April 27, 2024, 03:17:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Timing a 1989 FXR

Started by 1340evo, May 11, 2017, 04:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1340evo

I'm sure I will... reason I'm doing this is I don't think it's getting full rev's at the top end....  so I hope this will help... It has been retarded so it may do... if not I'm looking for something else and back to the carb jetting....
Can't wait to get the gun back and see what it does   

thumper 823

Harley "times" the engine where it is most important -at run speed.
American cars for years did the opposite and timed them at an idle .
So if you think of it that way it might help.
Bigger numbers(more advanced @RPM)
Even so-  it is no guarantee you have found the sweet spot if the engine has been modded.
High compression, leaner mix, endless combination, and variables take away the cookie cutter numbers
D Troop 3/5, - C/16 ,162AHC, Mekong delta.
Rising from the Ashes  UHIH

festus

You didnt say if if the engine is stock?
But either way without a dyno and in the real world.
Get a buddy with a bike, put yours in 4th or 5th and find a gear on his bike that is close when you roll on from about 2500rpm on your bike.
go to about 4-4.5K?
Leave the timing cover off.
Do a roll on and then pull over and add timing. Dont have to shut it off.
Do another roll on. keep adding timing until the bike pings and/or falls off. go back to the last setting.
Got to the bar....um restaurant and shut off the bike wait about 5 min and see how it starts. If its good you are ok if it kicks back take a little more timing out.
Do this a couple times with the same honest friend and same bike.
This will be the best timing for "your bike". Then mark the cover.
You might make more power on a sheet but this works for actual riding.
Lights are good to start but every bike if different.
I had a buddies bike and 1.5 degrees made a huge difference in the way it started and ran.
My old FXR 80" 11.2-1, CM580, headwork, HI-4E and slipons made more power on the dyno after timing adjustments but wouldn't start worth a damn and didnt run as good on the street. I put the timing back after the dyno.

Plus this is just good times!! Good luck and have fun be safe.
Nothing is impossible if you don't have to do it yourself.