Milwaukee 8 Big bore kit disassembly & installation

Started by Jamie Long, February 02, 2017, 11:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie Long

We are disassembling the motor on our 2017 Milwaukee Eight bike today in preparation of our big bore kit R&D. We will be installing big bore piston/cylinders and testing several custom bore sizes we had made. We will also be testing an assortment of cams, cylinder heads, and other assorted components. We have a load of parts here ready to be tested including injectors, throttle bodies, exhaust systems, clutches, etc.. so it is going to take some time to get thru everything.

Jamie Long

Ohio HD

Nice! I look forward to seeing what the results will be for the upgrades.    :up:

Jamie Long

Some assorted images of the M8 engine during disassembly. Motor has just under 2000 miles, and a good amount was on the dyno. I'm not too concerned with the carbon buildup considering we used this bike to develop all of our 107" calibrations so it spent more time than normal in an untuned state. I will say that this motor did not have great ring seal initially, as others have noted with their M8's ours puffed some blue smoke when it was new before the motor got up to temp, however after some miles the smoking disappeared so we were not concerned.

Jamie Long

joe_lyons

Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

NCTURBOS

Quote from: joe_lyons on February 02, 2017, 01:04:20 PM
What bore sizes are you guys playing with?

^^What he said...^^

Will 4.250" be one of them? Going to sign the line on my '17 R.G. tomorrow after work!   :smilep:

K.
-Boosted 95" B... 160.75-hp & 141.55-tq, 93-octane
-2017 FLTRXS... Stock

Jamie Long

Quote from: joe_lyons on February 02, 2017, 01:04:20 PM
What bore sizes are you guys playing with?

We'll be releasing info on the bore sizes we are testing once we get thru some of the initial testing.

Jamie Long

Milwaukee 8 injectors; note dual spray pattern and injectors are no longer identified by a colored band they now use a paint dot on the injector body. The red dot is a 5.5gm injector

rbabos

Quote from: Jamie Long on February 02, 2017, 01:16:55 PM
Milwaukee 8 injectors; note dual spray pattern and injectors are no longer identified by a colored band they now use a paint dot on the injector body. The red dot is a 5.5gm injector

Purdy O rings on those. Why are they so big and fat?
Ron

Jamie Long

New dual knock sensors & updated engine temp sensor on the 2017 Milwaukee 8 engine.

joe_lyons

Quote from: rbabos on February 02, 2017, 01:27:20 PM

Purdy O rings on those. Why are they so big and fat?
Ron
That's probably just how Bosch sells them
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

Tommy D

Jamie,

5.5 OE ?
What mm TB is the MoCo using ?
Acts 4:12

Jamie Long

Quote from: Tommy D on February 02, 2017, 05:49:38 PM

Jamie,

5.5 OE ?
What mm TB is the MoCo using ?

The factory injectors are 4.35gm and the throttle body is 55mm on both 107 & 114 M8 models

Jamie Long

Here are a few of the components we are installing. Fuel Moto big bore kit, Wood Performance M8 directional lifters, high lift valve springs, & Knight Prowler WM8-999 cams.

FSG

Directional lifters have only one flat that would go against the anti rotation pin in a TC, how are they going to be managed in an M8 which uses a guide similar to what's in a Sportster.

Does Wood Performance provide a replacement guide?

rbabos

Quote from: FSG on February 02, 2017, 11:17:07 PM
Directional lifters have only one flat that would go against the anti rotation pin in a TC, how are they going to be managed in an M8 which uses a guide similar to what's in a Sportster.

Is that a guide or the interference lifter holder?
Ron

FSG

That's the new Anti-Rotation Device that replaces the way they did it in the TC's.  These new devices have 2 flats for each lifter so I'm curious as to how anyones directional lifters are going to be fitted. 

I guess there's another Aftermarket Product for someone to make.

rbabos

Quote from: FSG on February 03, 2017, 12:04:37 PM
That's the new Anti-Rotation Device that replaces the way they did it in the TC's.  These new devices have 2 flats for each lifter so I'm curious as to how anyones directional lifters are going to be fitted. 

I guess there's another Aftermarket Product for someone to make.

Cool. I guess I should have looked at the breakdown before typing. I see what you are saying. The purpose of a directional lifter still evades me however.
Ron
Ron

BVHOG

If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.

borno

Maybe O.T. , but those new rocker covers remind me of the old rock 'em sock 'em robots  :smile:

biglew55

Quote from: borno on February 04, 2017, 07:23:34 AM
Maybe O.T. , but those new rocker covers remind me of the old rock 'em sock 'em robots  :smile:

New contest.... First one to have a red one and a blue one on the same bike wins!!  :soda:
2020 FLHTK - 2018 BMW R1200 GSA - 1965 FLHFB
IBA #595

Durwood

Quote from: Jamie Long on February 02, 2017, 11:44:51 AM
More images of the disassembled M8 engine:

Were you able to use the stock push rod tubes with the FM Twin Cam push rods?

Jamie Long

Quote from: Durwood on February 04, 2017, 08:08:00 AM
Were you able to use the stock push rod tubes with the FM Twin Cam push rods?

Yes, same pushrods as Twin Cam with stock pushrod tubes

FSG

Quote from: FSG on February 02, 2017, 11:17:07 PM

Jamie  what's the deal with the Wood Performance M8 directional lifters?