April 27, 2024, 05:42:49 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

M8 trans fluid leaking in primary

Started by grnrock, February 17, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoorUB

I would run the vent up into the frame and find some kind of filter to put on it to keep the big chunks out. A pleated fiber gas filter perhaps.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

1FSTRK

I see a new chrome aftermarket kit coming, more junk to bolt on that at best does nothing or at worst causes more problems.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Buglet

The transmission vented out to the air with no filter and no one seams excited about ed  being that way for years.

harley_cruiser

July 06, 2018, 04:07:48 PM #1028 Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 04:12:31 PM by Harley_Cruiser Rocker Lockers
Quote from: BUGLET on July 06, 2018, 03:49:43 PM
    The transmission vented out to the air with no filter and no one seams excited about ed  being that way for years.
Yea that. I don't believe it is a vacuum issue sucking oil, I think once oil gets on the push rod and inside of the tunnel there is nothing stopping it from going over to the primary.

KTA600

Quote from: Hossamania on July 06, 2018, 09:22:55 AM
Quote from: rbabos on July 06, 2018, 08:25:10 AM
Quote from: Hossamania on July 06, 2018, 07:00:05 AM
Is that vent tube pushing air out, or sucking air in?
Both. Exhales as the primary heats up and sucks in on cool down. Real slow motion of air movement both ways. Pretty much static once hot and once cold.
Ron

Having it suck air in without a filter would make me nervous.
all our vehicles do it now...we see more rear end and trans leaks in automotive stuff when vents get clogged .    Dirt track racers have been putting small gas filters on the vent hose for years or run trans ,rear and other components into a puke tank. That has a bigger filter on it.

Hunter14

I have an 2017 Tri-Glide [M8] And every 8 hundred miles i have to go back to my dealer to have the primary oil drained  and transmission fluid's filled up . [4 times already]...The dealer tried Haleys fix kit, Some kind of plug and gasket , If anything that made it worst...My Dealer is honest with me and says he has at least 4 other M8 Doing the same, And Harley is Stone-Walling....And they the dealer hands are tied...
If you don't wave to them, They wont wave back to you...

Hunter14

Just to add.....Harley tech services requested that i ride at or above 25 hundred rpm's at all times and that will stop the carry-over of the fluids .... :wtf:

rigidthumper

Quote from: Hunter14 on July 07, 2018, 07:15:11 PM
Just to add.....Harley tech services requested that i ride at or above 25 hundred rpm's at all times and that will stop the carry-over of the fluids .... :wtf:
That's bizarre, just bizarre...
I'm betting that doesn't make it better...
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

04 SE Deuce

Taking this long is silly,  the Harley bunch may have to get a real manufacturer of powertrains to lend them a hand...it appears to have moved beyond the level of grade school science fair project.

I bet if the states with lemon laws made the dealers start doling out refunds a cure would come fairly quick.

Hunter14

Worst, And it made more noise, Used more gas....And most of the ridding around town and adjoining towns the speed limit is 25 to 35mph...Try to drive at 25+rpm's and at 35 mph or under...

Jobie

I have the same problem and NO, it's not from over filling.  The first time I saw it, the oil was below the dipstick.  Sucked 4.5 - 5 oz of primary and re-filled tranny.  For the folks that have this problem, make sure that your tranny oil is compatible with a wet clutch or your next problem will be a clutch slipping also.  I have used AMS Gear Lube  in my tranny for years.  Wet clutches don't like that kind of lube.  Now, AMS 20/50 in all 3 holes.  Told my stealer and of course, never heard of it before and they are 3 weeks out on their service.  You would think that warranty work should take president over builds.  After all, takes more money to buy one then to do a build.  These F---ing dealers talk about loyalty but what they don't tell ya is that loyalty only goes one way when you stop throwing money at them!

rbabos

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on July 07, 2018, 07:55:00 PM
Taking this long is silly,  the Harley bunch may have to get a real manufacturer of powertrains to lend them a hand...it appears to have moved beyond the level of grade school science fair project.

I bet if the states with lemon laws made the dealers start doling out refunds a cure would come fairly quick.
They need to dig Wolfgang out of retirement and kick some ass.
Ron

50Panhead

I have been following this thread for a good while.  I have a 2017 Limited that I picked up a year ago last April. I now have 17,000 miles on it. Last oil change at 15,000 miles I carefully measured the primary and transmission oil. I had 10 oz of oil migrate. I photographed the volume of oil and took the photos to my dealer. We have been talking about the issue over the last year and they wanted full documentation which I provided them.  They scheduled my bike for the installation of Transmission oil deflector kit. They called me to inform me that Harley Davidson now requires full documentation of how much oil transferred, Bikes VIN # and some other information before they would send the deflector kit.   I have no problem with the company collecting data. Just hope they come through and I get the problem resolved before head to Alaska in a couple years.

This is after 5,300 miles.

Primary Oil
http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm328/50Panhead/DSCF1849_zpsgv2quy2l.jpg
Transmission Oil
http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm328/50Panhead/DSCF1851_zpsmvizokhr.jpg
What Do You Care What Other People Think

hogpipes1

Quote from: 50Panhead on July 23, 2018, 07:17:38 AM
I have been following this thread for a good while.  I have a 2017 Limited that I picked up a year ago last April. I now have 17,000 miles on it. Last oil change at 15,000 miles I carefully measured the primary and transmission oil. I had 10 oz of oil migrate. I photographed the volume of oil and took the photos to my dealer. We have been talking about the issue over the last year and they wanted full documentation which I provided them.  They scheduled my bike for the installation of Transmission oil deflector kit. They called me to inform me that Harley Davidson now requires full documentation of how much oil transferred, Bikes VIN # and some other information before they would send the deflector kit.   I have no problem with the company collecting data. Just hope they come through and I get the problem resolved before head to Alaska in a couple years.

Primary Oil
Transmission Oil

Great , You are on top of this game for sure. :up: Hope they don't come up with some BS  this all had to be done at  your dealer.

50Panhead

Quote from: hogpipes1 on July 23, 2018, 07:26:36 AM
Quote from: 50Panhead on July 23, 2018, 07:17:38 AM

Primary Oil
Transmission Oil

Great , You are on top of this game for sure. :up: Hope they don't come up with some BS  this all had to be done at  your dealer.

Guys in the Shop (Dealers Shop) say they do not check volume when they change fluids. They just dump and refill it.   Yes I hope they Motor Company does not want it all done in the Dealers Shop. If that is the case very little will happen.
What Do You Care What Other People Think

Hunter14

After the third time  my dealer installed the kit, made it worst.....

Hossamania

I've said it before, I would be so PO'd if that was happening to me. I honestly don't know how I would handle it. I'm pretty sure the owner of the dealership and I would have a nice talk about options going forward.
Has anybody with multiple repeat visits and fixes talked with a state's attorney general to file a complaint and try to get it resolved? At the very least, I would want a full refund, lemon law style, whether it was applicable to motorcycles or not.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Reddog74usa

I agree with ya Hoss. It's almost like their trying to make the MOCO fail. I took a 114 fatbob out for a test ride and really liked it. Bike did everything it was supposed to do and did it very well but I REFUSE to pay good money for a design that has so many flaws and the MOCO stonewalling or flat out refusing to make it right.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

rbabos

Quote from: Reddog74usa on July 23, 2018, 12:50:34 PM
I agree with ya Hoss. It's almost like their trying to make the MOCO fail. I took a 114 fatbob out for a test ride and really liked it. Bike did everything it was supposed to do and did it very well but I REFUSE to pay good money for a design that has so many flaws and the MOCO stonewalling or flat out refusing to make it right.
I think that bugs me the most out of the whole deal . Sure issues come up but how they are dealt with is important. I give them a big fail in that regard and makes me stay clear of them.
Ron

hogpipes1

Thinking  the  same  the other day, if there is only say a few with this issues , jump on it , fix the issue . if a design problem  recall, fix the damn thing and move on . why the policy of piss the customers off , with all the time and money  it cost the dealers and H-D itself . If this was a issue with Indian and they pulled this "Potty mouth" , it would be more than Victory riding off into the sunset for sure.

SixShooter14

Quote from: hogpipes1 on July 23, 2018, 07:37:46 PM

Thinking  the  same  the other day, if there is only say a few with this issues , jump on it , fix the issue . if a design problem  recall, fix the damn thing and move on . why the policy of piss the customers off , with all the time and money  it cost the dealers and H-D itself . If this was a issue with Indian and they pulled this "Potty mouth" , it would be more than Victory riding off into the sunset for sure.
Maybe HD thinks they are "too big to fail"  :doh:
'97 Road King, Rinehart True Dual, HSR42, 10:1, EVL3010, 2000i

Pete_Vit

Quote from: SixShooter14 on July 24, 2018, 12:52:05 PM

:hyst: maybe they should see what's going on in the retail world.... Sears & Roebuck come to mind...  :soda:
93 XLH1200 - 96 FXSTS - 2010 Ultra Glide Classic
www.facebook.com/harleypartsch

happyman

Quote from: Pete_Vit on July 24, 2018, 01:06:19 PM
Quote from: SixShooter14 on July 24, 2018, 12:52:05 PM

:hyst: maybe they should see what's going on in the retail world.... Sears & Roebuck come to mind...  :soda:

what number  comes to mind when the word few  enters the topic?  always thought it was  in the area of 7 or eight not thousands upon thousands.

Nastytls

Take a look at HD stock over the last 5 yrs vs. Polaris stock over the last 5 yrs. Knowing that, the idea that they continue to knowingly produce an inferior poorly designed product boggles the mind. It wasn't THAT long ago that HD was on the verge of folding yet here they are whistling past the graveyard. If the upper management was worth a damn they would be demanding results and this mess would never have happened, never mind drag on for two years....

happyman

Quote from: Nastytls on July 24, 2018, 05:50:29 PM
Take a look at HD stock over the last 5 yrs vs. Polaris stock over the last 5 yrs. Knowing that, the idea that they continue to knowingly produce an inferior poorly designed product boggles the mind. It wasn't THAT long ago that HD was on the verge of folding yet here they are whistling past the graveyard. If the upper management was worth a damn they would be demanding results and this mess would never have happened, never mind drag on for two years....

it is a sad state of affairs to be sure.  it hard to imagine the  people at the top knowing there are very serious issues with the  HD yet it seems as if they think it will just go away .  it will not. when people get a few miles on more of these bikes with the wonderful m8 motors and they are out of warranty  and people are make huge payments on them and the bike sits  people will continue  to be on forums unhappy with the  product   it will only steer people away from the industry or just maybe the  HD .