May 01, 2024, 01:41:31 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Milwaukee Eight Cylinder Heads

Started by SP33DY, August 26, 2016, 02:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deye76

"Just moved to central Florida after 32+ years in south Florida."

Awesome, much closer now.  :up:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

FSG

These new Exhaust Studs look to be easily installed with the end hex

04efidynasuperglide

mr sachs, where are you located in cfl ? 
chieffie

Ohio HD

Quote from: FSG on August 31, 2016, 01:16:09 AM
These new Exhaust Studs look to be easily installed with the end hex

:up:    Was probably a time saver on the line. 

FSG

Quote:up:    Was probably a time saver on the line.

:up:

Deye76

Quote from: 04efidynasuperglide on August 31, 2016, 04:34:57 AM
mr sachs, where are you located in cfl ?

1252 Catalina Blvd.
Deltona, Fl. 32725
386-561-9044
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

HD/Wrench

pentaroof head .. is not new by any means , but as stated this is for a low rpm engine .  time will tell  as to how they work , and what can be done to improve them. Who knows they may be a great head right out the gate. after all 95% of the guys want that low end grunt any ways .. as the 6 speed trans has too many gears or maybe they just dont like to shift  :hyst: 

PoorUB

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on September 01, 2016, 06:15:54 AMafter all 95% of the guys want that low end grunt any ways .. as the 6 speed trans has too many gears or maybe they just dont like to shift  :hyst:

That about covers it. I find it amazing that guys bitch that their engine will not pull long grades at 60 MPH in 6th gear. Down shift!

I remember when I had my '05 and it was a stock 88". Guys were complaining about the performance in the mountains. On the other hand I had been out in the mountains and tore them up on my stock 88", but I had discovered the lever do-hickey by my left foot helps a bunch if you take a second to move it down a notch or two.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

SixShooter14

Quote from: PoorUB on September 01, 2016, 02:39:02 PM
Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on September 01, 2016, 06:15:54 AMafter all 95% of the guys want that low end grunt any ways .. as the 6 speed trans has too many gears or maybe they just dont like to shift  :hyst:

That about covers it. I find it amazing that guys bitch that their engine will not pull long grades at 60 MPH in 6th gear. Down shift!

I remember when I had my '05 and it was a stock 88". Guys were complaining about the performance in the mountains. On the other hand I had been out in the mountains and tore them up on my stock 88", but I had discovered the lever do-hickey by my left foot helps a bunch if you take a second to move it down a notch or two.
It's a common problem in 4-wheeled rigs as well...folks are afraid of rpms

The emission regs force trannys to stay in as high a gear possible to save fuel. But pulling those revs higher up on the power curves sure helps it perform
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Hossamania

Quick tranny observation, not only do people not downshift going up grades, they don't downshift going down. Had a minivan driver complaining about using so much brake coming down a mountain grade. I asked if he downshifted out of overdrive, and maybe even to second gear. He looked at me like I was talking a different language.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

rbabos

Quote from: Hossamania on September 04, 2016, 09:54:00 AM
Quick tranny observation, not only do people not downshift going up grades, they don't downshift going down. Had a minivan driver complaining about using so much brake coming down a mountain grade. I asked if he downshifted out of overdrive, and maybe even to second gear. He looked at me like I was talking a different language.
I thought you gave up trying to fix stupid? :wink:
Ron

Hossamania

Quote from: rbabos on September 04, 2016, 10:35:50 AM
I thought you gave up trying to fix stupid? :wink:
Ron

This was years ago. Although, some habits are hard to break, I still occasionally offer advice, but it happens much less now.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

moscooter

:wink:
That minivan likely had disc brakes on the front and drums on the back or maybe all disc.  Had he (drums all around) or a heavier van/truck,  he would learn to use the transmission lower gears in a pretty quick time. :potstir:

Once you experience genuine brake "fade",  you don't soon forget. :oops:

FLHRI_2004

Quote from: moscooter on September 04, 2016, 12:04:15 PM. . . Once you experience genuine brake "fade",  you don't soon forget. :oops:

Yeah, been there, done that ('66 Chevelle 6 cyl car converted to a 283, four small drums).  :dgust:
My Ride: Road King

PoorUB

Gonenorth and I ride out west every year and end up following bikes more than we like. It seems like everyone of them is dragging the brakes going down grades and we will run one gear lower and rarely touch the brakes. I swear I have followed riders for miles and the brakes are on just about the whole time, I can even smell the hot brake pads following.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Templer

September 04, 2016, 03:46:19 PM #40 Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 03:49:40 PM by Templer
Have used reverse going down a grade and having a brake failure WILL cause a blessed release in your under wear failure !!

BVHOG

Has anyone considered the increased cost of modifying these heads?  8 valves, 8 ports 8 springs, seals etc. Gonna cost a bunch more for sure.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

TorQuePimp

Quote from: BVHOG on September 05, 2016, 08:17:11 PM
Has anyone considered the increased cost of modifying these heads?  8 valves, 8 ports 8 springs, seals etc. Gonna cost a bunch more for sure.

Not sure every build will need springs but yeah....8 valves is going to be double the coin

SP33DY

September 06, 2016, 05:04:35 AM #43 Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 05:08:21 AM by SP33DY
QuoteHas anyone considered the increased cost of modifying these heads?  8 valves, 8 ports 8 springs, seals etc. Gonna cost a bunch more for sure.

Based on my experiences porting 4-valve automotive race heads, the valves, seats, guides, and springs aren't terribly expensive unless you use Titanium valves and Beryllium seats.

(Health warning, Beryllium is highly carcinogenic, and I am not recommending it, but I did use it back when "it seemed like a good idea" for seats for Titanium valves.) 

The valves and springs are tiny when compared to the hardware we used in typical Harley performance builds on the earlier engines.

The porting time isn't much more either, partly because the bowls are so small, and partly because the 4 valve heads I've worked on didn't need a lot of material to be removed to get good flow.  The automotive heads I worked on needed to be set up for mechanical injection with methanol fuel so welding and reshaping work at the port entry was an additional factor, but hopefully the new M-8 heads won't need a lot of attention in that area.

motolocopat

I'm guessing that a little cleanup of ports, matching of mating surfaces and a multi-angle valve job will go a long ways.
MotoLocoPat  2015 FLTRXS, 2013FLHX, 2010FXDF
2006 Ducati S2R1000, 2004 KTM950

SP33DY

September 07, 2016, 04:43:09 AM #45 Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 04:46:09 AM by SP33DY
QuoteI'm guessing that a little cleanup of ports, matching of mating surfaces and a multi-angle valve job will go a long ways.

That pretty much sums it up. The valve seat angles and the throat / min. csa are the tricky part.

1FSTRK

Anyone know the valve sizes, stem diameter, spring sizes,etc?
In the pictures they look like the 7mm stem sportster valves and springs.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Durwood

Quote from: 1FSTRK on September 07, 2016, 04:16:28 PM
Intake valves are 39.8mm and Exhaust valves are 32mm.

Stem diameter and spring sizes I don't know.

1FSTRK

Quote from: Durwood on September 07, 2016, 06:46:11 PM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on September 07, 2016, 04:16:28 PM
Intake valves are 39.8mm and Exhaust valves are 32mm.

Stem diameter and spring sizes I don't know.

Thanks
Those are not as big as Vrod performance valves.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Don D

51 and 54% larger valve area respectively as compared to an oem TC head.