April 30, 2024, 01:18:28 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Buy M8 now or wait ?

Started by MPop, July 16, 2017, 07:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPop

I've been thinking real serious about trading my '12 Fatboy for a FLH, but after reading all the posts about them here should I wait and give the factory time to fix issues ?

Rockout Rocker Products

With the 18's coming out in a month I don't see any reason to jump now. Prices on 17's have nowhere to go but down.
www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!

Bike31

I'd wait until after the 2018 intro and see what you'd miss with '17's. Plus there's enough indication that some have had problems yet to be resolved. Weigh that against what remains of your riding season if limited.

FSG

I'd wait to see the frame and suspension on the new Softails.   :chop:

Bike31

Maybe they'll reintroduce air suspension front and rear, or better yet actually spend some $ and go for electric adjustable units. Ride a current BMW and see how far they've gone beyond HD's FLS with their lay on the dirt hand adjustable rear shocks.

But the OP wants an FLH so that may not change much for '18.

Will-Run

Based on track record. Wait 5 yrs. Then be carefull and do much research.
Lean Angle, " Is Life."

rbabos

Quote from: Will-Run on July 17, 2017, 02:03:29 PM
[/quote
Well if you can wait that long might as well wait 15 until the newer M16 comes out. By then they should have addressed all the issues. :hyst:
Ron

harpwrench

I'd buy a leftover new '16  :scoot:

Ohio HD

Seriously, if I wanted to move from a 2012 Softail, I'd look for a low miles 2014 or 2015 Touring bike. Twin Cam bikes at their maturity, pre Rushmore baggage.

Sunny Jim

Go and ride one. If you like it , buy it. Apart from a warrantable issue, mine is a joy to ride. I have tried to find an excuse to unload it , but it really a great bike.

PoorUB

I bought a '16 Limited and it is the best Twin Cam I have owned. Power, handling, even oil consumption is better than the pre-Rushmore bikes. I do not regret buying my '16 one bit. (I still had to gut the cat and different mufflers to be satisfied, but it was darned close.

The worst part is I rode a couple BMW's a month ago. I recommend not riding one if you insist on staying with a Harley!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

sfmichael

Quote from: rbabos on July 17, 2017, 03:12:51 PM
Quote from: Will-Run on July 17, 2017, 02:03:29 PM
[/quote
Well if you can wait that long might as well wait 15 until the newer M16 comes out. By then they should have addressed all the issues. :hyst:
Ron

that's funny right there  :SM:
Colorado Springs, CO.

sfmichael

I'll tell you the same thing I always say - buy the newest, lowest mileage bike you can afford   :chop:

if it's got tits or tires, there's bound to be problems - but all things mechanical are fixable and we're all just blessed to be able to own and ride these turds no matter how nice they are   :beer:
Colorado Springs, CO.

mchertel

My two cents worth, BMW's have as many or more issues than Harley's.  I know from experience based on my brother and a friend who have them. 

Maybe I just had a lemon but no matter what I did on the 2015 UL with the 103 including a Thundermax tuner, removed cats and installed better slip-ons, Zippers high flow AC.......Nobody could ever get that bike running so it would not ping.  When it was at running temp and I would get near or full throttle at any RPM and the thing would ping pretty bad.  The Tuner is an experienced Indy and I do believe he did the best he could.  I was also down to about 35 mpg with these adjustments.

The new 2017 CVO Limited - No ping in any temperature, lots of power, not so loud, can't smell as much exhaust, on and on...and thus far no issues with it as far as fluid transfer (I never run it at 3500 rpm for an extended period of time though) or other things I have read.  Love the M8, seems as though I traded the Kawasaki in two years too early......lost at least the $2500.00 I put into the 103 plus depreciation. 

sandrooney

My 15 Road King is the only new Harley I have ever had that did not ping. That is why I am leaving it alone. I wouldn't trade it for 2- M8's.
Patience is such a waste of time .

harleytuner

Quote from: FSG on July 16, 2017, 11:52:15 PM
I'd wait to see the frame and suspension on the new Softails.   :chop:

They're still going to offer a Softail?

OP, if you are concerned about dome of tge problems you are reading about with the M8's, waiting for the '18's to come out won't really matter,  it doesn't appear that they (MoCo) has a fix on the sumping or trans fluid migration problems yet.

HD/Wrench

with all the issues no way would I buy one unless you want to work on it ..  Trans issues , oil pump , just had one in last week that the dealer came and picked up . was rattling like it had rocks inside the engine . Customer was on a trip was close by and stopped in . Nothing I could do for him .

Myself wanted to buy one but with the issues I am seeing and no fixes' at this point I would wait .

PoorUB

Quote from: mchertel on July 17, 2017, 07:54:01 PM
My two cents worth, BMW's have as many or more issues than Harley's.  I know from experience based on my brother and a friend who have them. 

Not arguing that point, but at least a stock BMW will run 80 MPH all day easily, and with a suspension that "floats" you down the road and doesn't beat you to pieces over expansion joints. Plus a hundred or more pounds lighter and handle better.
I love my Harley but there are better riding, higher performance choices.

harleytuner

Quote from: PoorUB on July 18, 2017, 07:30:30 AM

Not arguing that point, but at least a stock BMW will run 80 MPH all day easily, and with a suspension that "floats" you down the road and doesn't beat you to pieces over expansion joints. Plus a hundred or more pounds lighter and handle better.

Sure BMW's have problems.  But they also have fixes.

98fxstc

Depends how you feel about rollin' the dice I guess
few here talking about the warranty and Dealers standing behind the bike
You want a bike you can ride ?
or do you want to spend a lot of time running backwards and forwards to the Dealer ?
How far from the Dealer are you ?
what about when the warranty runs out ?
you any good on the tools ?
or do you have to pay somebody else to do the work ?

wait a year ( or two ?) for the MoCo to fix the problems

or you might be lucky and get a good one
it seems a few have got one

rbabos

Quote from: harleytuner on July 18, 2017, 07:34:11 AM

That's the key is fixing the damn things if a problem is found rather then hoping the warranty runs out on most of them and playing dumb in the mean time. I remember in 08 some of the Yamaha Raiders had noisy lifters. Company changed supplier and swapped out all the lifters if a customer had noise complaints. No fuss no muss involved.
Ron

mchertel

Quote from: rbabos on July 18, 2017, 09:13:24 AM
Quote from: harleytuner on July 18, 2017, 07:34:11 AM

That's the key is fixing the damn things if a problem is found rather then hoping the warranty runs out on most of them and playing dumb in the mean time. I remember in 08 some of the Yamaha Raiders had noisy lifters. Company changed supplier and swapped out all the lifters if a customer had noise complaints. No fuss no muss involved.
Ron

All valid points.  So far so good on mine.  Hope it continues that way!  I also got ~$2000.00 above NADA retail value on the 2015 UL trade-in and paid $1300.00 less than MSRP on the 2017 CVO Limited.  Figured at 10-12K miles a year waiting another year or two may have hurt the trade-in value pretty bad so just went for it. 

boooby1744

Quote from: sandrooney on July 18, 2017, 04:05:02 AM
My 15 Road King is the only new Harley I have ever had that did not ping. That is why I am leaving it alone. I wouldn't trade it for 2- M8's.
So you wouldn't trade it for an M-16? :scoot:

Bike31

The bottom line for any company is sales and profit vs build cost and quality. HD's has slipped a bit per 2nd Quarter 2017 results.

Now they may pay more attention to the market as investors aren't pleased with lower revenue and projections for reduced deliveries.

I bought a 2017 Softail because I knew the warts and fixes. Next model year - ?

Gary

Kansas

HD sales are down and there are some great deals being done.  I bought a 2017 Road Glide S and love it.

dogger

I too own one of them later K model beemers as well as my old trusty carbed FLTR. As much as I am impressed with the power, handling, and features of the beemer, it would be the first to go if I had to give one up. Although I would like to update the FLTR, I'll wait on the 8.

lonegoosehonking

I have been back and forth on buying. Some great deals on low mileage twin cams. I spoke to a dealer about a new Street glide Special . First go he was all about retail. Their customer survey people called me and I told them read the articles about Harley sales dropping. Why they would stick to retail. 3 hours later I get a call from the Sales Manager. He chopped 3k off of MSRP. Asked me if that would do it. I said I want a great deal. Still in progress. Still not sure about M8 purchase VS. Twin Cam. Trying to decide.

HD/Wrench

I would wait , but what do I know.. I just work on them.. If I won a new m8 today tax free etc  it would never leave the dealership , I would ask what they offer me before they swap the title and make a deal on something else .

rbabos

Funny. Even in my parts the M8 is getting a reputation for (let's wait and see) attitude for those coming up to a new bike purchase.
Ron

lonegoosehonking

One dealer told me 18's are out August 24th. Curious to see if Harley is paying attention to any of the problems noted with the M8.

harleytuner

Quote from: lonegoosehonking on July 26, 2017, 07:22:08 AM
One dealer told me 18's are out August 24th. Curious to see if Harley is paying attention to any of the problems noted with the M8.

They're paying attention, but since it doesn't seam they have a fix for a few of the issues I don't know what changes could be made

Scooterfish

Maybe they will experiment on the early 18s with possible fixes for the 17s problems.  :potstir:
Northern Indiana

Geezer_Glider

Had a 16 ultra, put 24K on it and traded for a 17 ultra. They made me a good deal this late in the year to move out the 17 models. Got 2.5K on it and so far so good! Have had E-glides for 26 years from EVO to M8 plus a 76 shovel, all OK, some things now and then but no big problems. I usually don't change bikes this quick but thought I'd give it a try, we all can't be chicken little!
Just Saying,
R Meyer

Eglider05

Would someone sum up the problems being seen with the M8?

Thanks,
Rick

harleytuner

Quote from: Eglider05 on July 26, 2017, 04:34:59 PM
Would someone sum up the problems being seen with the M8?

Thanks,
Rick

The main ones are the oil pumps are having a hard time scavenging the oil from the bottom of the engine cases (sumping).  More so on bikes that have had performance work done (big bore kits).  Also, transmission fluid is migrating into the primary on some bikes,  seams to happen more at higher RPM's.   Starting to here more reports of the plastic throttle bodies warping.

Jacob1955

StevieRay59

Quote from: Jacob1955 on July 27, 2017, 06:20:19 AM
i would wait i wish i had

Ha. Me too. Third new motor being installed this week. 4000 miles on bike total.  :wtf:

FurryOne

Quote from: harpwrench on July 17, 2017, 03:25:40 PM

Once you've ridden an M8 bike you'd never go back to a TC - there's just that much difference!   :gob:

1FSTRK

Quote from: FurryOne on July 27, 2017, 04:39:10 PM
Quote from: harpwrench on July 17, 2017, 03:25:40 PM

Once you've ridden an M8 bike you'd never go back to a TC - there's just that much difference!   :gob:

:hyst:
I have ridden three different M-8s and then got back on my 05 Roadking and went riding. May have just got some bad ones.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Bike31

July 27, 2017, 09:29:53 PM #39 Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:36:09 PM by Bike31
What's the old quote: "never catch a falling spear"? Wait until it's stabilized was my conclusion so I got a '17 FLSTN that I know has issues and fixes for most.

Edit: I did ride an M8 Street Glide last fall for less than an hour. Not enough to really test and like all new bikes it was still learning how to behave. The flat torque curve was noticeable and it rode well. I had a '15 Street Glide Special at the time and was still happy riding home on that.

Durwood

Overall I am happy with my M8 Road Glide, the knowledge gained from the ongoing R&D is well worth the investment.

MPop

I decided to wait for new release. I've been to 3 Dealerships and the salesman at every one of them swear that they have had no complaints or issues with M8s and have never heard of "sumping".  The only problems they had heard of was the oil line leaking.  :emoGroan:

FSG

QuoteI decided to wait for new release.

:up:  wise move IMO

tmwmoose

"Plastic throttle body" jeez you gota be kidding whats next chrome plastic engine covers/trim and such ? New "Kent More tools" for the 2018 model year, 4 and 10 ounce tubes of model cement. Paper bags optional.

motorhogman

Quote from: MPop on July 30, 2017, 07:50:42 PM
I decided to wait for new release. I've been to 3 Dealerships and the salesman at every one of them swear that they have had no complaints or issues with M8s and have never heard of "sumping".  The only problems they had heard of was the oil line leaking.  :emoGroan:

You should have told them to join HTT so they can know what's going on.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

ready2ride

Got 3500 miles on my m8 and zero issues,  know lots of people with them as well and no issues either
i want a flatknuckpanshovevotwinster glider

stixvrad

Regarding plastic throttle bodies, they've been using plastic for almost the entire intake in the automotive world for some time now. I dont mind that. I DO mind that they seem to unable to help the owners  that are having the oil transfer issue.

rbabos

Quote from: stixvrad on August 01, 2017, 07:28:06 AM
Regarding plastic throttle bodies, they've been using plastic for almost the entire intake in the automotive world for some time now. I dont mind that. I DO mind that they seem to unable to help the owners  that are having the oil transfer issue.
Not sure that's the correct word.
Ron

harleytuner

Probably gets a tad warmer between the heads on a HD than on top of your water cooled car engine.  Not much airflow in there

DTTJGlide

Quote from: ready2ride on July 31, 2017, 09:32:38 AM
Got 3500 miles on my m8 and zero issues,  know lots of people with them as well and no issues either
Over 8K on my 17 RG since June 1st & no problems. I must just be lucky I had a 99 RK with 80K & no major problems, 2000 Ultra Street Glided with 110K, & 09 RG with 143K all good bikes, the last 2 I bought used as light wrecks, I must just live right.

1FSTRK

Quote from: harleytuner on August 01, 2017, 09:40:43 AM

Probably gets a tad warmer between the heads on a HD than on top of your water cooled car engine.  Not much airflow in there

:up: :up:
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Jamie Long

Quote from: harleytuner on August 01, 2017, 09:40:43 AM

Negative, composite automotive manifolds are commonly subjected to much higher temps than a typical air cooled v twin, especially when used in turbocharged applications that see double or triple the intake charge temps of an H-D.

ultraswede

The heat soak temp the inlet manifold is subjected to is propably very high on a HD.
The water cooled car engine is around 90 deg C, the cyl head temp on a hot day on a HD is a lot higher.
Turn the engine off, and the heat soak begins.

As for carge air temp on a turbo car, if  the tep is abov 90 c, the intercooler is not doing a very good job.

Bike31

Sure, like aircraft engines that boil fuel and whatever after shutdown, air-cooled engines can do the same to components if their block temps exceed water-cooled units. Running temps involve intake air temp as a cooling or heating source. Once off the snakes crawl out.

harleytuner

Quote from: ultraswede on August 01, 2017, 11:46:37 PM
The heat soak temp the inlet manifold is subjected to is propably very high on a HD.
The water cooled car engine is around 90 deg C, the cyl head temp on a hot day on a HD is a lot higher.
Turn the engine off, and the heat soak begins.

As for carge air temp on a turbo car, if  the tep is abov 90 c, the intercooler is not doing a very good job.

:up:

Jamie Long

Here is a good article on composites developed & used in automotive applications. While relative to H-D applications as we do not know the specific composition H-D is using, note the temps in this article. http://www.compositesworld.com/articles/high-temp-thermoplastics-higher-expectations

Durwood

Quote from: Jamie Long on August 02, 2017, 07:50:50 AM
Here is a good article on composites developed & used in automotive applications. While relative to H-D applications as we do not know the specific composition H-D is using, note the temps in this article. http://www.compositesworld.com/articles/high-temp-thermoplastics-higher-expectations
:up: DSM Engineering Plastics is just a few miles from my shop, right here in Evansville.

PoorUB

Late model Ford F150's use plastic valve covers. I wonder how hot the head gears right above the exhaust ports?

harleytuner

August 02, 2017, 10:28:24 AM #58 Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 10:33:47 AM by harleytuner
It's all a moot point, there are reports of them warping regardless of the material used and temps.  in some cases the material HD is using isn't holding up on the bikes.  I deal with 3 dealers local to me (all owend by the same company) and all 3 are finding issues with them.

rbabos

Quote from: harleytuner on August 02, 2017, 10:28:24 AM
It's all a moot point, there are reports of them warping regardless of the material used and temps.  in some cases the material HD is using isn't holding up on the bikes.  I deal with 3 dealers local to me (all owend by the same company) and all 3 are finding issues with them.
Real world facts beats advertising hype every time. :up:
Ron

Bike31

Where's the warping...loss of seal or impairment of moving parts? It'd be helpful to know so others can keep track of the problem areas.

harleytuner

Quote from: Bike31 on August 02, 2017, 12:06:12 PM

Where's the warping...loss of seal or impairment of moving parts? It'd be helpful to know so others can keep track of the problem areas.

Loss of seal.

sfmichael

ah yes...the trickle down effect from automotive technology to bikes   :dgust:

for me the shitty engineering / R&D is a boon to my business   $$

I'm replacing plastic crap all the time...but think of all the weight and fuel savings  :hyst:
Colorado Springs, CO.

Quote from: sfmichael on July 17, 2017, 06:09:58 PM
I'll tell you the same thing I always say - buy the newest, lowest mileage bike you can afford   :chop:

if it's got tits or tires, there's bound to be problems - but all things mechanical are fixable and we're all just blessed to be able to own and ride these turds no matter how nice they are   :beer:
For the most part I tend to agree with you but I (and others) would have to think at least twice about your laissez faire attitude when it comes to expecting the MOCO to do the right thing and "fix em". My experience with owning a good many of these "turds" as you call them over more decades than many on this thread have been alive has taught me that the MOCO has sold bikes over the years with severe engineering flaws in them and then glossed over that fact by not fixing them under their warranty. Their attitude many times is to not admit there is anything wrong. I don't want that to happen with this primary/transmission issue. If anybody asks me whether or not they should buy an M8 now I would have to tell them to wait and see how the MOCO handles the current issues. I have already bought mine and it has issues that have not been fixed yet after 15 weeks. The dealers clearly see the problem but they are powerless to do anything until the MOCO admits to the problem and offers up a fix. I am almost certain others would not agree with my position, but I expected the bike to not have any major problems when they sold it to me. I will give them an opportunity to fix their product but that is not an unlimited time frame.

sfmichael

Quote from: 96349 on August 08, 2017, 11:42:22 AM
Quote from: sfmichael on July 17, 2017, 06:09:58 PM

For the most part I tend to agree with you but I (and others) would have to think at least twice about your laissez faire attitude when it comes to expecting the MOCO to do the right thing and "fix em". My experience with owning a good many of these "turds" as you call them over more decades than many on this thread have been alive has taught me that the MOCO has sold bikes over the years with severe engineering flaws in them and then glossed over that fact by not fixing them under their warranty. Their attitude many times is to not admit there is anything wrong. I don't want that to happen with this primary/transmission issue. If anybody asks me whether or not they should buy an M8 now I would have to tell them to wait and see how the MOCO handles the current issues. I have already bought mine and it has issues that have not been fixed yet after 15 weeks. The dealers clearly see the problem but they are powerless to do anything until the MOCO admits to the problem and offers up a fix. I am almost certain others would not agree with my position, but I expected the bike to not have any major problems when they sold it to me. I will give them an opportunity to fix their product but that is not an unlimited time frame.

I hear ya...not laissez faire just a realist...and if the MOCO won't fix it I will. That being said I've stated here before, and still will, that I don't want the first year of ANYTHING. If I buy an M8 it will be in 2019 or so. I don't hold Harley to a higher standard than I would GM, Ford, or Whirlpool. The first year of anything with major revisions is usually rife with issues or problems.

Caveat Emptor
Colorado Springs, CO.

hd06myway

just talked to a friend last weekend who has a 2017 EG Ultra... loves it no issues... his wife's 2015 Fatboy had an engine problem, some gear seared off inside motor, the MOCO requested it be sent to them and they overnighted a brand new engine for her bike.  Reminder, forums are for bitching and problems.... but they are the minority in the real world.... the less than 1%'s...  :wink:

hd02us

Has anyone had a chance to ride a 2018 bike? Is the clutch engagement point the same?

banjoman2255

I had my 18 RGS delivered yesterday.  Rode it to work this morning.  It has the same clutch engagement as the 17 I test rode a few months back.  It's not that much different than my 14.  The clutch pull is lighter and engagement window is smaller.  I don't see why some folks are upset about the clutch, I feathered it just fine.

biglew55

Quote from: banjoman2255 on September 01, 2017, 06:18:01 AMI don't see why some folks are upset about the clutch, I feathered it just fine.
I thought the same thing when I test rode a 17 FLTRX and FLHTCU a few months ago.  While I wasn't "bowled over" with the new bikes, I definitely didn't have any issues with the new clutch, or any other aspect.

I have a 2015 FLHTK, and I would buy a 17 or 18 touring bike with no hesitation if something happened to my current ride, OR if I got a great deal on a new one.  But, I'm not in a rush to upgrade either.

Knowing my track record after saying things like that, I'll probably have a new one by Monday!... :emoGroan:
2020 FLHTK - 2018 BMW R1200 GSA - 1965 FLHFB
IBA #595

Hossamania

Quote from: banjoman2255 on September 01, 2017, 06:18:01 AM
I had my 18 RGS delivered yesterday.  Rode it to work this morning.  It has the same clutch engagement as the 17 I test rode a few months back.  It's not that much different than my 14.  The clutch pull is lighter and engagement window is smaller.  I don't see why some folks are upset about the clutch, I feathered it just fine.

For so.e people, they like the engagement further out. For me, I have small hands, so I tend to adjust my lever to engage closer to the handle. I ride friends' bikes, and don't always like their adjustment being out so far, and they don't like mine so close. That for me is the tough part of the hydraulic clutch, no adjustment.
Having said that, I haven't ridden the new bikes with the hydraulic clutch, so I have no input on that particular setup.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

banjoman2255

Hoss the new clutch engagement is at the very end so you may not be a big fan.  I'm 6'2 with big hands so maybe I don't notice as much.

Grayrider

So, here we are, Sept 1 and the new models are out. New Softails all with 107 or 114 engines.
Are they still having the same problems or have they rectified them?
Have they fixed anything?
Was in the show room yesterday.
Blacked out Heritage , very little chrome,  pipes are plain, did not impress me.
Fatboy looks much better but a lot less on it. Fat tires and rims but no windshield, bags or highway lights. All optional. Another 3 grand if you want them.
I'm Sexy – I Ride a Harley – I can't Help It!

harleytuner

2018 CVO stage I tune, transferred 10 0z. Of trans fluid

Hossamania

Quote from: Grayrider on September 01, 2017, 03:00:57 PM

Fatboy looks much better but a lot less on it. Fat tires and rims but no windshield, bags or highway lights. All optional. Another 3 grand if you want them.

The Fatboy never had a shield, bags or passing lamps.

hd02us

Looking to purchase a 2018 FLHR. For those with a 2017 or new 2018 would you still buy your current bike or a low mileage 2016?

Durwood

Quote from: hd02us on September 02, 2017, 02:49:21 PM
Looking to purchase a 2018 FLHR. For those with a 2017 or new 2018 would you still buy your current bike or a low mileage 2016?
I am glad I bought my 2017 Roadglide, and yes I would do it again.

FSG

Well the 2018s do have new exhaust studs   :chop:

Ohio HD

I thought the 2017's had the new stud too?   

FSG

I should have said newer   :SM:   the 18s are the A revision of the 17s

Ohio HD

biglew55

Quote from: biglew55 on September 01, 2017, 06:26:23 AM
I thought the same thing when I test rode a 17 FLTRX and FLHTCU a few months ago.  While I wasn't "bowled over" with the new bikes, I definitely didn't have any issues with the new clutch, or any other aspect.

I have a 2015 FLHTK, and I would buy a 17 or 18 touring bike with no hesitation if something happened to my current ride, OR if I got a great deal on a new one.  But, I'm not in a rush to upgrade either.

Knowing my track record after saying things like that, I'll probably have a new one by Monday!... :emoGroan:
For the record, and probably risking threadjacking, but I test rode a FLHTKSE and FLHTK (both 2018s) on Saturday morning.  By Saturday afternoon, I had an reasonable deal in hand, and am waiting for 2 other dealers to decide if they want in on the action.  I probably will have a new FLHTK by the end of the week...
:koolaid: :emoGroan:
IBA #595

krwson

Quote from: banjoman2255 on September 01, 2017, 06:18:01 AMI don't see why some folks are upset about the clutch, I feathered it just fine.

Anxious to hear what a great deal is ? :nix:

biglew55

Quote from: krwson on September 04, 2017, 06:58:59 AM

Sorry to disappoint, but I don't discuss my personal finances with the general public.  My friend was there (one of my closest), and I even asked him to leave while I talked to the salesman.  It probably wouldn't be relevant to anyone else as I'm trading two bikes for one.

I haven't inked the deal, but I have it in writing, and the base deal (we haven't discussed accessories or warranty) is very fair.  It's likely that I ink something by the end of the week, but not before doing some comparison shopping.
IBA #595

Jadoca

Quote from: biglew55 on September 04, 2017, 07:42:52 AM
Quote from: krwson on September 04, 2017, 06:58:59 AM

Sorry to disappoint, but I don't discuss my personal finances with the general public.  My friend was there (one of my closest), and I even asked him to leave while I talked to the salesman.  It probably wouldn't be relevant to anyone else as I'm trading two bikes for one.

I haven't inked the deal, but I have it in writing, and the base deal (we haven't discussed accessories or warranty) is very fair.  It's likely that I ink something by the end of the week, but not before doing some comparison shopping.
You must be a real high roller high finance guy... Funniest thing I've read  maybe ever lol.  Ink it before that pen drys out.

biglew55

Quote from: Jadoca on September 04, 2017, 10:46:21 PM
You must be a real high roller high finance guy... Funniest thing I've read  maybe ever lol.  Ink it before that pen drys out.
Nope, just don't think it matters to anyone else what I spend or how I do it.

I plan to ink it today, but I have it in writing sitting here by my computer.

Oh, and you might try reading more...but that's probably none of my business... :idunno:
IBA #595

hd02us

Is the 2018 FLHR exactly the same as the 2017 other than paint?

hattitude

Quote from: biglew55 on September 05, 2017, 05:08:32 AM

Then why even mention you got a good deal....!?! 

Saying you got a good deal, without the details, is nothing more than an unsubstantiated boast...

You ought to follow your own advice...

biglew55

Quote from: hattitude on September 05, 2017, 07:54:44 AM

Saying you got a good deal, without the details, is nothing more than an unsubstantiated boast...

I was only committing my opinion to the original question of the thread, or are you just here to debate my finances?  The deal is nothing special.  I compared what they offered me on trade to NADA, and what they wanted for their bike compared to the base MSRP.  analyzing those numbers, I feel they gave me a good deal.

The real reason for my original post was to offer an opinion on whether the OP should buy a 2018 or wait.  I added a quip about how I was going to wait.

The reason for my second post was only to show how quickly sentiment (at least mine) can change when presented with a reasonable deal.

The reason for my third post was only to explain that it was less about the deal and more about how I changed my mind and decided to buy a new 2018.

I'm not sure why I'm bothering with this post, but now you have an itemized list of my posts, and for what good will it do you?

P.S., my local dealer just matched the numbers from the other dealer.

P.S.S. I'm only posting that to illustrate that the deal, while I consider it good, isn't like they're giving bikes away...

:hug:
IBA #595

Jadoca

Quote from: biglew55 on September 05, 2017, 09:02:12 AM
Quote from: hattitude on September 05, 2017, 07:54:44 AM

I was only committing my opinion to the original question of the thread, or are you just here to debate my finances?  The deal is nothing special.  I compared what they offered me on trade to NADA, and what they wanted for their bike compared to the base MSRP.  analyzing those numbers, I feel they gave me a good deal.

The real reason for my original post was to offer an opinion on whether the OP should buy a 2018 or wait.  I added a quip about how I was going to wait.

The reason for my second post was only to show how quickly sentiment (at least mine) can change when presented with a reasonable deal.

The reason for my third post was only to explain that it was less about the deal and more about how I changed my mind and decided to buy a new 2018.

I'm not sure why I'm bothering with this post, but now you have an itemized list of my posts, and for what good will it do you?

P.S., my local dealer just matched the numbers from the other dealer.

P.S.S. I'm only posting that to illustrate that the deal, while I consider it good, isn't like they're giving bikes away...

:hug:
I don't want to hear about your labor pains show us the baby.  Post up your PO.   You can do it.

04 SE Deuce

Jadoca,  2 posts in your lack of time here shows.

Hossamania

If Biglew did post his deal, at least one person would come back and say it is not that good of a price, that his brother got that same bike for half that price, they gave him the original purchase price on his ten year old trade in, they threw in two new leather jackets, and free extended warranty for the life of the bike. It is a no win situation.
If you don't believe me, post up what you paid for your bike, and at least two others will post a much better deal telling you that you got ripped off.

Scooterfish

Hoss can you post the dealership your brother got the smokin deal from. :potstir: Wait I need to go back and read your post again.  :emoGroan:   :hyst:
Northern Indiana

Reddog74usa

Jadoca = TROLL

We don't take kindly to yer kind in this town. Adiose amigo
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Hossamania

September 05, 2017, 01:17:06 PM #93 Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 01:25:11 PM by Hossamania
Quote from: Reddog74usa on September 05, 2017, 12:32:38 PM
Jadoca = TROLL

Hattitude was a little excited too, but I think Biglew can handle it.

Hossamania

biglew55

IBA #595

Hossamania

BJB

The dealer (different ownership that moved from AZ to Anoka Co) I bought my '13 FLTRU talked up the M-8s and said they would only let me take a test ride IF I had signed a PA that would be valid if I wrecked the bike. Claimed they no longer offer test rides unless they are protected and that the MoCo factory truck visits are very rare.
Insulted me on what my '13 was worth.. Never got a cash price on a new FLTRU. Then again I offered my views on comps, lifters, pinon run out, 88 cam chain tensioners, etc, & having customers be the Beta testers. Never even bothered digging into M-8 specific issues because they looked me straight in the eye and said there are absolutely no problems with the new motor. Did say they had 1 CVO grenade. Period.
I think they saw me as a hieratic . Oh well...

Hydroman

Quote from: Hossamania on September 05, 2017, 11:59:11 AM
If Biglew did post his deal, at least one person would come back and say it is not that good of a price, that his brother got that same bike for half that price, they gave him the original purchase price on his ten year old trade in, they threw in two new leather jackets, and free extended warranty for the life of the bike. It is a no win situation.
If you don't believe me, post up what you paid for your bike, and at least two others will post a much better deal telling you that you got ripped off.

$37,249 2012 CVO Ultra. Now worth $17,000 on trade. 22,000 miles. Third engine. Gotta love HD.
Basking in the wake of mediocore achievment

lonegoosehonking

Just got a quote on a 2018 Street Glide Special Twisted Cherry color. $28, 800.00 Not sure how I feel about that. :sheep:

Jadoca

Jadoca = TROLL

Western movies are great ....

Hossamania

Quote from: Jadoca on September 06, 2017, 10:00:05 AM
Jadoca = TROLL

Western movies are great ....

Now that's funny!

sfmichael

Quote from: BJB on September 05, 2017, 03:07:15 PM
The dealer (different ownership that moved from AZ to Anoka Co) I bought my '13 FLTRU talked up the M-8s and said they would only let me take a test ride IF I had signed a PA that would be valid if I wrecked the bike. Claimed they no longer offer test rides unless they are protected and that the MoCo factory truck visits are very rare.
Insulted me on what my '13 was worth.. Never got a cash price on a new FLTRU. Then again I offered my views on comps, lifters, pinon run out, 88 cam chain tensioners, etc, & having customers be the Beta testers. Never even bothered digging into M-8 specific issues because they looked me straight in the eye and said there are absolutely no problems with the new motor. Did say they had 1 CVO grenade. Period.
I think they saw me as a hieratic . Oh well...

All too common...I know they need to make money but many dealers feel they have to kill it on the used bike too.
I would have bought a few more if I could have gotten a FAIR trade for a used one. Not looking for retail but...geez.
Guess they don't need the business
Colorado Springs, CO.

BigT

Traded my 2012 FLHTK for a 2017 Street Glide Special. New bike handles so much better.

Hossamania

Quote from: BigT on September 08, 2017, 06:47:57 PM
Traded my 2012 FLHTK for a 2017 Street Glide Special. New bike handles so much better.

Hmm, I own a 2012 FLHTK. I might have to talk with the wife about making a deal.
Although, it handles well enough since it is long ago bought and paid for.

rsbjt1

Just traded in my 2013 EG classic to a year end 2017 limited M8. So far extremely happy with my decision. Rides and handles better but I only have 1500 miles on it.

OldBogie

Quote from: Rockout Rocker Products on July 16, 2017, 07:59:14 PM
With the 18's coming out in a month I don't see any reason to jump now. Prices on 17's have nowhere to go but down.

Given Harley's propensity to beta test on the customer, evidence the shovel and twin cam, I'd wait about 6 years. But then there is the Evo that came out pretty good then developed more problems as they exercised design for cost reduction engineering over the following years.

Frankly I'm still PO'ed over my shovel purchase of nearly 50 years ago and again the Twin Cam of 17 years ago. The shovel was an every ride fight for its entire life at least the Twin Cam was fixed with a bunch of S&S parts and has stayed that way; it has proven to be a durable and pleasant ride. My evo was a 1989 it trucked right along with no surprises.

Bogie

Bogie

HarryT

On my second M8, totaled a Street Glide with 6000 miles and no problems, Just got a Road Glide Ultra ,3500 off the price tag, its a 2017 not to say that there will not have some loose screws , antifreeze overflowed with the first 75 mile ride, that's why you need two Harleys , one to ride  and one to work on
2015 RGS,110,777,FM2/1/2,PVT,BIG LOUIE,SE AC 
2017 RGU---bone stock

1workinman

Quote from: HarryT on September 26, 2017, 12:45:22 PM
On my second M8, totaled a Street Glide with 6000 miles and no problems, Just got a Road Glide Ultra ,3500 off the price tag, its a 2017 not to say that there will not have some loose screws , antifreeze overflowed with the first 75 mile ride, that's why you need two Harleys , one to ride  and one to work on
That the damn truth .

flh canuck

I traded my slightly warmed up 2013 Road King (Andrews 57h, Powervision, Rhinehart header pipe etc.) in on a 2018 Ultra Limited two weeks ago. That was after a lot of tire kicking and humming and hawing as well as waiting to see how the 17s worked out with the new engine design.

This is new Harley number 6 for me over the past twenty years which includes two previous Electraglides, one Fatboy and one Roadking. All were twin cams and I put a lot of miles on my motorcycles. I think I have a pretty good idea of how Harleys typically ride and handle, and I am well acquainted with some of their shortcomings.

My thoughts: The new Milwaukee 8 engine and suspension are just better in every sense of the word. The engine makes tons of torque right off idle and pulls like a freight train right through 4500 rpm which is the range that I typically ride in. The engine also has a completely different sound and feel to it. I like the fact that it idles at a lower speed which is a factor but compared to my old twin cam, it sounds like a big block Chevy vs a small block Chevy if you know what I mean. The Ultra Limited is also twin-cooled. The mechanic side of me really likes that feature as the wife and I like to tour down into the south western states often. My previous air-oil cooled twin cams would get cranky when the temperatures get upwards of 100 degrees. I am hoping the twin-cooled engine will be able to handle the high temps better, especially when stuck in traffic etc. I definitely notice a significant reduction in heat coming of the engine itself now. Part of that is likely due to the heat shield at the rear of the engine etc. but when the fans come on and blow hot air out the sides of the lowers, that is heat that is no longer cooking my thighs which is pretty nice.

The new suspension just plain works. On my Road King, I installed progressive cartridges in the front forks and was always adjusting the rear air shocks trying to get a bike that road and handled well. The new suspension on the 2018 works great right out of the box. Nice and smooth on the bumps but feels planted and solid when pushed at higher speeds and going into corners.

While there are no major changes compared to earlier twin-cams, my impression is that Harley Davidson did a lot of massaging of the little things that all add up to a near perfect ride in my opinion. This is the first Harley I have owned that may actually remain stock as it really does run and ride that nice out of the box. I look forward to riding this new motorcycle absolutely every chance I get and it puts a smile on my face every time. That my friends, is priceless....
2018 Ultra Limited. Back in black!

harleytuner

Quote from: flh canuck on October 13, 2017, 12:22:22 PM

The new suspension just plain works. On my Road King, I installed progressive cartridges in the front forks and was always adjusting the rear air shocks trying to get a bike that road and handled well. The new suspension on the 2018 works great right out of the box. Nice and smooth on the bumps but feels planted and solid when pushed at higher speeds and going into corners.

We can thank Aaron for the suspension as he helped design it.  He doesn't post much anymore.