April 26, 2024, 10:54:14 PM

News:

What pipes will fit a FXR?

Started by 1340evo, September 21, 2016, 01:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

Well.. it's a FXLR actually but 1340 Evo all the same.
Am I right in assuming anything that will fit an Evo engine will fit?
Granted the FXR is a rubber mounted engine and I'd need to fab a bracket from the engine / box to hold up the rear pipe.. but I guess that's all the std set up is anyway?
I like the look of the Vance & Hines Straightshots... they did make them once for the FXR but they don't appear to be around now... so would some for another model fit??

Burnout

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"

hbkeith

The FXR front pipe has a bend in it for the mid controls

1340evo

Thanks Guys... don't want 2 into 1... and I have forward controls... so will the others fit??... :)

turboprop

FXLR you say? Forward controls? Don't want a 2-1?  Hmmm.

You should probably sell that FXLR and buy a softail. For many reasons.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

DresserDan

Do you have forward or mid controls? I have Samson shorties? with mid control.

1340evo

September 22, 2016, 01:52:03 AM #6 Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 01:57:49 AM by 1340evo
Quote from: turboprop on September 21, 2016, 03:56:06 PM
FXLR you say? Forward controls? Don't want a 2-1?  Hmmm.

You should probably sell that FXLR and buy a softail. For many reasons.

Yes.. its a right mixed bag... and I'm sure true FXR fans would think its Sacrilege.. But I love it.. each to their own... I'd post a pic if I could to really upset you LOL.....

Thanks on the other options.. which ones dod you fit?... some look to have a slight flare in the pipes ... Cheers....

Piston Broke

Um, I'd say you need a really long, straight through, Pan-era look-alike fish tail, and 14" over ape hangers ... and then it will look just like a customized Softail.  :dgust:

Is "performance" part of the equation, or just looks/noise?

The Supertrapp was always the 'go to' exhaust for performance. The standard cross over isn't bad/is a prerequisite for good performance (I'd say you really want to keep somekind of cross over or collector), so stock headers with SE slip-ons isn't a bad compromise. You can find V&H tail pipes etc that will do much the same.

Short duals with no baffle suck in all departments except noise and looks, IMHO, *if* you like that look. I, personally, don't like have the end of the tailpipes right under my ass/nose/ears. So same goes for what I think are the worst pipes in the world (those curvey ones that end up right by the cam cover and actually amplify the bike's noise back to you!).

With not much work you can fit typical staggered shortie duals off a Dyna if that is what you are after. Perhaps it would help if you were able to define what it was you were after?

Keep an eye on Ebay, buy whatever is the cheapest and spend the rest of your cash on gas. You'll often find a scuffed set of V&Hs you can take the chrome covers off and wrap with asbestos tape instead.

1340evo

September 22, 2016, 07:30:58 AM #8 Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:37:44 AM by 1340evo
'I like the look of the Vance & Hines Straightshots'. or something like the std pipes... So Dyna systems will fit then?.. thats interesting... what age are we talking?... and up to what year?... just the Evo ones I assume (not sure what window that gives)

so will these fit do you think (obviously with a brackett mod and forward controls http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vance-Hines-Straightshots-Original-Exhaust-1991-2005-Harley-Dyna-16805-/181689565772?fits=Model%3ADyna&hash=item2a4d8ac24c:g:cnwAAOSwv0tVAsjB

farmall

September 22, 2016, 08:43:16 AM #9 Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:53:23 AM by farmall
The stock pipes with crossover breathe the best of classic-style pipes but stock Dyna front crossover pipes lack the upward jog the FXR front pipe takes at the back end of the pipe for ground clearance. I installed stock Dyna pipes to check but when I saw how low they place the muffler I took them off. (Dyna differences were the front pipe and the shroud covering the "upward jog" area on that pipe.)

Ebay pic (not mine) showing the FXR-specific front pipe: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIPE-Exhaust-Y-Front-Dual-Head-Chrome-HARLEY-Fits-FXR-EVO-Evolution-Engine-Y2-/232082539319?hash=item3609328337:g:ekEAAOSwzaJX2ZF7&vxp=mtr

You may have to reduce jet size when you downgrade your stock exhaust. I had to downjet long ago when I sampled drag pipes. They svcked so I gave them away and returned to stock until recently when I bought a Thunderheader and a Road Rage for giggles. Thunderheader mount is so bad I replaced it before running the engine. Road Rage fits and works very well. Neither sound like a traditional Harley.

so will these fit do you think (obviously with a brackett mod and forward controls http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vance-Hines-Straightshots-Original-Exhaust-1991-2005-Harley-Dyna-16805-/181689565772?fits=Model%3ADyna&hash=item2a4d8ac24c:g:cnwAAOSwv0tVAsjB
I had either Short Shots or clones (cannot see any Vance and Hines markings) on my FXLR with some badly modiified rear bracket. They cleared forwards and the bends look like the set in your pic.
They were annoyingly loud and I promptly removed them. I see no problem with the rear bracket in the advert.

1340evo

So bottom line is you think they will fit?... I may give some a go a sthey do come up quite often....

hbkeith

if your wanting make something work , I don't think you are limited to just evo pipes , I'm running a 2into1 off a TC on my EVO , no mods were needed

1340evo

well... I've got a set coming... so we will find out :)   I'll post some pics as and when they are done (or not as the case may be)... Make the FXR purists  :sick:   LOL

Burnout

If I am not mistaken there are some softail pipes that fit an FXR as well.
They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm "hard headed"