April 27, 2024, 01:09:29 PM

News:

#@*%*! saddlebag mounts

Started by LilBill, April 27, 2009, 03:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilBill

i seem to be having a duece of a time finding the proper brackets to mount oem hard bags on my 77flh. i have two sets of bags (a civilian set and a police set) that are identical in dimension and mount design.
so far i've bought two different sets of supposedly "oem shovelhead" brackets over the internet and neither set will fit these bags. both sets of mounts are the same but the pins that stick into the side of the bag are in the wrong place plus they both have a little flat tab that appears to fit a slot in the bag so you can put a pad lock on it. my bags lack matching slots. what the heck do i have here and how the heck do i get what i need to mount these frickin bags ? i have to stop now because i'm all out of 5th grade curse words.

96flhpi

Can't help on the first part, but if the tab you're talking about is on the back inside side of the brackets and parallel to the ground then that's to mount a crossbar between the left and right mounts - not for a pad lock and bags don't have a corrseponding slot.

LilBill

no, the tab is up top between the mounting pins. i dug out the old set that came with the bike when i bought it years ago and it matches the other mounts i've gathered up. BUT, there was also a ratty old set of leather bags along with the hard bags that came with the bike so i'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that all these mounts i own are for leather bags (panhead ?) and not the later hard bags. i'll post some pics over at the panhead board and fish for an i.d.

76shuvlinoff

If you find out the proper numbers please post them. When I got my 76 flh the mounts for the hard bags didn't really match and one of the bags, I think the right one, has a huge gouge in it from rubbing the axle nut. I took them off and shelved them about 14 years ago.

Mark

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway