April 27, 2024, 02:09:04 AM

News:

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VDeuce

Not good news for those of us considering a new bike...

Not-too-late

Quote from: hogpipes1 on September 13, 2017, 07:31:18 PM
Quote from: Not-too-late on September 13, 2017, 12:31:43 PM
Have over 5K miles on a 2017 Ultra Limited. Just wrapped up a 3k plus ride and I pushed it hard in mountains, traffic and 85mph plus for hours and hours, holding at 95 for stretches and reaching 100.
Still no migrating. Running perfectly.
H-D Should hire you as a test rider . Looks like you have a one of the bikes put together on a wedsday.  :up:

I do feel fortunate, but must admit to checking the tranny level often. Never gave it a thought in the past.
I suppose its possible that the migration will happen in the future. I bought at discount an extended warrantee because its a first year motor. That may come in handy.
I suspect the bikes affected represent a small percentage. Its going to be mighty interesting to learn what the actual cause is.

klammer76

Quote from: HV on September 14, 2017, 12:37:29 PM
All the whare house etc have been re organised and moved......I see the Unions pulled out too something about HD Hiring Temp Staff and cutting back #s...all = a $hit Show
Wow, very disappointing. Company is in free fall. No leadership? Who knows. WE are some what spoiled here in the States, can get anything fairly quickly....for now anyway.

PoorUB

I remember mentioning to the local dealer service manager that I did a top end rebuild in three days, including ordering parts. I asked him if they could do a top end in three days, he just laughed and said it would be at least a week, probably two weeks with time to get all the parts.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

PoorUB

Quote from: HV on September 14, 2017, 08:52:38 AM
I think a lot of you have no idea how a Dealership actually works in the real world......

Sure, but I find it hard to believe that sales would not know of cam tensioner issues by 2006! The problems with the M8 I can understand, new bike, not out to the public that long.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

lucasg

Quote from: Grayrider on September 13, 2017, 01:04:17 PM
You must be one of the 99%
I have been to 3 dealers, 2 in Canada and one in Detroit.
Not one has heard of any oil migrating or had any M8 issues!
As if.
Grayrider,
Not sure where you are in Canada;  I'm in Ontario.  One of the busiest dealers in the GTA has a whole whack of left over 2017 Touring models(M8).  Same answer from every dealer here as well"only thing we've had an issues with on these new bikes was the initial oil line clamp that wasn't tightened properly from the factory, otherwise they've been excellent and trouble free."  I personally don't know anyone who owns an M8 bike so I honestly can't say I heard of any problems first hand.  What's disappointing is you'd think they'd be willing to deal on left over bikes, yikes.... You'd be lucky to get $500 off... Lol😩

blackhillsken

Had a '17 FLHX 103 on the dyno for stage one tuning that just didn't sound right after lots of tuning time. I hadn't changed the trans oil. Don't remember the mileage, but it was low. Began to sort of whine (even through the headphones). Found out about this issue here after I was done. Added 20 oz to the trans & drained 20oz from the primary. He then went on a 1500 mile trip with no problems. He is having his dealer work on it.
Ken

hd06

Just a though could the exhaust close to trans. build a lot of heat and push the fluid in the primary.   :scratch:

Grayrider

'Not sure where you are in Canada;  I'm in Ontario'
Southern ON. just across from Detroit.

I know if I bought a new Harley and was having any of these problems, my salesman would be well aware of the problem - from me.
And when none of them asked me 'where did you hear that' makes me really wonder what they know!
But, as we hear, many new bikes are running good too.
So, I guess, buyer be aware.
I'm Sexy – I Ride a Harley – I can't Help It!

05cvoeg

I showed this to a dealer just the other day acted liked like they never heard of it

hd06

Though he mite say they all do that.

twincamzz

I picked my 2017 Ultra Limited Low up from the dealer day before yesterday. They replaced crankshaft seal & spacer for the trans fluid migration to primary problem. My motorcycle had lost 4 ounces of trans fluid in 7000 miles, not near as bad as others have reported, but still a problem in my eyes. Headed out today to Natural Bridge State Park to visit one of favorite places on Earth.  Time will tell if this really is the fix:chop:
not all who wander are lost...

WirgmanUSMC

My bike had been at harley for almost a month. They said they couldn't duplicate the transfer. Rode it a whole 40 miles they said. Service guy gave me a bunch of attitude and the whole "well there isn't a service bulletin on it, I know you "read about it on the internet" but nothing is wrong with your bike."
Convinced them to put dye in my tranny and took my bike home. Gonna dog on it and put some more miles on it then bring it back with a Lemon Law letter from a lawyer. I'm NC that gives them 20 days to fix the problem or buy the bike back.

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: WirgmanUSMC on September 20, 2017, 07:47:20 AM
My bike had been at harley for almost a month. They said they couldn't duplicate the transfer. Rode it a whole 40 miles they said. Service guy gave me a bunch of attitude and the whole "well there isn't a service bulletin on it, I know you "read about it on the internet" but nothing is wrong with your bike."
Convinced them to put dye in my tranny and took my bike home. Gonna dog on it and put some more miles on it then bring it back with a Lemon Law letter from a lawyer. I'm NC that gives them 20 days to fix the problem or buy the bike back.

Maybe that'll keep'm from playing dumb and giv'n ya the stroke job.

happyman

IronButt70

Know a club rider who couldn't convince his dealing there was a problem. He took redline tranny fluid (the pepto bismal stuff), and clear primary fluid to his dealer and paid to have them install both. Took the bike home, road it around for a couple weeks, then took it back to the dealer to check levels. His tranny was 8 ounces low. Guess what color this primary fluid was? Rhymes with pink.  Irma kinda screwed up riding here for the last few weeks but hoping to see him this weekend on his backup bike and hear the poop. Unfortunately there is no lemon law for bikes in Fla. ATM. Ridiculous considering the amount of bikes registered in this state.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

motorhogman

September 21, 2017, 07:40:20 AM #541 Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 07:48:28 AM by motorhogman
Quote from: IronButt70 on September 21, 2017, 04:49:22 AM
Know a club rider who couldn't convince his dealing there was a problem. He took redline tranny fluid (the pepto bismal stuff), and clear primary fluid to his dealer and paid to have them install both. Took the bike home, road it around for a couple weeks, then took it back to the dealer to check levels. His tranny was 8 ounces low. Guess what color this primary fluid was? Rhymes with pink.  Irma kinda screwed up riding here for the last few weeks but hoping to see him this weekend on his backup bike and hear the poop. Unfortunately there is no lemon law for bikes in Fla. ATM. Ridiculous considering the amount of bikes registered in this state.

I thought the lemon law was Federal ?   Have to look into that.. That would mean the Feds don't consider bike purchases worthy of consumer protection laws.. ? 
I have just ASSumed it covered all new motor vehicles..  Ya know what happens when Ya ASSume...

It appears lemon laws are complicated !
http://www.lemonlawcase.com/new-motorcycle-lemon-law/
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

IronButt70

Quote from: motorhogman on September 21, 2017, 07:40:20 AM

I thought the lemon law was Federal ?   Have to look into that.. That would mean the Feds don't consider bike purchases worthy of consumer protection laws.. ? 
I have just ASSumed it covered all new motor vehicles..  Ya know what happens when Ya ASSume...

List of states which have motorcycle lemon laws. Florida? No
http://burdgelaw.com/PDF/State%20Motorcycle%20Lemon%20Law%20Summaries.pdf

Looks like more states don't have them then do.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

motorhogman

Quote from: IronButt70 on September 21, 2017, 08:02:01 AM

List of states which have motorcycle lemon laws. Florida? No
http://burdgelaw.com/PDF/State%20Motorcycle%20Lemon%20Law%20Summaries.pdf

Looks like more states don't have them then do.

Sure looks that way..

There is the chance that Federal law may cover ?  From my few minutes of searching it appears you need a consumer protection lawyer to get answers as how that law applies.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

harleytuner

Lemon laws for recreational vehicles are controlled on the state level.  I do have a customer was successful in a lemon law case in a state that didn't cover MC's.  He got them on an interstate commerce deal.  Somehow his lawyer convinced a judge that since HD built the bike in Milwaukee and had it shipped to Colorado with the intent to sell it it was interstate commerce, therefore covered by Federal laws. 

lucasg

September 23, 2017, 08:32:57 AM #545 Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 02:35:16 PM by FSG
Quote from: harleytuner on September 21, 2017, 01:22:25 PM

Lemon laws for recreational vehicles are controlled on the state level.  I do have a customer was successful in a lemon law case in a state that didn't cover MC's.  He got them on an interstate commerce deal.  Somehow his lawyer convinced a judge that since HD built the bike in Milwaukee and had it shipped to Colorado with the intent to sell it it was interstate commerce, therefore covered by Federal laws.

Awesome Chad !!   :up:

RXBOB

Just did a 3500k trip through the pilbara over 4 days, got home give her a bath and checked fluids, no dramas,,,,,,,,,,,,yeap heard correct no migration

Sunny Jim

That's great news RXBob. If I know you , you would have averaged 70-80 mph.
You have external breathers too!

RXBOB

Quote from: Sunny Jim on September 25, 2017, 08:04:27 AM
That's great news RXBob. If I know you , you would have averaged 70-80 mph.
You have external breathers too!

YES and YES

randyman

1600 miles since last oil change all levels perfect.