May 09, 2024, 06:46:11 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Floppy Kick Stand Cure

Started by djl, January 26, 2016, 08:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoorUB

January 27, 2016, 01:18:24 PM #25 Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 01:51:37 PM by PoorUB
It kills me how someone can take a three minute job and turn it into a ten minute production, and still screw it up!

Where do I go to get my ten minutes back?
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

calif phil

I installed a no toil kit on a 2014 FLHX today.   It works really well. 

moscooter

Quote from: gryphon on January 27, 2016, 12:36:10 PM
Yeah, he hooked the spring over the top on the kickstand loop.

:up:  Yup,  He did not re-attach both ends of the spring wrong,  he made the mistake of going in the front side of the kickstand hole versus the correct backside where it should have been.  Other than that mistake,  ya gotta note the background big (Advertisement) for Locktite products..............thus why he was promoting all the various products they have in this video.

:wink:

truck

That guy reminds me of Barney Fife. :gob:
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

fbn ent

Good catch Max!!  :up:

"It's critical you read your Service Manual...."

[attach=0]

:oops: :hyst:

'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

sharkoilfield

While on the topic of kick stands, the stand on the wife's Low Rider was loose and the bike leaned over too far for her. Installed an oillite bushing in the swivel block the stand goes into under the engine and added a fraction of an inch of weld on top of the stand tab that engages the frame lugs when it's out. Stand works slick and smooth and bike sits up just enough to make raising it off the stand easier. 

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: djl on January 26, 2016, 08:01:54 AM
Stand doesn't lock when extended and when collapsed, it dangles and does not hold tight against the frame.  I have replaced the spring but no change. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Anyone using the "Kicker" by No Toil?
EDIT: Never mind, looks like the Kicker is only available for '09 and up. :cry:

That's cuz it ain't needed on a pre-09..  :scratch:

calif phil

Your right Max   The earlier Jiffy stands were way better than the 2009 and up.  With my short legs it takes me two tries to get the Jiffystand extended.   

Templar2

Quote from: djl on January 27, 2016, 06:48:19 AM
Quote from: Templar2Not sure what year, but mine (2007 FLSTC) has the one piece stand and bracket, if the bushings wear to much (2 of them) then the stand will flop a bit no matter what spring you use.  I just rebuilt the whole thing with all new components and now it is just like new and holds tight against the primary.

2002 FLHT

Lucky you, easy replacement, even on the side of a road!!

djl

January 30, 2016, 11:38:18 AM #34 Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 12:08:27 PM by djl
Decided to go ahead and address the floppy jiffy stand issue while putting things back together after replacing a needle bearing in the MDG.  Check the photo; obviously bent but I am not sure about what the original position should be but I think it should go out from the stand leg at about 90*?  Afraid it will snap off when I try to bend it back.  IIRC, that leg is an expensive part; $150 or thereabouts, so obviously I would like to avoid buying a new one. :embarrassed:

EDIT: Figured if the tab broke I would be buying a new one anyway, so I bent it back to where I thought it should be (see second photo), put it back together and it works like it should; locks when out and the rubber bumper is tight against the frame.  Success and it took all of 10 minutes. :wink: :baby:

BUBBIE

Borrowing your Thread djl as you have it completed... :SM:....Tks....

Haven't got it in front of me, just telling... JFYI:

On the 09 Touring models (FLHR King in particular) there were a few that had a TOO much lean-over on the left side stand caused by a different bolt-on frame casting Kick-stand holder...
Not a recall BUT a Service Bulletin to HD shops said "IF" a owner complained during the two year warranty Just replace it... Giving numbers of the too far over casting and the More up-right casting.

Mine LEANS way over. Too good of an exercise, so I usually find a spot Level or UP never Down to park...  I have had times when I never looked at the spot, putting it into a Lean Way-Over and IT's tough to get it up :hyst:

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

04 SE Deuce

My 2004 service manual says to lube with anti-seize,  even though it's not Max's favorite it works better for park'n em in the house.  :wink:  -Rick

BUBBIE

February 04, 2016, 09:39:11 AM #37 Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 02:46:20 PM by BUBBIE
Quote from: BUBBIE on January 30, 2016, 12:54:00 PM

On the 09 Touring models (FLHR King in particular) there were a few that had a TOO much lean-over on the left side stand caused by a different bolt-on frame casting Kick-stand holder...
Not a recall BUT a Service Bulletin to HD shops said "IF" a owner complained during the two year warranty Just replace it... Giving numbers of the too far over casting and the More up-right casting.

Mine LEANS way over. Too good of an exercise, so I usually find a spot Level or UP never Down to park...  I have had times when I never looked at the spot, putting it into a Lean Way-Over and IT's tough to get it up :hyst:

signed....BUBBIE

That Service Bulletin dated March 18, 2009... Number  M-1243... shows the proper Bracket  JFI.... Good only while your bike was under 2 yr warranty by HD...

ADDED: THANKS 14GuineaPig, for posting the Bulletin... :SM:
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

14GuineaPig

jmorton10

I learned my lesson years ago when a freak thing happened to me because of a weak spring.

I was riding a very low (2" understock fork tubes) rigid shovel with drag bars.  The kickstand had been flopping around for a very long time but I just never got around to replacing the spring.

I was coming home late one night & had to go around a very sharp bend in the road that I had ridden around hundreds of times.  As I leaned it around the corner, all of a sudden something happened that almost tore the bars out of my hands & almost broke one of my wrists.  The bike had slid/twisted sideways and I almost crashed.

I managed to keep it up but my right wrist was killing me.  I had NO IDEA what had happened at the time, but I was only one block from my house so I kept going & made it home.  The next morning, I went back to that same curve to see if I could figure out what happened.

It didn't take me too long to figure it out.  There was a round hole in the pavement about the size of a softball & the foot tab on the bouncing kickstand happened to catch right in that hole when I was halfway around the corner!!

That was years ago & I have always made sure my spring worked right from then on.........

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

Rags722

Quote from: BUBBIE on February 04, 2016, 09:39:11 AM
Quote from: BUBBIE on January 30, 2016, 12:54:00 PM

signed....BUBBIE

That Service Bulletin dated March 18, 2009... Number  M-1243... shows the proper Bracket  JFI.... Good only while your bike was under 2 yr warranty by HD...

ADDED: THANKS 14GuineaPig, for posting the Bulletin... :SM:

Then again, if you find someone lowering their bike, they would probably be willing to swap even for a kick stand that let the bike lean over a bit more.