May 08, 2024, 10:24:37 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Floppy Kick Stand Cure

Started by djl, January 26, 2016, 08:01:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djl

January 26, 2016, 08:01:54 AM Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 08:18:47 AM by djl
Stand doesn't lock when extended and when collapsed, it dangles and does not hold tight against the frame.  I have replaced the spring but no change. Any suggestions?

EDIT: Anyone using the "Kicker" by No Toil?
EDIT: Never mind, looks like the Kicker is only available for '09 and up. :cry:

jerseyhardtail

There's a few sizes for the spring. To keep stand up while riding I think jp has a rubber clip you clamp to Frame that will hold stand in place
No longer in NJ retired on the Mountain in PA

fbn ent

When you replaced the spring did you follow the procedure in the Service Manual? It'll stretch if not...
'02 FLTRI - 103" / '84 FLH - 88"<br />Hinton, Alberta

djl

Quote from: fbn entWhen you replaced the spring did you follow the procedure in the Service Manual? It'll stretch if not...

Well, now that you mention it............................. :embarrassed:

Panzer

Time to get another spring, hey.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

djl

Quote from: PanzerTime to get another spring, hey.

Yup.  Easy fix if that is the problem. :wink:

60wt

Had same problem, after 3 harley springs, (HD and after market) went to ace hardware, bought a standard looking spring, approx 1/2'' by 3''...... works perfect cost under $3.00....
I'm going nucking futs

chaos901

Also, I have had a side stand get bent just a little before (really could not see it) but it would stretch the spring out when the bike was parked.  Went thru several springs (changing the correct way) before I figured what the real issue was.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

remington007

The tab on the side stand could be bent, not allowing full tension on the spring. 

Templar2

Not sure what year, but mine (2007 FLSTC) has the one piece stand and bracket, if the bushings wear to much (2 of them) then the stand will flop a bit no matter what spring you use.  I just rebuilt the whole thing with all new components and now it is just like new and holds tight against the primary.

djl

Quote from: Templar2Not sure what year, but mine (2007 FLSTC) has the one piece stand and bracket, if the bushings wear to much (2 of them) then the stand will flop a bit no matter what spring you use.  I just rebuilt the whole thing with all new components and now it is just like new and holds tight against the primary.

2002 FLHT

Pete_Vit

93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

Admiral Akbar

HD95

X2 on following the service manual,I have an 03 EGC,changed mine and it works as it should.
03 Electra-Glide/S&S 124"/TTS/Supertrapp

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Max Headflow on January 27, 2016, 08:59:57 AM
Quote from: moscooter on January 27, 2016, 08:06:01 AM
:pop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-kvbAZtcIQ

:hyst:

Only made about 3-5 mistakes.. Doubt the spring last that long after the work..
ah man  :cry:  :wtf: and I was just gonna spend the 7 bucks to subscribe.... I know my wife's 93 Sporty's setup is not like that and I've been fighting the floppy kick stand for a while now,  Max can you elaborate for me (those that don't know any better) thanks
I have the SM, and followed it and still end up with a floppy kick stand

rigidthumper

If he gets paid to do those videos, I should be a millionaire!
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Admiral Akbar

1. the guy used antisieze.. Shoulda used grease.. These bikes get hot but the side-stand not so much..

2. He hosed off the area but should have lubed the loops where the spring runs through.  Biggest issue for spring failure is where on the hooks and loops at the ends. Run dry and they rust and wear. Hooks eventually brake off and the holes wear out.. I run a drain under the filter to the side stand when chaining oil and some typically dribbles on pivot and spring. Only wipe the excess off with a rag..

3 -4 he hooked the each end of the spring wrong.

Look at it before he screwed it up..

[attach=0]

Look at it after..

[attach=1]

The spring has a curve in it on the left side (towards the front) ..Not good.  Hard to tell what is loading the spring to bend it like that it will probably fatigue and break.

The spring on the right is hooked backwards..  May not seem important but something hitting that spring like a rock can unhook it.. I've seen it happen.

Admiral Akbar

Whats hilarious is the guy is serious about putting things back the way they were and he missed the obvious..

Pete_Vit

Quote from: Max Headflow on January 27, 2016, 11:11:32 AM
Whats hilarious is the guy is serious about putting things back the way they were and he missed the obvious..

Nice catch Max -  :up: I need to pay more attention to detail, I was wondering why aniseize but ASSumed he was an expert. another reason why I love this place.
again thanks Max
:beer: :beer: 

rigidthumper

"ASSumed he was an expert. "

Ex- something that used to be.

Spurt- a drip under pressure.

:)
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Pete_Vit

Quote from: rigidthumper on January 27, 2016, 11:34:38 AM
"ASSumed he was an expert. "

Ex- something that used to be.

Spurt- a drip under pressure.

:)
:hyst:

Bike31

Local HD shop uses anti-seize vs grease on the side stand and shifter cross shaft. I tried it once but on later bikes used Moly 60 paste. Ever try to get moly off a surface or your hands? Most grease will eventually weep oil and dry the thickener. The only stuff that lasts for me in weather exposed apps is aircraft grade Shell 22 or Exxon-Mobile SCH-100 grease.

Tsani

Have no issue with the anti-seize. He also didn't clean out the threaded hole. I think the spring bent because of the way he put the hooks in.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

gryphon

Yeah, he hooked the spring over the top on the kickstand loop.