April 27, 2024, 12:19:03 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coyote

PoorUB

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Jim Bronson

Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Oz Dan

17,000 km on my 17 FLHR and 2 dyno tunes - no transfer.
2017 FLHR Stage 2

PoorUB

I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

50Panhead

Over Christmas break I dumped the transmission and primary oils on my 2017 Limited.  I found that 5 oz had migrated into the primary.

I stopped in at the dealers and talked to them about it. They told me that the motor company believes that the M8 engine is somehow creating the vacuum in the primary.  We were all puzzled by motor company thinking.  Like How in the Hell can that be? They told me that they (the dealer) would keep me posted.

What Do You Care What Other People Think

Jim Bronson

Why can't they just vent the primary directly instead of through the clutch pushrod bore? If I owned an M8 with the problem, I'd find a scrap derby cover and drill it and connect a length of rubber hose for a vent. It would be quick and would verify whether pressure differential is the problem.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

FurryOne

Quote from: 50Panhead on January 01, 2018, 05:08:24 PM
They told me that the motor company believes that the M8 engine is somehow creating the vacuum in the primary.  We were all puzzled by motor company thinking.  Like How in the Hell can that be?

If they have the same setup as the TC it's possible to get leakage through the seal in back of the stator since it seals to a spacer that's on the shaft instead of the shaft itself, but I'd think that leakage would pressurize the primary, not create a vacuum.

98fxstc

Previous pages on the thread should be compulsory reading for anybody chiming in.
Really is a waste of space with comments and questions from latecomers too lazy to get up to speed on the subject.

ekb55

Dealer picked up my 2017 SGS with 2,300 miles on it January 19th. No trans fluid on the dipstick. Service manager will be calling Harley on Tuesday to see what they say to do. Dealer did not hesitate to offer to pick the bike up and immediately address the issue. As far as they are concerned if it takes another bike to make me happy that will be the plan. Stay tuned.

IronButt70

Quote from: ekb55 on January 21, 2018, 05:46:49 PM
Dealer picked up my 2017 SGS with 2,300 miles on it January 19th. No trans fluid on the dipstick. Service manager will be calling Harley on Tuesday to see what they say to do. Dealer did not hesitate to offer to pick the bike up and immediately address the issue. As far as they are concerned if it takes another bike to make me happy that will be the plan. Stay tuned.
Cudos to your dealer. Guy I ride with just had his second M8 grenade. Probably sumping again like the first but won't know for sure until they pull it apart. Dealer gave him a loner in the mean time. Keep us posted.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

08flstf

I've been following this thread since it started. I was really hoping this would have been resolved by now as I really like the new bikes but I'm afraid to take that expensive a chance on one of these. I was hoping this would have been cleared up by now and I might trade for one instead of spending more money on mine, but it looks like I may just bump mine up a little more to keep me satisfied another year or two. If it's not resolved by then I'll probably consider changing brands, don't really want to but damn!

Not-too-late

I read somewhere that MoCo has a cure.
Do they or don't they? And when are we gonna here about it?

Enough is enough already.

:emoGroan:

1FSTRK

Quote from: Not-too-late on January 24, 2018, 10:21:56 AM
I read somewhere that MoCo has a cure.
Do they or don't they? And when are we gonna here about it?

Enough is enough already.

:emoGroan:

Read the last few pages here, there are some pictures of it. It does not work 100% of the time.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

kd

Quote from: rigidthumper on December 29, 2017, 09:33:52 AM
Quote from: Moparnut72 on December 29, 2017, 07:28:10 AM
Does this problem occur in all TC late models or certain ones. I have a '17 Slim. Guess I better check it.
kk

Bulletin TA0022 applies to only touring models for 2014-2018

What is different with the Softails? There's the clue.
KD

kd

KD

1FSTRK

Looks like they are looking to invent something to sell. Some simple drains in the right places as discussed here in this thread will probably work just fine.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

IronButt70

Quote from: kd on January 24, 2018, 04:58:53 PM
Quote from: rigidthumper on December 29, 2017, 09:33:52 AM
Quote from: Moparnut72 on December 29, 2017, 07:28:10 AM
Does this problem occur in all TC late models or certain ones. I have a '17 Slim. Guess I better check it.
kk

Bulletin TA0022 applies to only touring models for 2014-2018

What is different with the Softails? There's the clue.
Cable instead of hydraulic clutch?
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

Moparnut72

My Softail Slim S has an hydraulic clutch.
kk
If you find yourself in a fair fight,
You didn't prepare properly.

rbabos

fwj

I'm sure that some of you dyno tuners did also M8 softails in the past months. Are they transferring too or is it indeed a hydraulic clutch caused issue? Sharing your learnings would be very much appreciated.

HD/Wrench

So I had to swap a out springs in the clutch on a 2017 .  As customer had a BB kit done and claimed clutch seemed like it was slipping    Primary pouring fluid out trans almost full ??  :scratch:

I call customer and he has been adding trans fluid did not know where it was going though  maybe a leak..  So back too many pages to search . Some one stated that no way for the fluid level to transfer into engine due to height of seal  . Well this this had  3 qts  10 0z in the primary . That is well above the sprocket shaft seal level. I checked engine oil level 1/2 qt low almost due for 5 k oil change . SO ok  .  Slotted the gasket like others .. Will see if that is able to slow this one down.

Customer is adding over 2 qts in under 5K  to trans  :banghead: :banghead: 

rbabos

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on February 24, 2018, 09:19:06 AM
So I had to swap a out springs in the clutch on a 2017 .  As customer had a BB kit done and claimed clutch seemed like it was slipping    Primary pouring fluid out trans almost full ??  :scratch:

I call customer and he has been adding trans fluid did not know where it was going though  maybe a leak..  So back too many pages to search . Some one stated that no way for the fluid level to transfer into engine due to height of seal  . Well this this had  3 qts  10 0z in the primary . That is well above the sprocket shaft seal level. I checked engine oil level 1/2 qt low almost due for 5 k oil change . SO ok  .  Slotted the gasket like others .. Will see if that is able to slow this one down.

Customer is adding over 2 qts in under 5K  to trans  :banghead: :banghead:
But he's living the dream. :teeth:
Ron

Hossamania

With that much transfer that quickly, it would be a very good candidate for troubleshooting the problem.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.