I'll go 88/109
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

u4hd2

Don't force it! Get a bigger hammer

prodrag1320

jim,do you have a complete flow chart? before my prediction,im wondering what the heads are flowing @ .500 (the 285/223 wont even come into play)don't want to get "picky" about this,but heads should be ported for the combination being used,for one,the 1.710 runners are too big for a stock cammed,96" motor.this test should be for what cam don ported the heasds for,then try with stock vs. ported heads

1FSTRK

"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

prodrag1320

that's important to,unless they were milled to the original cc`s,the bigger valves & unshrouding will gain 3-5 cc`s

Tireman

1984 FLHS 80" 57/61  2009 SG Mega Flo 124"152/154
2011 TG Mega Flo 117" 116/127

Jonny Cash

Accurate information is expensive, rare and difficult to find!

strokerjlk

Quote from: prodrag1320 on January 20, 2016, 07:55:11 AM
jim,do you have a complete flow chart? before my prediction,im wondering what the heads are flowing @ .500 (the 285/223 wont even come into play)don't want to get "picky" about this,but heads should be ported for the combination being used,for one,the 1.710 runners are too big for a stock cammed,96" motor.this test should be for what cam don ported the heasds for,then try with stock vs. ported heads
The flow sheet is in this thread as an attachment in Dons post .
I couldn't copy it , or I would post it here .
http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,88223.0.html

[attach=0]

strokerjlk

Quote from: 1FSTRK on January 20, 2016, 08:04:33 AM
Jim please give us the new CCP with these heads.
I will get the CCP the first chance I get .
Heads were surfaced .004 and .006 to achieve 85 cc's

BUBBIE

Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

dynaglide

strokerjlk

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 20, 2016, 07:48:37 AM
with those heads, the lack luster performance of a true dual on an otherwise stock bike, but the added improvement with the old style 3.5 mufflers..

I'll go 88/109
Curious what lack luster performance you are talking about ?
This happens to be my best stage 1 96 ci I have ever tuned .
2 nd best is also a set of RH/TD's on a 2007 road king .
Round up all the stage 1 96 dyno sheets you can . Show me how many 97 tq you find .

strokerjlk

I agree with most everything your saying .
Let's pretend I just ordered a set of Dons off the shelf street heads .or a set of E bay ported heads . Don has already said he would have recommended his pro street TQ head for this test .
But he knows I am going to put some kind of cam in it. I gave him a couple examples . But won't be using either of those at first .
I wanted to set the cc's at 79-82 and pump the compression to it . Don wanted to leave it at 85 cc as that is the average . I don't blame him . He even offered to set them at any cc I want after this test . I won't do that.  But I will put a cam in it like it is .

UltraNutZ

haven't seen that TD head pipe perform very well on many tunes with a stock motor such as what you indicated - a built motor is a different story.  I'm not criticizing you or anything you're saying stroker.  That's just my experience, and the disclaimer is, I'm NOT a tuner. 

Hossamania

I started following this build in the link Jim posted,  and it was pretty impressive the gains that he got on that 96" stage one motor. A true example of what a proper tune can do.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

strokerjlk

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 20, 2016, 10:45:49 AM
haven't seen that TD head pipe perform very well on many tunes with a stock motor such as what you indicated - a built motor is a different story.  I'm not criticizing you or anything you're saying stroker.  That's just my experience, and the disclaimer is, I'm NOT a tuner.
It gets a bad wrap . Actually a pretty good pipe.

UltraNutZ

Quote from: strokerjlk on January 20, 2016, 12:14:13 PM
It gets a bad wrap . Actually a pretty good pipe.

no doubt it does  :up: .  And as stated above I think a LOT of what is missing from a good pipe, muffler, cam, head, air filter combo is the tune itself.  People spend (I see a lot of it on these forums and quite a bit on jobs I do as well) gobs of $ on go-fast parts only to cheap out on the most important piece of it, the tune - and then try to tune these bikes themselves.  Some get them close, some couldn't get it close if their lives depended on it regardless what device they tune with.

prodrag1320

Quote from: strokerjlk on January 20, 2016, 10:40:37 AM
I agree with most everything your saying .
Let's pretend I just ordered a set of Dons off the shelf street heads .or a set of E bay ported heads . Don has already said he would have recommended his pro street TQ head for this test .
But he knows I am going to put some kind of cam in it. I gave him a couple examples . But won't be using either of those at first .
I wanted to set the cc's at 79-82 and pump the compression to it . Don wanted to leave it at 85 cc as that is the average . I don't blame him . He even offered to set them at any cc I want after this test . I won't do that.  But I will put a cam in it like it is .

that's cool,like I said,i don't want to sound like im picking the test apart.i agree with don leaving at 85cc (most likely that's what the heads were to begin with).its just that (from what ive seen) sometimes over porting (from putting ported heads on a stock motor)can actually lower tq.it`ll be intersesting.if you ever wanted to do something like this on a mild build (cams only)and try a set of my street port heads,let me know,ide do up a set for ya

86fxwg

86fxwg 06flhx 10flhx