May 02, 2024, 09:16:59 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

My Dead M8 Road King

Started by psyshack, April 11, 2017, 06:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoorUB

Quote from: metaliser on April 16, 2017, 06:06:42 AM
I'd just like to know whether they are going to fix this guy's engine or not. And if I was him that's what I'd like to know as well. I don't understand what the hold up is unless the OP pissed someone off at the start of this mess.

Funny how sometimes the people that demand the most, get the least.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Ohio HD

Quote from: PoorUB on April 16, 2017, 07:10:40 AM
Quote from: metaliser on April 16, 2017, 06:06:42 AM
I'd just like to know whether they are going to fix this guy's engine or not. And if I was him that's what I'd like to know as well. I don't understand what the hold up is unless the OP pissed someone off at the start of this mess.

Funny how sometimes the people that demand the most, get the least.

If I've only learned one thing in life, stay cool, and present the facts. Then stay adamant about what you need from them.

sfmichael

"If I've only learned one thing in life, stay cool, and present the facts. Then stay adamant about what you need from them."

excellent advice  :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

flh canuck

Regardless of the cause of the issue, I too would be pretty pissed if I paid cash for a new motorcycle and had major engine problems within the first 1000 miles.

While I don't necessarily agree with the OP on his assessment of how harley parts should or should not look, if there is no oil pressure, there is a problem and one would think the cam chest / oil pump area would be the first thing they would open up....

I know that mechanical devices can fail and "Potty mouth" happens but hopefully the OP gets it fixed to his satisfaction and is able to start enjoying his new motorcycle. I would probably not be happy with anything less than a new replacement engine in this case.
2018 Ultra Limited. Back in black!

K4FXD

Someone asked about warranting a built motor after the customer replaced things.

If I built you a motor and you brought it back 500 miles later and it had low oil pressure and was making piston slap noises I'd tear it down to find out what went wrong. Before I tore it down I'd make sure your modifications didn't throw off AFR's and ign timing. If everything is in an acceptable range I'd fix it on my dime. If I found it was running too lean or rich I'd want to work out something like I'll take care of the oil issues, I'd replace bottom end you would be responsible for the top end.

However to keep my reputation I'd probably eat it all if the customer argued too much. But it would leave without any future warranty.
I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery

Amkimber

from what my dealer said, there are some metal shavings from the oil dipstick threads that break off and clog the oil pump.  I was told to check mine to see if there are very thin threads that have broken off, mine are thin but not broken, I think they said they will fix them on the next service to prevent them breaking off.  I am sure there will be a recall on the oil dipstick threads.. Maybe.. Check that out?

Ohio HD

Quote from: Amkimber on April 16, 2017, 03:14:33 PM
from what my dealer said, there are some metal shavings from the oil dipstick threads that break off and clog the oil pump.  I was told to check mine to see if there are very thin threads that have broken off, mine are thin but not broken, I think they said they will fix them on the next service to prevent them breaking off.  I am sure there will be a recall on the oil dipstick threads.. Maybe.. Check that out?

That's interesting.

rbabos

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 16, 2017, 03:19:35 PM

That's interesting.
I can come up with a few better words then interesting. :wink:
Ron

Ohio HD

Quote from: rbabos on April 16, 2017, 03:45:20 PM

That's interesting.
Ron

I guess I find it interesting because I assume the transmission case is the same as previous years?

Ohio HD

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 16, 2017, 03:53:39 PM

That's interesting.
Ron

I guess I find it interesting because I assume the transmission case is the same as previous years?

Nope, just looked, a new part number.  34700084

motorhogman

Quote from: flh canuck on April 16, 2017, 10:17:14 AM
Regardless of the cause of the issue, I too would be pretty pissed if I paid cash for a new motorcycle and had major engine problems within the first 1000 miles.

While I don't necessarily agree with the OP on his assessment of how harley parts should or should not look, if there is no oil pressure, there is a problem and one would think the cam chest / oil pump area would be the first thing they would open up....

I know that mechanical devices can fail and "Potty mouth" happens but hopefully the OP gets it fixed to his satisfaction and is able to start enjoying his new motorcycle. I would probably not be happy with anything less than a new replacement engine in this case.

I totally agree. The mods made have -0 to do with low oil pressure on this or any engine.  Dealer leaves a lot to be desired.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

rbabos

Quote from: Ohio HD on April 16, 2017, 03:56:44 PM
Quote from: Ohio HD on April 16, 2017, 03:53:39 PM

That's interesting.
Ron

Nope, just looked, a new part number.  34700084
That is interesting. :teeth:
Ron

lucasg

I hope this clogged oil pump/metal shaving doesn't turn out to be a disaster.  Just recently read an article about Hyundai having to replace the engine (2.0 & 2.4 L) blocks in 2011-2013 ?? Sonata and Sante Fe models as well as some Kia's..  Apparently during the engine manufacturing process the holes that were drilled (oil passage ways) to aid in cooling in the block, never had the metal debris/shavings removed so they ended up getting plugged up.  As a result, scores of owners complained of engines getting louder n louder over time. The dealers were turning people away telling them there was no warranty, because majority of people had surpassed time frame.  One lady in California decided to call them out.  Now Hyundai is settling a class action lawsuit and has to replace all the short blocks in these cars plus any compensation payable to vehicle owners.  Sorry for the long post, hope everything works out for this guy;  I'd be upset if it was my bike.

Durwood

Re-installing the oil cap is more than likely the culprit, I can see where it could be possible to cross thread the stick on an M8, you just have to take extra care in making sure the cap is seated squarely before attempting to thread it in, there will be minimal resistance until the o-ring at the top of the threads on the cap reaches the case, then snug it up from there.

hogpipes1

Looks like harley dealers will have to have a special class for new  M-8 owners , on how not too cross thread the  dip stick ,  or you will plug up your oil pump and blow the motor.  more than 6 pieces of scrap  before any warranty work will be done . How about harley  getting rid of the  made in china taps & dies. !!

rbabos

Quote from: Durwood on April 17, 2017, 09:12:51 AM
Re-installing the oil cap is more than likely the culprit, I can see where it could be possible to cross thread the stick on an M8, you just have to take extra care in making sure the cap is seated squarely before attempting to thread it in, there will be minimal resistance until the o-ring at the top of the threads on the cap reaches the case, then snug it up from there.
Sounds like no counter bore at the top of the threads? I suppose it's aluminum to aluminum thread as well? Either way, no excuse for that.
Ron

rbabos

Quote from: hogpipes1 on April 17, 2017, 12:51:55 PM
Looks like harley dealers will have to have a special class for new  M-8 owners , on how not too cross thread the  dip stick ,  or you will plug up your oil pump and blow the motor.  more than 6 pieces of scrap  before any warranty work will be done . How about harley  getting rid of the  made in china taps & dies. !!
More likely design then where taps and dies came from.
Ron

Durwood

Quote from: rbabos on April 18, 2017, 05:10:50 AM
Sounds like no counter bore at the top of the threads? I suppose it's aluminum to aluminum thread as well? Either way, no excuse for that.
Ron
It's hard plastic to aluminum, just like the 2016 and back models. There is a counter bore as well, but I still make sure it's square before threading in. So far, so good.
[attach=0]

rbabos

Quote from: Durwood on April 18, 2017, 09:18:14 AM
Ron
It's hard plastic to aluminum, just like the 2016 and back models. There is a counter bore as well, but I still make sure it's square before threading in. So far, so good.
[attach=0]
Well ,if the cap profile matches I don't see a really big issue. Not the prettiest I've seen but should work. Like you say, square it for straight thread engagement.
Ron

Ohio HD

Quote from: rbabos on April 18, 2017, 09:28:34 AM
Quote from: Durwood on April 18, 2017, 09:18:14 AM
Ron
[attach=0]
Well ,if the cap profile matches I don't see a really big issue. Not the prettiest I've seen but should work. Like you say, square it for straight thread engagement.
Ron

If there are a few instances of thread that came loose, it could even be from production threading tooling that was left in service too long. It could be very isolated, and not at all common.

harley_cruiser

Quote from: psyshack on April 18, 2017, 01:42:14 PM
UPDATE!!!

In my mind prove it!
Unfortunately it does not work that way, you have a warranty contract that is written in HD's favor, that has been denied, it is not up to them to prove it, all they have to do is say that it is void.
Now it is pretty much up to you to prove that the tuner/aftermarket parts did not do the harm.
I don't know how they can make a decision on oil pressure without pulling the pump.
Your best ally is you dealer, if he is willing to pull the cam plate and look at the pump to see what caused the problem, I would work with him before getting the attorneys evolved.
Lesson here take your bike back to stock before taking it in for warranty work, I have been reading this alot.