April 30, 2024, 10:22:51 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Buy M8 now or wait ?

Started by MPop, July 16, 2017, 07:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jadoca

Quote from: Reddog74usa on September 05, 2017, 12:32:38 PM
Jadoca = TROLL

We don't take kindly to yer kind in this town. Adiose amigo
Western movies are great ....

Hossamania

Quote from: Jadoca on September 06, 2017, 10:00:05 AM
Quote from: Reddog74usa on September 05, 2017, 12:32:38 PM
Jadoca = TROLL

We don't take kindly to yer kind in this town. Adiose amigo
Western movies are great ....

Now that's funny!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

sfmichael

Quote from: BJB on September 05, 2017, 03:07:15 PM
The dealer (different ownership that moved from AZ to Anoka Co) I bought my '13 FLTRU talked up the M-8s and said they would only let me take a test ride IF I had signed a PA that would be valid if I wrecked the bike. Claimed they no longer offer test rides unless they are protected and that the MoCo factory truck visits are very rare.
Insulted me on what my '13 was worth.. Never got a cash price on a new FLTRU. Then again I offered my views on comps, lifters, pinon run out, 88 cam chain tensioners, etc, & having customers be the Beta testers. Never even bothered digging into M-8 specific issues because they looked me straight in the eye and said there are absolutely no problems with the new motor. Did say they had 1 CVO grenade. Period.
I think they saw me as a hieratic . Oh well...

All too common...I know they need to make money but many dealers feel they have to kill it on the used bike too.
I would have bought a few more if I could have gotten a FAIR trade for a used one. Not looking for retail but...geez.
Guess they don't need the business
Colorado Springs, CO.

BigT

Traded my 2012 FLHTK for a 2017 Street Glide Special. New bike handles so much better.

Hossamania

Quote from: BigT on September 08, 2017, 06:47:57 PM
Traded my 2012 FLHTK for a 2017 Street Glide Special. New bike handles so much better.

Hmm, I own a 2012 FLHTK. I might have to talk with the wife about making a deal.
Although, it handles well enough since it is long ago bought and paid for.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

rsbjt1

Just traded in my 2013 EG classic to a year end 2017 limited M8. So far extremely happy with my decision. Rides and handles better but I only have 1500 miles on it.

OldBogie

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on July 16, 2017, 07:59:14 PM
With the 18's coming out in a month I don't see any reason to jump now. Prices on 17's have nowhere to go but down.

Given Harley's propensity to beta test on the customer, evidence the shovel and twin cam, I'd wait about 6 years. But then there is the Evo that came out pretty good then developed more problems as they exercised design for cost reduction engineering over the following years.

Frankly I'm still PO'ed over my shovel purchase of nearly 50 years ago and again the Twin Cam of 17 years ago. The shovel was an every ride fight for its entire life at least the Twin Cam was fixed with a bunch of S&S parts and has stayed that way; it has proven to be a durable and pleasant ride. My evo was a 1989 it trucked right along with no surprises.

Bogie

Bogie

HarryT

On my second M8, totaled a Street Glide with 6000 miles and no problems, Just got a Road Glide Ultra ,3500 off the price tag, its a 2017 not to say that there will not have some loose screws , antifreeze overflowed with the first 75 mile ride, that's why you need two Harleys , one to ride  and one to work on
2015 RGS,110,777,FM2/1/2,PVT,BIG LOUIE,SE AC 
2017 RGU---bone stock

1workinman

Quote from: HarryT on September 26, 2017, 12:45:22 PM
On my second M8, totaled a Street Glide with 6000 miles and no problems, Just got a Road Glide Ultra ,3500 off the price tag, its a 2017 not to say that there will not have some loose screws , antifreeze overflowed with the first 75 mile ride, that's why you need two Harleys , one to ride  and one to work on
That the damn truth .

flh canuck

I traded my slightly warmed up 2013 Road King (Andrews 57h, Powervision, Rhinehart header pipe etc.) in on a 2018 Ultra Limited two weeks ago. That was after a lot of tire kicking and humming and hawing as well as waiting to see how the 17s worked out with the new engine design.

This is new Harley number 6 for me over the past twenty years which includes two previous Electraglides, one Fatboy and one Roadking. All were twin cams and I put a lot of miles on my motorcycles. I think I have a pretty good idea of how Harleys typically ride and handle, and I am well acquainted with some of their shortcomings.

My thoughts: The new Milwaukee 8 engine and suspension are just better in every sense of the word. The engine makes tons of torque right off idle and pulls like a freight train right through 4500 rpm which is the range that I typically ride in. The engine also has a completely different sound and feel to it. I like the fact that it idles at a lower speed which is a factor but compared to my old twin cam, it sounds like a big block Chevy vs a small block Chevy if you know what I mean. The Ultra Limited is also twin-cooled. The mechanic side of me really likes that feature as the wife and I like to tour down into the south western states often. My previous air-oil cooled twin cams would get cranky when the temperatures get upwards of 100 degrees. I am hoping the twin-cooled engine will be able to handle the high temps better, especially when stuck in traffic etc. I definitely notice a significant reduction in heat coming of the engine itself now. Part of that is likely due to the heat shield at the rear of the engine etc. but when the fans come on and blow hot air out the sides of the lowers, that is heat that is no longer cooking my thighs which is pretty nice.

The new suspension just plain works. On my Road King, I installed progressive cartridges in the front forks and was always adjusting the rear air shocks trying to get a bike that road and handled well. The new suspension on the 2018 works great right out of the box. Nice and smooth on the bumps but feels planted and solid when pushed at higher speeds and going into corners.

While there are no major changes compared to earlier twin-cams, my impression is that Harley Davidson did a lot of massaging of the little things that all add up to a near perfect ride in my opinion. This is the first Harley I have owned that may actually remain stock as it really does run and ride that nice out of the box. I look forward to riding this new motorcycle absolutely every chance I get and it puts a smile on my face every time. That my friends, is priceless....
2018 Ultra Limited. Back in black!

harleytuner

Quote from: flh canuck on October 13, 2017, 12:22:22 PM

The new suspension just plain works. On my Road King, I installed progressive cartridges in the front forks and was always adjusting the rear air shocks trying to get a bike that road and handled well. The new suspension on the 2018 works great right out of the box. Nice and smooth on the bumps but feels planted and solid when pushed at higher speeds and going into corners.

We can thank Aaron for the suspension as he helped design it.  He doesn't post much anymore.