April 28, 2024, 02:18:31 AM

News:

7.....107'' mosquito killers

Started by 86fxwg, September 08, 2016, 05:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbabos

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on September 12, 2016, 07:19:18 AM
Had the chance to test ride the 114 version.. Salesman start's the bike up and its running on one cylinder.. big cloud of blue smoke smoke in the show room blows into the show room ( front doors are open) !!!  :wtf:  i am thinking  I say nothing just look at the sales guy. He revs the "Potty mouth" out of it a few times and smiles and says here you go.. I said" it does not sound right "  another smile he says thats how the new ones sound.. I tell him no thanks not looking to walk back today.. I am trying not to laugh out load as I stroll away.  No way would I have ridden it . it would barley run  :dgust:

BTW before I left some one did in fact take it out for a ride. No idea if he made it back I was  there at least another 30 minutes and did not see it pull back up .  :nix:

But I did get a new sticker for my truck if that matters . :)
I take it that's a twin cooled bike, not oil cooled? If so, oil leakdown must be happening not from the oil cooled galley but from somewhere else. As for how it runs, well you being a tuner you are too fussy. :hyst: Most tolerate it and think it's normal because the sales guy says so. Yes I know, sad situation. That smoking deal reminds me of my old Ford Falcon with bad valve seals.
Ron

Tattoo

we just had a customer come in for a service on his 2017 FLHX and we looked for smoke and this one seems fine. we will be keeping an eye on everyone for sure.
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

SixShooter14

Quote from: jbexeter on September 12, 2016, 08:42:22 AM
Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on September 12, 2016, 07:19:18 AM
Had the chance to test ride the 114 version.. Salesman start's the bike up and its running on one cylinder.. big cloud of blue smoke smoke in the show room blows into the show room ( front doors are open) !!!  :wtf: 

See, I'm just some guy on the internet who has been swinging his leg over HD since the shovel days, more miles than some, less miles than some...

When you get people who live and breathe AND work commercially with big twins every day of their lives, and when those people can have / express that reaction.

As the saying goes, there is something seriously wrong in the state of denmark, even if it is only that alien body snatchers have replaced all the mechanics and sales droids in that dealership to allow that particular bike into the showroom.
and then allow a customer to ride off on it on a test ride  :wtf:
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Tattoo

so here is the deal ,I fired 6 brand new 2017 (6 miles on them) bikes up on the floor and did see some white/gray smoke for a brief second. then I fired up our demo with some miles on it and saw no smoke. I have a 2017 touring in for a service and it sat over night and when we fired it up it had no smoke at all.

SixShooter14

Quote from: Tattoo on September 12, 2016, 11:49:28 AM
so here is the deal ,I fired 6 brand new 2017 (6 miles on them) bikes up on the floor and did see some white/gray smoke for a brief second. then I fired up our demo with some miles on it and saw no smoke. I have a 2017 touring in for a service and it sat over night and when we fired it up it had no smoke at all.
Will the low mile ones get test ridden?

I'm not all that surprised to see A little smoke for the first few miles. Especially if the bikes have never really gotten hot. They don't break them in at the factory, do they?
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Nastytls

Quote from: Tattoo on September 12, 2016, 11:49:28 AM

What you're describing is not like what is in that video or what GMR described. You must have gotten Tuesday/Wednesday bikes and they got Monday morning or Friday afternoon bikes. :wink:

HV

Im with Tattoo on this one ...just not seeing it ....not saying its not happening ( After all its on HTT Has to be True ! ) ....But just not seeing it or hearing about it from any other techs I talk to  :nix:
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

les

I've seen it with my own eyes. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

les

Have you guys been to York during the open house?   They run the bikes on a dump before they leave the factory.  I don't think it's because it's a new build. 

les

Dyno.   Darn spell checker. 

Tattoo

September 13, 2016, 03:13:18 AM #60 Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 07:04:13 AM by Tattoo
Quote from: HV on September 12, 2016, 03:47:47 PM
Im with Tattoo on this one ...just not seeing it ....not saying its not happening ( After all its on HTT Has to be True ! ) ....But just not seeing it or hearing about it from any other techs I talk to  :nix:

if I see or hear anything on my end you guys will be the first to know . I just have to be careful not to get caught up in hating the MOCO,Dealers, Dealer Techs, factory parts,sales people, oh and Harley -Davidson motorcycles.  Hell Im still waiting for all those "poorly designed" 110"/117" bolt on kits to fail that i read about on the internet.  :wink:

les

Quote from: Tattoo on September 13, 2016, 03:13:18 AM
Quote from: HV on September 12, 2016, 03:47:47 PM

if I see or hear anything on my end you guys will be the first to know . I just have to be careful not to get caught up in hating the MOCO,Dealers, Dealer Techs, factory parts, oh and Harley -Davidson motorcycles.  Hell Im still waiting for all those "poorly designed" 110"/117" bolt on kits to fail that i read about on the internet.  :wink:

I don't hate any of those things.  It might be something as simple as what happened with the early 2005 engines.  But it was very odd that when the sales guy started the bike in the dealership, he not only ignored the plume of blue smoke, he mumbled something about "it's new and still burning gas".  There needs to be an honest technical diagnoses and a make-right.

banjoman2255

I've also witnessed it.  Two different bikes at two dealerships in Mississippi.  I only noticed it when the dealers revved them when cold.

Deye76

"Hell Im still waiting for all those "poorly designed" 110"/117" bolt on kits to fail that i read about on the internet.  :wink:"

Amen. 3 friends with 117" drop ins and one with 110" drop in. Running great.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Tattoo

Quote from: Deye76 on September 13, 2016, 06:08:13 AM
"Hell Im still waiting for all those "poorly designed" 110"/117" bolt on kits to fail that i read about on the internet.  :wink:"

Amen. 3 friends with 117" drop ins and one with 110" drop in. Running great.

we have over 80 sets out with only one leaky base o-ring after 11,000 miles.

rigidthumper

Quote from: banjoman2255 on September 13, 2016, 05:57:42 AM
I've also witnessed it.  Two different bikes at two dealerships in Mississippi.  I only noticed it when the dealers revved them when cold.
I wish they would stop doing that! It's hard on components.
Revving a cold motor that's requesting ~10.5:1 AFR ( Stock AFR table + warm up enrichment+accelerator enrichment) WILL result in some blackish smoke!
Unseated rings will pass some oil! Break em in and see how they do.
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

Tattoo

Quote from: rigidthumper on September 13, 2016, 06:21:00 AM
Revving a cold motor that's requesting ~10.5:1 AFR ( Stock AFR table + warm up enrichment+accelerator enrichment) WILL result in some blackish smoke!
:agree: as I stated already the 2017's that we have out with miles on them run perfect with NO smoke what's so ever during start up.

rbabos

Quote from: rigidthumper on September 13, 2016, 06:21:00 AM
While I can't disagree with what you said, it doesn't explain the smoke in some. Those sales clowns have been doing that on all versions of HD engines with no similar complaints of smoking. Don't explain oil puddling on the piston tops of the real smokers either. That's not rings.
Ron

06roadglide

Where and how are the heads vented now?  I hear they aren't thru the air cleaner.  I assume they're still into the intake somehow to burn it.  Could they possibly be vent oil/condensation pudding into intake on start up?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Tattoo

Quote from: 06roadglide on September 13, 2016, 07:37:10 AM
Where and how are the heads vented now?  I hear they aren't thru the air cleaner.  I assume they're still into the intake somehow to burn it.  Could they possibly be vent oil/condensation pudding into intake on start up?

they vent from the heads to the back of the air cleaner.

06roadglide

Quote from: Tattoo on September 13, 2016, 07:56:27 AM
Quote from: 06roadglide on September 13, 2016, 07:37:10 AM

they vent from the heads to the back of the air cleaner.

Thanks for the pic if how they routed vents.
  That eliminates my thoughts on how the oil could be getting there besides valve seals, coolant

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

bxbutch

I  was in a local dealer today where my friends work & they told me 7 out of 10 smoked on start-up Butch

jpooch00

Man!  I'm lovin' my '15 Limited even more than before - and I wouldn't have believed that was possible, till I started seeing posts about the defects in these new motors.   :SM:

Wonder if this is gonna turn out to be yet another epic miss for the Almighty MoCo?  :scratch:

hattitude

Quote from: jpooch00 on September 14, 2016, 04:56:52 AM
Man!  I'm lovin' my '15 Limited even more than before - and I wouldn't have believed that was possible, till I started seeing posts about the defects in these new motors.   :SM:

Wonder if this is gonna turn out to be yet another epic miss for the Almighty MoCo?  :scratch:

Funny.... about this time in 2013, people were saying the same thing about their '12s & '13s when the new '14 Rushmores started puking coolant....

The MoCo got a handle on that pretty quick, haven't had any issues with your '15 in that area I'd bet...

While the MoCo hasn't pleased everybody (almost impossible really) with their improvements over the years, I'm not aware of an "epic miss" .......?

:nix:

06roadglide

I'd have a 17 model right now if it was in the cards. Not a bit scared of the Moco not sorting out any issues. If any.

Not really sure if I'd have the new road glide tho. The new fairing just looks odd to me. Don't like the dash or the head light look