May 01, 2024, 08:10:54 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Milwaukee Eight Cylinder Heads

Started by SP33DY, August 26, 2016, 02:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP33DY

Today I tried to order a set of Milwaukee Eight Cylinder Heads at my local Harley shop. I want to get them on the flowbench and see what can be done with them. They took my order this morning and all was well...

They called this afternoon and told me I can have store credit or a refund. The heads are "protected" and they can't sell them to me!

What the @#$& is that all about?

rbabos

Quote from: SP33DY on August 26, 2016, 02:35:26 PM
Today I tried to order a set of Milwaukee Eight Cylinder Heads at my local Harley shop. I want to get them on the flowbench and see what can be done with them. They took my order this morning and all was well...

They called this afternoon and told me I can have store credit or a refund. The heads are "protected" and they can't sell them to me!

What the @#$& is that all about?
Looks like you need to buy the bike first to get the heads. :wink: Compensator same deal. They won't sell it.
Ron

04 SE Deuce

I'm thinking they'll be sell'n Screamin Beagle heads soon and you'll be able to pick up a set take-offs at a nice discount.

TorQuePimp

Looks like people might be doing some welding

masstch

Man, can you imagine the bidding war for the first set of take offs to hit eBay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rhetorical questions, who still does those?

masstch

The REAL question is: can they be retrofitted to my TwinCam??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rhetorical questions, who still does those?

Just Nick

August 27, 2016, 11:24:59 AM #6 Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 11:30:56 AM by Just Nick
Quote from: masstch on August 27, 2016, 10:24:16 AM

No Not at all no way

And the new compensator is also a protected part not for sale
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

CowboyTutt

That's my take away too.  Stick to TC stuff.  You can run even or easily surpass the M8 with current TC technology.  No need for this 4 valve stuff.  Regards,  -Tutt 

One4Tone

I hear some dealers are offering 20% off SE parts...might be a good time to hop up a twinke

glens

I'll guess that all "mate" engine parts will be for warranty replacement only with the originals returned for complete autopsy, for a good year or so.

Anybody look close at the paperwork on their shiny new '17 touring bike?  Maybe there's a "license agreement" that you'll not disassemble, poke, or prod under penalty of law :)

Don D

Nothing is impossible but consider the bolt pattern wrong, spigot bore wrong, cooling passages present, intake and electronics tbd, pushrod pockets wrong...
And on...

BVHOG

Quote from: HD Street Performance on August 28, 2016, 02:49:28 PM
Nothing is impossible but consider the bolt pattern wrong, spigot bore wrong, cooling passages present, intake and electronics tbd, pushrod pockets wrong...
And on...
How bout a two valve head for the new motor?
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

TorQuePimp

Quote from: BVHOG on August 28, 2016, 08:15:18 PM
And on...

If s@s were smart they would be doing just that

CowboyTutt

It seems like that would still require a lot of engineering to run two plugs, the knock sensors, accompanying rocker arms and water or oil cooling passages etc for no benefit compared to the 4 valve head?  I think just sending your original 4 valve heads for some improvements is all that is needed. 

If S&S found a way to make a "Super Stock" 4 valve head, that would be interesting. 

Lots of companies with great experience in modifying 4 valve heads who haven't so far done Harleys.  Might be a good time for them to jump in. 

Cheers,

-Tutt

rigidthumper

I'm bettin John Sachs has some ideas[emoji6]
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

No Cents

08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

Durwood

August 29, 2016, 08:31:58 PM #16 Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 08:42:15 PM by Durwood
 I think these new heads have a ton of potential, and in time will shine.

Templer

Was there not a 4 valve head awhile back that fitted to a EVO? Fueling,Quantum,Rivera I think. What happened to those and could the ideas from the M-8 be used/based on those? I have been told of Evos with TC top end, so why not TC Hemi heads? Same design on the rockers but maybe not Euro 4/Ca legal. WHO would care? Are not the 4 valve design best at rpms better then 5500? What would a EVO/Hemi 4 motor do to the M-8 114 side by side??? :scratch: V-Rod ver stock M-8 114  :oops:

TorQuePimp

Wait till you get a set in your hands

Matt C

And on...

Why would you want to do that?

rbabos

Quote from: MCE on August 30, 2016, 08:06:45 AM
And on...

Why would you want to do that?
Wondering the same. :scratch: Give them something better and they want to fk it all up and go backwards. :hyst:
Ron

Matt C

Quote from: rigidthumper on August 29, 2016, 06:48:25 PM
I'm bettin John Sachs has some ideas[emoji6]

4 valve heads are nothing new, Honda (and others) have been using them for quite a while.
One of the differences is 'swirl', has become 'tumble'.

There are countless advantages to 4 valve over 2. More flow with less lift being a biggie. Lighter
components, better cylinder fill, ports are smaller (higher velocity) and on and on...

This will be a game-changer. Hopefully the motors will be able to hold up to these things...

rbabos

Bigbluff

Someone mentioned that variable valve timing won't be possible with this single cam...and that is true. But it wasn't possible with the TwinCam either, at least not in the way the two camshafts were implemented on the TC.

Each camshaft on the TC controlled both an intake and an exhaust valve on one cylinder each. I suppose the cam timing could be made variable between them, but to what end? Nothing to be gained by varying the timing between the two cylinders.

If the camshafts were to have been aranged so that one ran above the other in the crankcase, and then one camshaft (upper) controlled only the intake valves on both cylinders and the other camshaft (lower) controlled only the exhaust valves, on each cylinder, then an arrangement of the chain linking them could have been made with an actuator to vary the timing between those two camshafts. But I suspect that engine height would become a problem in that configuration.

Fun to think about though!
In all that time he was riding through the desert he could have named that horse

jsachs1

Not a lot of magic in a 4-valve head in a low rpm motor.
We make more power with the pro-mod bikes using 2 valves.
I did some Victory 4 valve OHC heads, with S&S parts. They did ok, about on a par with their 2 valvers. I have some dyno sheets I can post, if I can find them.
Just moved to central Florida after 32+ years in south Florida.
John