May 03, 2024, 07:16:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Street cannons on m8

Started by jazdad2007, September 20, 2016, 05:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jazdad2007

Has anyone installed street cannons on a m8?  If so any performance gains? Acceptable noise level for touring? cost?

04efidynasuperglide

got them on my RGSM8 as part of stage one kit, bike runs good, pipes are not noisy

chieffie

stogieluvr60

Quote from: jazdad2007 on September 20, 2016, 05:37:15 PM
Has anyone installed street cannons on a m8?  If so any performance gains? Acceptable noise level for touring? cost?
I heard them on a HO 103 twinkie with stock header (cat) and air box and personally thought he should have saved his money. Not a fan of them is what I'm saying...too close to stock...way too close. They are a part of a factory made, EPA approved exhaust system right? (80 db) Much better choices out there that will support a performance build and not make you deaf...Crusher Mellows for instance?

Rokinrider

Vance&Hines has M8 exhaust on they're web site$ They look good, will ship in November. I'm going to leave the new RG stock and see what comes out this winter!
Mclintock! swell party were the whiskey?

Tommy D

September 20, 2016, 08:58:36 PM #4 Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 09:01:18 PM by Tommy D
Quote from: stogieluvr60 on September 20, 2016, 06:07:40 PM
I heard them on a HO 103 twinkie with stock header (cat) and air box and personally thought he should have saved his money. Not a fan of them is what I'm saying...too close to stock...way too close. They are a part of a factory made, EPA approved exhaust system right? (80 db) Much better choices out there that will support a performance build and not make you deaf...Crusher Mellows for instance?

The MKE 8 Street Cannons are a totally different muffler than than a Twin Cam Street Cannon>(can size & baffling) MKE 8 Street Cannon is the only game in town for now... personally I think they have a good tone to them.. Steve @ GMR tuned a few of the Twin Cam 4" Street Cannons & said they performed quiet well on the drum.
Acts 4:12

HD/Wrench

Yes they do work very well.. I have not tuned the new 8 yet but have several set up for when I get back from vacation ..  S&S also has new mufflers for it as well . 

rich1

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on September 21, 2016, 04:18:17 AM
Yes they do work very well.. I have not tuned the new 8 yet but have several set up for when I get back from vacation ..  S&S also has new mufflers for it as well .

Thanks for posting. I may be in the minority. But I am glad to know there is a good performing muffler that isn't really loud.

Masterblaster

I got them, like them, 1200 miles so far, little more tone not too loud though, which is good with me.

stogieluvr60

Quote from: Tommy D on September 20, 2016, 08:58:36 PM
Quote from: stogieluvr60 on September 20, 2016, 06:07:40 PM

The MKE 8 Street Cannons are a totally different muffler than than a Twin Cam Street Cannon>(can size & baffling) MKE 8 Street Cannon is the only game in town for now... personally I think they have a good tone to them.. Steve @ GMR tuned a few of the Twin Cam 4" Street Cannons & said they performed quiet well on the drum.
Copy that!  :up:

stogieluvr60

Quote from: rich1 on September 21, 2016, 04:37:18 AM

Thanks for posting. I may be in the minority. But I am glad to know there is a good performing muffler that isn't really loud.
Different strokes for different folks I guess...I like a nice rumble at cruise and good bark at WOT...maybe when I get a little older (I'm only 56) I might need it otherwise but for now anyway, that's what I prefer. There is an ever growing number of mufflers out there that are going really deep in tone but a little less on the WOT side of things...Cobra Race Pro's, S&S MK 45's, Bassani DNT's come to mind...my buddy has the Race Pro's on a 16 SG and I could live with them...especially on my motor...it flows a bit more air than a 103 HO...bet they would sound good....Crusher Mellows perform well, as apparently do the Street Cannons...just too tame to my ear...

HD/Wrench

Well I will be working on a build 110 drop our 577 cam ported heads and as close to stock sound as I can get. Going to be the touring bike  8 hours of noise is not for me .  so to add another old saying  " what ever blows your dress up "   :hyst:

Tommy D

September 29, 2016, 08:00:38 AM #11 Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 08:04:39 AM by Tommy D
Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on September 29, 2016, 06:32:52 AM
Well I will be working on a build 110 drop our 577 cam ported heads and as close to stock sound as I can get. Going to be the touring bike  8 hours of noise is not for me .  so to add another old saying  " what ever blows your dress up "   :hyst:

:up:
Btw, I'll put the suit of armor on Re: the "cat' issue here...."Pre MKE 8"
I still think this system maybe a wolf in sheeps clothing  :unsure:
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/screamin-eagle-high-flow-exhaust-system-street-cannons-chrome

Jako1

I just opened up my stock baffles
Too lazy to install NEW mufflers  :doh:
Nuff Said," Were Burnin Daylight, Lets Ride", {Sober 29 years}And Proud

WhipLash96

Quote from: stogieluvr60 on September 28, 2016, 05:02:51 PM
Quote from: rich1 on September 21, 2016, 04:37:18 AM

Different strokes for different folks I guess...I like a nice rumble at cruise and good bark at WOT...maybe when I get a little older (I'm only 56) I might need it otherwise but for now anyway, that's what I prefer. There is an ever growing number of mufflers out there that are going really deep in tone but a little less on the WOT side of things...Cobra Race Pro's, S&S MK 45's, Bassani DNT's come to mind...my buddy has the Race Pro's on a 16 SG and I could live with them...especially on my motor...it flows a bit more air than a 103 HO...bet they would sound good....Crusher Mellows perform well, as apparently do the Street Cannons...just too tame to my ear...
I am running the Basanni DNT'S. They are kick ass and are pretty loud when you get on them. [emoji1]

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thanks,
Whip

steveg56

Where did you buy them from?  Direct?

DeneFLHR

My good friend dropped by with his new '17 Limited. He got the Stage 1 installed before delivery, which included the Cannons, (of course he is running the cat). I don't know what stock cans sound like at idle but hos has a very little rumble when sitting there but when he went through three gears going up my street it sounded perfect to me.
One of the best sounding bikes yet.....next to mine ha ha.
2019 FLTRX "Fin"

Sunny Jim

Has anyone attempted to de-cat the header? I pulled the trigger on a new roadglide this morning.

Tommy D

Quote from: Sunny Jim on November 02, 2016, 05:36:32 AM
Has anyone attempted to de-cat the header? I pulled the trigger on a new roadglide this morning.

IMO, I'd check with Jamie @ Fuel Moto or Steve @ FullSac to see about that...They both do a great job with their R&D

stogieluvr60

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on September 29, 2016, 06:32:52 AM
I'm sure the results will be just what many are looking for...looking forward to seeing this when it hits the street...

Sunny Jim

I installed street canons  yesterday. They were provided as the only  alternative slip on available in the deal.
I hope they improve in Sound quality. Right now they sound like a fart in a can.
Not my style , sadly.

stogieluvr60

Quote from: Sunny Jim on November 19, 2016, 03:38:41 AM
I installed street canons  yesterday. They were provided as the only  alternative slip on available in the deal.
I hope they improve in Sound quality. Right now they sound like a fart in a can.
Not my style , sadly.
It seems the "completely different" street cannons aren't that different after all....not my style either but if they tune well, I'm sure they'll gain a following. Rule of thumb...if it says 80db on the effin' can...you can bet, that's what it will be...all OEM before them I mean. I'd wait too if it were me...but I'm not buying the first year of anybody's anything...history is useful...

rjjj629

A fiend of mine put street cannons on his the day he bought it.  (He's got a '17 RGS).    It didn't sound like much of an improvement over stock that first week or so, but it has really opened up lately.  Looks like once you put 1000 miles or more on it they start to deepen noticeably.

I still prefer the sound of rhineharts but the street cannons aren't bad.

DRod

i actually like the street cannons on the new bike.  I believe they are larger now (4 1/2 vs 4" diameter)  they don't sound much on idle, which is not necessarily a bad thing coming from a very loud breakout with full cobra exhaust.  The SE cannons sound deep and have a nice sound when you're on it.  I'll see if they do get louder over time.  It could honestly be just a tad bit louder. 

saafrican

Hi Guys
For me cutting the end cap and removing the all the fiberglass packing made the bike to loud
I looked at SE 4" Big Cannons  they are straight through
inside with no restrictions , But still have silencing fiberglass to muffel the noice .
Instead of cutting and gutting the standard pipes .
I bought a 42mm hole saw from ACE hardware .
and drilled out just the the end cap baffle .
So for $19.95  Ive got straight through pipes .just like SE Cannon pipes

Try this mod guys . its cheap   and cost effective .
If you want more noise , yea cut the end cap and pull the DG packing .
Im sure you will loose the Harley warranty, with such radical modifications .
By cutting out the tail baffle  Harley can't void the warranty ,cause it is exactly the same
inside as the SE big Cannons   just $550 cheaper

Im very happy with the freer breaking tail pipe .
I also installed a SE stage one  Air Cleaner
and SE refresh of the ECU
NOW the M8 is nice , VERY nice

PoorUB

Quote from: saafrican on December 08, 2016, 07:18:17 PM
By cutting out the tail baffle  Harley can't void the warranty ,cause it is exactly the same
inside as the SE big Cannons   just $550 cheaper

You want to bet on that? You have taken an EPA approved part and modified it. It makes no difference if it is similar to some other EPA approved muffler. The part meets EPA in it's original configuration, modify it and  it no longer meets EPA, or HD's letter of the law. If the dealer wanted to be tough on warranty, you just gave him reason to void yours.
HD's warranty covers only EPA approved parts, kits and tuners that HD makes, all other mods void your warranty. That was the ruling this summer Your relationship with the dealer may affect how he responds to warranty issues with your ride.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!