May 09, 2024, 12:04:02 AM

News:

Upgrade or trade

Started by speed limit, September 01, 2016, 12:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speed limit

Although her 04 1200C with stage 1 kit fits her well my wife is in need or more power and a appearance upgrade we didn't care for the color when we brought it but hey the deal was right, add that to the fact she is a power junkie, we were thinking of a V rod for her but with all its power upstairs and its lazy handling I'm thinking she may enjoy hot rodded Sporty more, lets say a 1250 kit with a good set of heads n6 cams and a mikuni 42 with cycle shacks, should give a V rod a run for the money not to mention the metrics.
If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.

Panzer

Speed,
JMO mind you, but I think the upgrade will suit her well and a good winter project too.
My son has a V-Rod and we sat side by side one day on a running start and I pulled in front of him for about 100 yards and he was gaining to the point of passing.
Don't get me wrong, V-Rod's are no slouches by any means.
I'm running an 07' 1200 custom sporty (all stock) he had the CC's above me, which his bike proved it.
I think with the upgrade you suggest you will match a V-Rod, maybe better.
Again, just my opinion.

Panz
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

rigidthumper

If she really wants more, break out the checkbook and talk to one of the vendors here- we have a good selection of builders for her engine. My favorite is an 88" kit, made my 04  a lot of fun. You can go 1250 without case boring, or 88-90" (or more) with case split/spigot bore.
Here's my 04 XL883 with an Axtell 88" kit, NRHS head porting, SuperTrapp 2-1, and SE AC with HQ0043 cams. (This was the street combo)
[smg id=2849]
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

tommy g

Rigid, that looks like a VERY fun ride, my goodness,,,,
09 FLSTC
85 FXEF

speed limit

Quote from: rigidthumper on September 02, 2016, 08:44:30 AM
If she really wants more, break out the checkbook and talk to one of the vendors here- we have a good selection of builders for her engine. My favorite is an 88" kit, made my 04  a lot of fun. You can go 1250 without case boring, or 88-90" (or more) with case split/spigot bore.
Here's my 04 XL883 with an Axtell 88" kit, NRHS head porting, SuperTrapp 2-1, and SE AC with HQ0043 cams. (This was the street combo)   What other mods have you done to support the 88" clutch,tranny?
[smg id=2849]

rigidthumper

Stock tranny held well for a lot of passes, Barnet extra plate kit with their heavy duty spring.  Made 103TQ/114HP with RS643 cams and no other changes.

westcomb

Buddy had a sporty with a zippers super hammer kit (still a 1200)......... that bike went 12:00 in street trim it made 103HP 98 TQ.......... with a few changes it went 11:20's 116HP 109TQ ( 1250 kit more head work and bigger cams!)

Be tuff to have a street bike run with a low 11 sec bike! ......... pretty sure that would fit the bill!

I would take a hot rod XL over a V rod anyday!  :pop:

triumph900

triumph900

Quote from: westcomb on September 08, 2016, 08:27:12 AM
I would take a hot rod XL over a V rod anyday!  :pop:

Agreed, just for the handeling and ergos.

sfmichael

Quote from: rigidthumper on September 07, 2016, 08:22:28 PM
Stock tranny held well for a lot of passes, Barnet extra plate kit with their heavy duty spring.  Made 103TQ/114HP with RS643 cams and no other changes.

which way did you like it best?
Colorado Springs, CO.

Carl 1969

An 88" would be a very angry little beast. Got to ride a local dealer's 88" shop mule several years ago & yowza. Would just float the front tire up, rolling on the throttle in 3rd gear. 1st couple owners of that bike sold it after looping it. Not a ride for the inexperienced or faint of heart.
Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben
Sergeant First Class, US Army, Retired

rigidthumper

>100 TQ in an "883"  is a marvelous thing :)

Carl 1969

I'd love to do a digger-style rigid Sportster with an 88".

Never ridden one, but the S&S 89" stroker kit ought to be a lot of fun, as well.

Anyone ever go bigger than that? Don't know if anyone ever made pistons to run with the S&S stroker flywheels.
Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben
Sergeant First Class, US Army, Retired

rigidthumper

S&S offered a 100" sportster/early buell engine. Andy Simon will build you whatever size sportster you can afford :)

speed limit

Are the 1250 kits worth the bang for the buck?

speed limit

Ok guys the sporty is on the table and the heads are off, so the question is I want to go with a Hammer 1250 complete kit their heads,650cams but my wrench has never heard of them and want`s to use Branch heads and Andrews n6 cams. which combo do you guys think will make a better hot rod?

rigidthumper

Of the two, Hammer gets my vote, and I've run both flavors. Before you spend the coin, look at HeadQuarters stuff. Doug Coffey does excellent work, and gives you an other option.

72fl

I am going with Andrews N6 Cams, Andrews 550 springs,Andrews Adjustable push rods,Wiseco K1685 Pistons, Kibblewhite Intake 1.71 and Exhaust Valves 1.48, Hooker 2 into 1 Header,
Custom Head Work,manual compression releases, still need to figure air cleaner and ignition system thinking Dyna on ignition any suggestions on Ignition and Air Cleaner/Filter opinions ?

rigidthumper

I used/prefer the Daytona Twin Tech ignition products, and have had good luck with the "heavy breather" style of air cleaners.

speed limit

I went with complete crush package from Hammer performance with S&S slash slip ons, compression will be 10.8 do you guys think manual compression releases will be needed ?

Hossamania

I would put them in while the heads are off. Rather have them and not need them, than need them and not have them. They can be plugged if you don't need them. But you are going to be pissed if hot starts become an issue and you don't have them.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

72fl

I'm with Hoss put em in, they are not very much to purchase and I'll tell ya the sound of a starter kickin back sounds like hell. I'm putting them in mine and i"m sure there will be times that I'll go to start it and forget to push the release's but I'll sure know right quick like. :kick:

CW#

Quote from: speed limit on September 01, 2016, 12:33:48 PM
Although her 04 1200C with stage 1 kit fits her well my wife is in need or more power and a appearance upgrade we didn't care for the color when we brought it but hey the deal was right, add that to the fact she is a power junkie, we were thinking of a V rod for her but with all its power upstairs and its lazy handling I'm thinking she may enjoy hot rodded Sporty more, lets say a 1250 kit with a good set of heads n6 cams and a mikuni 42 with cycle shacks, should give a V rod a run for the money not to mention the metrics.

Victory Octane solves it all... or even an Indian Scout.
Whut Me Wurry?

speed limit

Quote from: CW# on December 15, 2016, 05:00:31 PM
Quote from: speed limit on September 01, 2016, 12:33:48 PM

Victory Octane solves it all... or even an Indian Scout...... Don`t believe the hype she has already beat several victorys at the track with just her screaming eagle stage 1 last time we were out she dialed in @ 12.4 and broke out

72fl

Put the big valves in, compression releases need to go on the pushrod side no room on plug side, will be a clean install. I will post a photo when done.