May 07, 2024, 08:17:59 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

OT-"Fewer Americans support stricter gun control laws"

Started by Dennis The Menace, April 08, 2009, 10:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis The Menace

Excerpt from the CNN article.....

"Since 2001, most Americans have favored stricter gun laws, though support has slightly dropped in recent years: 54 percent favored stricter laws in 2001, compared with 50 percent in 2007, according to Gallup polling.

Now, a recent poll reveals a sudden drop -- only 39 percent of Americans now favor stricter gun laws, according to a new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll.

The gradual, long-term decline in support for gun control from the early 1990s to 2008 coincided with a decline in the murder rate. But this year's sudden drop seems to be influenced by politics, namely the Obama administration.

"If [President Obama] and the people in control of Congress right now could have what they want, they would heavily restrict or eliminate guns from this country," said Sean Healy, an attorney who has advocated on behalf of gun-owner rights. "

From Bill Schneider
CNN Senior Political Analyst
CNN.com
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/04/08/gun.control.poll/index.html

Keep it civil or this thread will get popped faster than any gun can go off.

In my opinion, this just illustrates how important gun rights are to us as Americans, and such a poll as described in this article offers a small level of proof.  Personally, I really wish gov would focus on the real issue--lack of meaningful penalties for those who commit a crime with a gun.  It will never stop all the killing, but I am sure it would reduce it some.
Trying to control, and even banish, guns and ammo will never work anyway, so why try to teach the pig to sing?
menace

apes

Civil...Yes I understand.  My issue isn't withnot being allowed to  have something for self protection during the commitment a crime....my issue is what would be the long term effect on this country if only the politicians controlled firearms and only allowed the military and the police to have them....it would be sort of what the Eastern Bloc countries experienced after WWII........what elections

Phu Cat

Agree with this: this just illustrates how important gun rights are

But disagree with this: I really wish gov would focus on the real issue--lack of meaningful penalties for those who commit a crime with a gun.    This is only a small part of the problem.  Those that want to eliminate gun rights refuse to recognize those that shoot others willy-nilly are  a 'social' problem that the gov't is trying to remedy with a 'legal' fix.  Ya can't fix a social problem (people acting on their emotions without thinking) with more  laws.  The people that commit these acts don't care about the laws.

Another part of this problem is that the people that shoot others see going to jail as a badge of honor......something to be proud of.  Until that philosophy dies out, nothing's going to change.
PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Clintster

I'll only say this, recently in the media it was brought forth that the shooters in these latest tragedies had permits for the weapons.  It isn't the weapons that are the problem.
Drive fast, take chances

Princess Butt

As long as there are politicians and government employees, there will be social issues which justify the employment and financial compensation of government.

When one social ill is addressed with a great government program which fixes everything and makes our world a perfect world, a new societal ill shall step forward which will bring an audience to the press (so they may sell advertisement space while we read their inaccurate, and rushed to the presses drivel) and the press shall ask the government to intervene, since the government is a perfect entity and will provide a perfect solution.

What does this mean?

It's just like the weight loss industry. If they truly fixed it, we wouldn't need them anymore, and they would be unemployed.

BnEUC

Shiny side up, rubber side down.

RK101

I have know problem with background checks for gun ownership or having the right to carry a firearm.  I do believe that the average person is starting to realize that if only the criminals/terrorist have guns and responsible hard working Americans are forbidden gun ownership then we're all in deep Dodo.

No politics from me just stating my opinion.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

apendejo

Criminals commit crimes, it's that simple.
Owning a legal gun does not make you a criminal.
You can be the most stable, sane, reliable gun owning individual in the world, but use that weapon in the commission of a defined crime and you become a criminal.
Do the politicians have an answer for that? Mind reading? Mind control?
Take away that same persons gun and substitue knife, club, rock, automobile, steamroller, etc. If he makes that decision to become a criminal, he will do so with whatever means is available.
Enforce the 1000's of laws that are on the books already and leave the law abiding citizens alone.
AP

takwolf

Applications for concealed carry permits are going through the roof too.
"RIDE WITH THE WIND"

HogBob

In every state with less restrictive laws pertaining to legal gun purchase and carry, crime has decreased. Remember when Florida eased their laws and made concealed carry relative easy for law abiding citizens? All the antigun zealots wailed that it would be "another wild west scenario". That never happened and the crime rate decreased. Every state with restrictive gun laws have higher rates of crime against their law abiding unarmed citizens. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand why this is so. But many politicians still count on the votes of those that want strict gun laws because they are either too stupid or weak to realize that self defense is their own responsibility and a God given right protected(supposedly) by the Second Ammendment. The Police will try to catch the criminal that kills you but will not be there to keep it from happ.ening in the first place. Self defense is primarily you own responsibility!
Bob

tireater

The last time I called 911...The cops NEVER came...I'll keep my guns...The cops can keep the chalk...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

HogBob

New Jersey is a perfect example of the results of restrictice gun laws. Handgun purchase permits are very difficult to get and concealed carry permits are almost impossible, unless you are a fairly high level politician. I think its rather ironic to see how our state (and Federal) legislators all seem to be accompanied by armed State Police whenever they are in public, but ther average citizen is not allowed even a fration of that level of protection. I guess thats why New Jersey has such "safe cities" as Newark and Camden.
Bob

98roadking

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand why this is so. But many politicians still count on the votes of those that want strict gun laws because they are either too stupid or weak to realize that self defense is their own responsibility

So much for keeping it civil.

and a God given right protected(supposedly) by the Second Ammendment. Since when is Jefferson considered God. None of our ammendments are God given.

tireater

An armed person will kill an unarmed person with monotonous regularity...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

slo-poke 03

Florida state universitys magazine called Research in review  spring/winter 2009 just had a large artical about gun control. My neighbor who went there gave it to me. I believe it was written by Jeff Worley and talks to criminology professor Gary Kleck. They look at and discuss all the facts and myths concering this issue, it's very good, I don't know if you can acess it on line, but if you can you should read it, it dispells alot of disinformation. This issue brings out alot of emotion in people, but you have to stay with the facts to make good decisions.

slo-poke 03

Oh yeah it's good to know when seconds count, help is only minutes away.

fxstdavew

You those of you that find this subject very important you should become members of the NRA if you're not already . Granted they aren't perfect but If you want your voice heard this is the vehicle.
Most bike problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat

Redrubicon2004

I'll bet when they said these things they never thought that nearly 200 years later the very things they were warning us against are now starting to become reality.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one."--
Cesare Beccaria  1819

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the
right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort,
to protect against tyranny in government."---Thomas Jefferson

Think about it.  If they take our guns, criminals will be nearly invincible and the government will become uncontrollable.

Evo1

They can only take some, maybe most, but not all of the guns. It will be no different than drugs or booze.

theRAVE06

Have the anti-gun folk's answer just one question with a number and only a number.  No discussion allowed. "How many people in last week's mass murder of 13 people would have been killed if everyone carried a gun ?
Dave.

Dennis The Menace

Dave, not sure, but maybe same amount.  The shooter had the element of surprise, and he fired over 100 rounds between 2 guns in the span of 1 MINUTE!  He was practiced at the art of putting max rounds down range, unfortunately.  The Fukin coward.  Glad that he took himself out...just wish he had taken the first bullet.  Coward.

menace

Fxstchewy

Just my opinion, but since the people in that building were not American citizens yet and probably not carry legally, someone working there could, and if they did pull out a 5 shot snubbie and start firing it may have changed his plans, granted he was wearing some sort of armor but still no body wants bullets headed their way, could have a least slowed him down. 
"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."

RK101

Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

MrClean

Tonight on ABC TV the show 20/20 will air a program called, "If I Only Had a Gun".

I'm wondering how many here will disagree with what the program shows us.

Quote from: theRAVE06 on April 09, 2009, 09:52:23 PM
Have the anti-gun folk's answer just one question with a number and only a number.  No discussion allowed. "How many people in last week's mass murder of 13 people would have been killed if everyone carried a gun ?
Dave.

None if one had not been carrying a gun and if everyone had been carrying a gun, no more than 13.  :potstir:

These are the facts according to my opinions.

GaryD

I couldn't have agreed more with that woman. I was living a few miles down the road from the attack she talked about in Killeen, Tx.
I really wanted to smack everyone of those self righeous politicians looking at her probably thinking what a nut case she is. She was right about guns protecting us from them.

Who in their right mind thinks that banning guns (from law abiding citizens)will stop crime. The %$#@ criminals ARE NOT going to be detered --they don't legally buy guns.
Chicago banned guns years ago and it is the murder capital of the country.

Wise up anti gun people.

MrClean, I bet a lot will diagree. Especially parents that their child killed themselves after finding dads (incorrectly stored)gun.
AMA Life Mbr.
USMC VietNam 66-67 3rd Tnk. Bat