May 01, 2024, 03:35:56 PM

News:

The future of the M8

Started by les, September 29, 2016, 05:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

les

So, just for the record, I'm not overly concerned about the smoking engines.  It'll be fixed.  I really like the M8...a lot!

Anyway, will we see a M8 version of the 120R and 120ST?  Or will there be a bigger displacement crate engine?  Will folks be doing a lot of Timken conversions?  I wonder if the SE (JIMS) Timken conversion tool works on the M8 left side casing.

(Maybe all of this is in the 2017 SE catalog and I've just not taken the time to read through.)

Tattoo

Hey les when you get done reading the 2017 SE catalog can you let us know about all the typo's ?

:up: :up:
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"

les

Quote from: Tattoo on September 29, 2016, 05:57:48 AM
Hey les when you get done reading the 2017 SE catalog can you let us know about all the typo's ?

:up: :up:

LOL!  Of course!

HV

From what Ive seen so far the Public have embraced the M8 very well...sales of the new bikes are very good ......the Big Bore kits are showing some interest but with the debate as to the usefulness of the new SE Tuners that's definitely a hold back ...the few Stage 1 kits are working well but there is not much tuning needed to accomplish that  :bike: ....I can see a lot of PV units being used for anything more then a Stage 1 as for the Smoking ...its a non issue .....It may have been a few early VIN #s deal or a bad batch but looks like its very limited or just plain internet Hype  :hyst:
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Deye76

Every time a new engine is brought to market a few have to bash it before it's had time and miles to prove itself. Guess they think it makes them sound tough.  :nix:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

hd06

Future looks good for M8 I love the torque of mine.

BVHOG

The future of the M8?   Aftermarket is already busy, individual rocker adjustment, new cam grinds, more exhausts than anyone would ever need. Aluminum throttle bodies. Custom pistons etc. Pretty much everything that was done to the twincam but once again starting from scratch.
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

Piston Broke

October 01, 2016, 06:59:36 AM #7 Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 07:03:35 AM by Piston Broke
It looks like Harley's first "modern" Big Twin engine to me, which I'm not adverse to. Meaning that all covers and cases are starting to match up etc.

Are the mounting points, e.g. engine up front and swingarm back in the rear identical to older models?

I have not had a chance to look at the fiches to see if the frame is the same.

What have they done to the rear header ... tucked it in a little more?

How's ground clearance?

As an aisde, I was reading up on combustion chamber design and what I saw was that although 4 valve heads produced more power in the mid-range, where you'd want it on a tourer, at higher rpm, they actually lost out to 2 valves again.

Any opinions?

Jako1

IMO the TC is done
Once The MOCO redoes the Dyna chassis
I like my M8
My wife says NO more bikes  :koolaid:
Nuff Said," Were Burnin Daylight, Lets Ride", {Sober 29 years}And Proud

wfolarry

I think you'll be seeing 124's & more from the MOCO. The bigger stud pattern will allow for big bores. The 4 valves can feed them. Just a matter of time but a couple years from now big bore baggers will be the norm. JMO.

Rockout Rocker Products

I dunno. I've pondered the switch lately. Today I was sitting at a light, watching my left grip shake back & forth 1/2".... the urge for a M8 left me.

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Piston Broke

Quote from: wfolarry on October 01, 2016, 01:55:26 PMI think you'll be seeing 124's & more from the MOCO. The bigger stud pattern will allow for big bores. The 4 valves can feed them. Just a matter of time but a couple years from now big bore baggers will be the norm. JMO.
Is 2,000cc going to become the new norm, or will we just need that to keep them performing at 80/80 ... 100/100 with increasing emissions restrictions?

Do we need "more bigger" forever or is it going to plateau at some point?

PoorUB

Quote from: Jako1 on October 01, 2016, 01:09:52 PM
IMO the TC is done

Care to guess about the Evo or Shovel?

Of course the TC is done! HD would not have come out with the M8 if they were going to keep the TC around!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Jako1

Evo IMO was the better engine
I put lots of miles on 3 new ones
The best was the 92 FLHS
U know what happened to that bike
I had 58k trouble free miles on it when I sold it in 97 for a FLHT
Moved to a 88 TC  what a dog
I had shovels and a Pan
60 FL14001

ocezam

Quote from: Jako1 on October 02, 2016, 07:13:20 AM
Moved to a 88 TC  what a dog

Hilarious!  Thanks!

Yeah by 21st century standards the Shovel, Pan and even the Evo were incredible engines....  Please!

I like history.  I rarely want to ride it.

Deye76

"The best was the 92 FLHS"

Those were great machines. I had a 1988, 90,000 trouble free miles when it was stolen.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Tattoo

"Yeah by 21st century standards the Shovel, Pan and even the Evo were incredible engines....  Please!

I like history.  I rarely want to ride it."

I can't wait to ride them  :wink:

Jako1

Do it  do it     :chop:
I stopped in for a filter and look what followed me home on Labor Day  :emoGroan:

Tattoo

Quote from: Jako1 on October 03, 2016, 06:16:26 AM

Do it  do it     :chop:
I stopped in for a filter and look what followed me home on Labor Day  :emoGroan:

Oh I have rode several ,I was talking about the comment saying he rarely wanted to ride the old bikes.

TorQuePimp

Having ridden two of them

I think the "m" was for mistake

I hope s&s gets a 2 valve conversion quick

Eccool

Quote from: TorQuePimp on October 20, 2016, 03:09:26 AM

What didn't you like about them?  What is a two valve head supposed to fix?

rbabos

Interesting opposing opinions from knowledgeable members. :scratch:
Ron

hd06

There was talk before the M8 came out, What was Harley was going to do about compete with Victory and Indian. We have M8 that does the job I think its hard to except the new motor. EVO went through this as well Shovel. M8 here to stay.  :up: 

TorQuePimp

Quote from: Eccool on October 20, 2016, 04:49:27 AM
Quote from: TorQuePimp on October 20, 2016, 03:09:26 AM

What didn't you like about them?  What is a two valve head supposed to fix?

The rpm range our engines operate in is somewhat constricted to its basic design...that really has not changed

sticking a 4 valve head on top of a low tech twin isnt going to make it better....the opposite might be closer to the truth

Ill take a "we will see" attitude and when the heads start rolling in to be modified as always ill do what i do to the best of my ability.

Harley isnt alone in the market anymore and eventually i see people moving in another direction....or keeping what they have

Eccool

The vast overwhelming majority of ride reviews of the M8 that I have seen have been positive.  That includes reviews from magazines and websites that get to ride bikes from all of the manufacturers.  From what I have seen, they have all indicated the M8 is a step forward, specifically in the areas of smoothness and power. 

As far as the four valve head having more or less potential than the two valve head:  A)  That remains to be seen  B)  Probably 90% of riders are going to be satisfied with either a stage one or two.  What the head can or cannot do would be a moot point.  Harley's fortunes might change for the worse, but it won't be because of the M8.