April 27, 2024, 02:07:49 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Blowing my cigarette lighter fuse

Started by tdgriff, September 21, 2016, 02:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdgriff

Well I blow the fuse all the time it  knocks out my taillight and my gauges . I use the lighter and that's it . I can't figure it out at all .  Any advice would be nice thank you in advance

UltraNutZ

Checked the obvious stuff tdgriff such as wiring in the fairing for something that might be rubbed through?  Maybe just a bad cig lighter receptacle.   Overloading cig lighter circuit?
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

moose

They are cheep enough just replace it with a new one

after you blew it did you wipe your lips   :idunno:
Moose aka Glenn-

tdgriff

Quote from: moose on September 22, 2016, 04:10:09 AM
They are cheep enough just replace it with a new one

after you blew it did you wipe your lips   :idunno:
. Lol  indeed I did

tdgriff

Quote from: UltraNutZ on September 21, 2016, 02:18:49 PM
Checked the obvious stuff tdgriff such as wiring in the fairing for something that might be rubbed through?  Maybe just a bad cig lighter receptacle.   Overloading cig lighter circuit?
I checked all that , I installed a new cigarette lighter receptacle and lighter . I just can't figure it out. I am thinking of running it straight  to the battery?

moscooter

:pop:
I'd recommend an in line fuse if you go straight to the battery. :potstir:

moose

check do you have the right size fuse   if you have a 15 try going up to 20 see what happens then
Moose aka Glenn-

tdgriff

Quote from: moose on September 22, 2016, 05:02:18 PM
check do you have the right size fuse   if you have a 15 try going up to 20 see what happens then
i did go to a 20 same thing . Thanks for the help.

tdgriff

Quote from: moscooter on September 22, 2016, 04:13:36 PM
:pop:
I'd recommend an in line fuse if you go straight to the battery. :potstir:
I have one in my garage was thinking the same thing. Thanks

Coyote

You need to fix your short problem, not wire it to the battery.  The obvious first thing to do is just replace the lighter socket with a new one. I know others that had these go bad.  One guy even had a small metal bit in the socket that would move around and occasionally short and blow the fuse.

Added, you can get these sockets almost anywhere, not just HD

Pirsch Fire Wagon

Quote from: Coyote on September 22, 2016, 06:17:54 PM
You need to fix your short problem, not wire it to the battery.  The obvious first thing to do is just replace the lighter socket with a new one. I know others that had these go bad.  One guy even had a small metal bit in the socket that would move around and occasionally short and blow the fuse.

Added, you can get these sockets almost anywhere, not just HD

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/Smileys/classic/iagree.gif   +1

Find the Short. Wiring a Cigarette Lighter doesn't correct the issue.

The thing about electrical issues is they are opposite of Mechanical Issues.

Electrical = long time to diagnose, short time to repair.
Tom

Durwood

Be sure the lighter used matches the receptacle.

I was on a road trip and lost the HD lighter and stopped in an auto parts store to get one, plugged it in and popped the fuse.

I went and got one from an HD dealer and all is well.

tdgriff

Thank for the advice. This is my 2nd socket and lighter and the problem still  exists . I will have to do more digging.

Coyote

Keep in mind that you are dealing with the ACCY circuit ( O/W wire) and it goes to numerous things. The problem may have nothing to do with the cig socket.

tdgriff

Quote from: Coyote on September 23, 2016, 12:24:54 PM
Keep in mind that you are dealing with the ACCY circuit ( O/W wire) and it goes to numerous things. The problem may have nothing to do with the cig socket.
ok that makes  sense  . I  Will open up the fearing again and have a look . Thanks for all the feedback.

moose

You could do what one of the auto techs did on an older car use aluminum foil instead of a fuse

by the way
the car burned to the ground but the lighter worked
Moose aka Glenn-

tdgriff

:hyst:
Quote from: moose on September 24, 2016, 11:22:08 AM
You could do what one of the auto techs did on an older car use aluminum foil instead of a fuse

by the way
the car burned to the ground but the lighter worked
:hyst:

tdgriff

Well I took off outer faring and no bad wiring. So I took a chance and  switched the wires on the cigarette lighter. Maybe I hooked him up Ron when I change the inner fairing.  Not blowing fuses anymore

Hossamania

So hot was going to ground? That will cause an issue...  We like simple fixes, even self induced ones.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Coyote

Pretty sure you could hook the cig lighter socket up either way and not blow a fuse,, just using the lighter.  So did you just reverse the wires or actually check and make sure they were or are now correct?  The O/W should connect to the center pin and the ground to the shell.

I'd sure want to know. If you ever plug anything else in there and it's backwards, it may not work out so well if it's now wrong.

moscooter

:banghead:

This thread reminds me of when I was in my 20s and worked at a Chevy dealership "prepping" new cars for delivery.  We installed a lot of accessories like Power steering/power brakes/back up lits/ and lots of radios.

GM radios were all "negative" ground.  The wire to the radio was already there......whether you ordered a radio or not.  We would lay upside down under the dash and after removing the plate where the radio goes into the dash,  first we installed the speaker,  then we installed the radio and hooked it up and then also drilled a hole in the fender to install the antenna.

On one new Chevy,  the damn radio once installed would NOT play.  We took it out and tried it on the work bench with a spare battery and it worked just fine.

As it turned out,  we discovered that some "clown" at the factory...........swapped out the battery leads.  Consequentely,  the damn car was now "positive" ground and the radio would not work.   Car started OK,  but obviously the radio would not work.

So we swapped out the battery cables as they should have been all along and then zapped the voltage regulator with a jumper wire to re-phase the generator.   Can't recall what they called that procedure.  But all was well and the radio now worked as it should. :emoGroan:

tdgriff

Quote from: Coyote on October 09, 2016, 02:55:52 PM
Pretty sure you could hook the cig lighter socket up either way and not blow a fuse,, just using the lighter.  So did you just reverse the wires or actually check and make sure they were or are now correct?  The O/W should connect to the center pin and the ground to the shell.

I'd sure want to know. If you ever plug anything else in there and it's backwards, it may not work out so well if it's now wrong.
I checked all the wires all in good shape. After I switch the wires the lighter actually started to pop out on it's own when it got hot. I hope all is well took it out for a few hrs and had no problems. My phone charger works as well.