May 03, 2024, 01:25:40 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Milwaukee 8 Big bore kit disassembly & installation

Started by Jamie Long, February 02, 2017, 11:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie Long

We are disassembling the motor on our 2017 Milwaukee Eight bike today in preparation of our big bore kit R&D. We will be installing big bore piston/cylinders and testing several custom bore sizes we had made. We will also be testing an assortment of cams, cylinder heads, and other assorted components. We have a load of parts here ready to be tested including injectors, throttle bodies, exhaust systems, clutches, etc.. so it is going to take some time to get thru everything.

Jamie Long

Ohio HD

Nice! I look forward to seeing what the results will be for the upgrades.    :up:

Jamie Long

Some assorted images of the M8 engine during disassembly. Motor has just under 2000 miles, and a good amount was on the dyno. I'm not too concerned with the carbon buildup considering we used this bike to develop all of our 107" calibrations so it spent more time than normal in an untuned state. I will say that this motor did not have great ring seal initially, as others have noted with their M8's ours puffed some blue smoke when it was new before the motor got up to temp, however after some miles the smoking disappeared so we were not concerned.

Jamie Long

joe_lyons

Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

NCTURBOS

Quote from: joe_lyons on February 02, 2017, 01:04:20 PM
What bore sizes are you guys playing with?

^^What he said...^^

Will 4.250" be one of them? Going to sign the line on my '17 R.G. tomorrow after work!   :smilep:

K.
-Boosted 95" B... 160.75-hp & 141.55-tq, 93-octane
-2017 FLTRXS... Stock

Jamie Long

Quote from: joe_lyons on February 02, 2017, 01:04:20 PM
What bore sizes are you guys playing with?

We'll be releasing info on the bore sizes we are testing once we get thru some of the initial testing.

Jamie Long

Milwaukee 8 injectors; note dual spray pattern and injectors are no longer identified by a colored band they now use a paint dot on the injector body. The red dot is a 5.5gm injector

rbabos

Quote from: Jamie Long on February 02, 2017, 01:16:55 PM
Milwaukee 8 injectors; note dual spray pattern and injectors are no longer identified by a colored band they now use a paint dot on the injector body. The red dot is a 5.5gm injector

Purdy O rings on those. Why are they so big and fat?
Ron

Jamie Long

New dual knock sensors & updated engine temp sensor on the 2017 Milwaukee 8 engine.

joe_lyons

Quote from: rbabos on February 02, 2017, 01:27:20 PM

Purdy O rings on those. Why are they so big and fat?
Ron
That's probably just how Bosch sells them
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

Tommy D

Jamie,

5.5 OE ?
What mm TB is the MoCo using ?
Acts 4:12

Jamie Long

Quote from: Tommy D on February 02, 2017, 05:49:38 PM

Jamie,

5.5 OE ?
What mm TB is the MoCo using ?

The factory injectors are 4.35gm and the throttle body is 55mm on both 107 & 114 M8 models

Jamie Long

Here are a few of the components we are installing. Fuel Moto big bore kit, Wood Performance M8 directional lifters, high lift valve springs, & Knight Prowler WM8-999 cams.

FSG

Directional lifters have only one flat that would go against the anti rotation pin in a TC, how are they going to be managed in an M8 which uses a guide similar to what's in a Sportster.

Does Wood Performance provide a replacement guide?

rbabos

Quote from: FSG on February 02, 2017, 11:17:07 PM
Directional lifters have only one flat that would go against the anti rotation pin in a TC, how are they going to be managed in an M8 which uses a guide similar to what's in a Sportster.

Is that a guide or the interference lifter holder?
Ron

FSG

That's the new Anti-Rotation Device that replaces the way they did it in the TC's.  These new devices have 2 flats for each lifter so I'm curious as to how anyones directional lifters are going to be fitted. 

I guess there's another Aftermarket Product for someone to make.

rbabos

Quote from: FSG on February 03, 2017, 12:04:37 PM
That's the new Anti-Rotation Device that replaces the way they did it in the TC's.  These new devices have 2 flats for each lifter so I'm curious as to how anyones directional lifters are going to be fitted. 

I guess there's another Aftermarket Product for someone to make.

Cool. I guess I should have looked at the breakdown before typing. I see what you are saying. The purpose of a directional lifter still evades me however.
Ron
Ron

BVHOG

If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

borno

Maybe O.T. , but those new rocker covers remind me of the old rock 'em sock 'em robots  :smile:

biglew55

Quote from: borno on February 04, 2017, 07:23:34 AM
Maybe O.T. , but those new rocker covers remind me of the old rock 'em sock 'em robots  :smile:

New contest.... First one to have a red one and a blue one on the same bike wins!!  :soda:
2020 FLHTK - 2018 BMW R1200 GSA - 1965 FLHFB
IBA #595

Durwood

Quote from: Jamie Long on February 02, 2017, 11:44:51 AM
More images of the disassembled M8 engine:

Were you able to use the stock push rod tubes with the FM Twin Cam push rods?

Jamie Long

Quote from: Durwood on February 04, 2017, 08:08:00 AM
Were you able to use the stock push rod tubes with the FM Twin Cam push rods?

Yes, same pushrods as Twin Cam with stock pushrod tubes

FSG

Quote from: FSG on February 02, 2017, 11:17:07 PM

Jamie  what's the deal with the Wood Performance M8 directional lifters?

Jamie Long

Quote from: FSG on February 06, 2017, 10:42:36 AM
[Jamie  what's the deal with the Wood Performance M8 directional lifters?

The lifters are designed so the oil hole aligns with the oil passage.

rbabos

I think FSG was meaning and what I was wondering too is how they accomplish the direction with the M8 anti rotation device or do they supply a one flat only retainer to replace the OEM part? As for lining up the hole, unless the galleys have changed from what the TC arrangement was, technically there is no need for feed hole alignment. :scratch:
Ron

Jamie Long

Quote from: rbabos on February 06, 2017, 03:36:30 PM
I think FSG was meaning and what I was wondering too is how they accomplish the direction with the M8 anti rotation device or do they supply a one flat only retainer to replace the OEM part? As for lining up the hole, unless the galleys have changed from what the TC arrangement was, technically there is no need for feed hole alignment. :scratch:
Ron

The Wood M8 lifters have 2 flats on them.

FSG

1FSTRK

Quote from: FSG on February 06, 2017, 10:32:59 PM
Quote from: Jamie Long on February 06, 2017, 04:16:21 PM

In that case they are not directional.

They say they are directional, a simple instruction sheet telling you which way the oil hole and logo need to face would cover correct installation.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

rbabos

Quote from: 1FSTRK on February 07, 2017, 03:42:16 AM

They say they are directional, a simple instruction sheet telling you which way the oil hole and logo need to face would cover correct installation.
In that case the M8 lifters would need to be directional also. Not sure that is the case, and if not, claiming directional maybe nothing more then hype. TC's were full circle oiling around the lifter and I suspect the M8 is the same. That would need to be verified to validate the need for a specific feed hole orientation and a specific install of the lifter.
Ron

1FSTRK

Quote from: rbabos on February 07, 2017, 04:43:30 AM

In that case the M8 lifters would need to be directional also. Not sure that is the case, and if not, claiming directional maybe nothing more then hype. TC's were full circle oiling around the lifter and I suspect the M8 is the same. That would need to be verified to validate the need for a specific feed hole orientation and a specific install of the lifter.
Ron

Not sure where this is all going.
One flat or two does not make a lifter directional.
Because HD went from guide pins to the Automotive style guides on the lifters simply adding the second flat to the directional twin cam lifter body that he already makes then printing a logo on it for identification would seem a simple fix. Also the mention of aligning the oil feed hole in the lifter with the feed hole in the lifter bore could be an additional way of assuring proper direction when installing instead of a mandate the holes need to be aligned for proper oiling to take place.

Ohio HD

My take on the meaning of directional is, they're intended to be installed in a specific orientation, not that they can't be installed differently.

di·rec·tion·al
diˈrekSH(ə)n(ə)l,dīˈrekSH(ə)n(ə)l/
adjective

adjective: directional

• 1. relating to or indicating the direction in which someone or something is situated, moving, or developing."directional signs wherever two paths joined"
  • 2. having a particular direction of motion, progression, or orientation."coiling the wire permits directional flow of the magnetic flux"

Jamie Long

^this^

les

Jamie, just want you to know that I'm impatiently checking this thread frequently.  Very interesting.  So, get your butt out there in the garage and send up more postings!

Oops...guess I should have used that foul language after your final posting.  Ignore what I wrote above.   :pop:

FSG

QuoteTC's were full circle oiling around the lifter and I suspect the M8 is the same.

M8s use the crappy -99C Lifter which are full circle oiling around the lifter.

So where do the exhaust lifter oil holes face on an M8?

trex

Quote from: Jamie Long on February 02, 2017, 11:41:56 AM
Some images with the rocker covers removed:

Never saw this mentioned before, the rocker shafts have a bolt through them now, no need for the Rocker Lockers on the M8

04efidynasuperglide

Jamie, I see marking of rocker shaft boss on one of heads,,  what to make of ?
chieffie

harley_cruiser

Quote from: trex on April 24, 2017, 10:48:19 AM

Never saw this mentioned before, the rocker shafts have a bolt through them now, no need for the Rocker Lockers on the M8
Nope,
subscribed.

FSG

Oh I've seen it before, so has at least one of the vendors providing lockers for the shafts (I forget which one) as I remember they claimed HD had made the change due to becoming aware of the shaft problem with the exposure of the locking product.

harley_cruiser

Quote from: FSG on April 24, 2017, 03:42:54 PM

Oh I've seen it before, so has at least one of the vendors providing lockers for the shafts (I forget which one) as I remember they claimed HD had made the change due to becoming aware of the shaft problem with the exposure of the locking product.
I don't believe it was one of the venders but a poster who said this. I really doubt HD designed a new motor just to...............
Sorry this is getting off topic.

FSG

Quote from: Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers on April 24, 2017, 04:07:15 PM
I don't believe it was one of the venders but a poster who said this. I really doubt HD designed a new motor just to...............

I don't believe it was one of the venders but a poster who said this.  so you've seen it or are aware if it?

It was a vendor and made the change is a little different to designed a new motor just to..

harley_cruiser

Quote from: FSG on April 24, 2017, 04:36:09 PM
Quote from: Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers on April 24, 2017, 04:07:15 PM

I don't believe it was one of the venders but a poster who said this.  so you've seen it or are aware if it?

It was a vendor and made the change is a little different to designed a new motor just to..
If it was a vendor, then no I have not seen that. It was not me.   

1FSTRK

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: 1FSTRK on April 24, 2017, 05:20:42 PM
Maybe this thread?
http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=93224.msg1080008#msg1080008

Yep, it was me that made the comment.... the facts speak for themselves.

I make no claims other than what was stated. I'll add that during the design/manufacturing of the M8 the MOCO had my Rockout inserts in their possession. Again, not making any claims, just stating facts.

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

harley_cruiser

If HD wanted to lock the shaft all they had to do was make the bolt fit the hole.
More likely for the change was so the rocker arm could be serviced/installed easier, especially with the two valves per rocker arm. I haven't studied the head, so don't know if the rocker arm bolts to the head or if there is a bottom plate that it bolts to. Either way it would be a pain to torque the plate or head down with the pre-load of the two valves/lifters, with the shaft encased in the tower, much easier just to pull the rocker arm down independently with bolt through it.
And we all know the MOCO is all about assembly line speed.
Sorry Jamie for the off topic, enjoying your tear down.

FSG

QuoteI'll add that during the design/manufacturing of the M8 the MOCO had my Rockout inserts in their possession.

And how is that known?

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: FSG on April 25, 2017, 02:03:45 AM
QuoteI'll add that during the design/manufacturing of the M8 the MOCO had my Rockout inserts in their possession.

And how is that known?

I would not make a statement concerning the MOCO on a public forum that I could not back up with proof.

Rockout Rocker Products

harley_cruiser

April 25, 2017, 09:35:25 AM #49 Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 10:12:24 AM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers
 I took a closer look, The towers are cast into the head, if they had left the caps on like the printed out prototype, you would be torquing down the heads as well as pre-loading the lifters, and one of the head bolts is under the rocker arm. If you wanted to do any work on the cam you would need to pull the head, which would be practical impossible since the bolt is under the rocker arm.
I guess you could cut the push rods, ect.
This is why the changed the design so that the rocker arm is bolted in and does not have a cap, so the rocker arm can be removed.
Not because of rhetoric on the internet.

1FSTRK

I would respectfully submit the head was never designed to have the rockers and pushrods in when torqued down. In the cad-cam world the drawing is the part, it can be used to generate a printed part, machining program or mold. I do not see HD making it to the 3-D printer stage without a plan to assemble and service the valve train without removing heads or cutting pushrods. Given the drawing is the part and the printed part shows slide in shafts with one end set up for a bolt to secure them, add the fact the printed engine shows no rockers or pushrods I wonder if the original design called for either an adjustable rockers or adjustable pushrods. It really does not matter for this thread but it would be an AH HA moment to realize milling the top off the shaft tower makes the assembly possible and the rocker cheaper all at the same time. It would also eliminate the factory adjustment step, could have been pure bean counter design.
Just thinking out loud here, you just never know.

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers on April 25, 2017, 09:35:25 AM
I took a closer look, The towers are cast into the head, if they had left the caps on like the printed out prototype, you would be torquing down the heads as well as pre-loading the lifters, and one of the head bolts is under the rocker arm. If you wanted to do any work on the cam you would need to pull the head, which would be practical impossible since the bolt is under the rocker arm.
I guess you could cut the push rods, ect.
This is why the changed the design so that the rocker arm is bolted in and does not have a cap, so the rocker arm can be removed.
Not because of rhetoric on the internet.

Actually, you have that exactly backwards. What I posted is verifiable fact. What you posted is the definition of "rhetoric on the internet."

10 or so posts back you knew absolutely nothing about the design, now you're the foremost authority. Your way or the wrong way. OK man.

Unlike you I won't apologize to Jamie for taking the thread off track, then continue to do so. I'm through here.

SLAATY

SOOOOO....

Rhetoric aside, what's the latest on this big bore business? Been almost 3 mo's now, and your public awaits.

Jamie Long

Quote from: SLAATY on April 25, 2017, 01:57:38 PM
SOOOOO....

Rhetoric aside, what's the latest on this big bore business? Been almost 3 mo's now, and your public awaits.

Here's the latest on our end http://www.harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php?topic=97940.0