April 30, 2024, 10:50:09 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Buy M8 now or wait ?

Started by MPop, July 16, 2017, 07:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogger

I too own one of them later K model beemers as well as my old trusty carbed FLTR. As much as I am impressed with the power, handling, and features of the beemer, it would be the first to go if I had to give one up. Although I would like to update the FLTR, I'll wait on the 8.

lonegoosehonking

I have been back and forth on buying. Some great deals on low mileage twin cams. I spoke to a dealer about a new Street glide Special . First go he was all about retail. Their customer survey people called me and I told them read the articles about Harley sales dropping. Why they would stick to retail. 3 hours later I get a call from the Sales Manager. He chopped 3k off of MSRP. Asked me if that would do it. I said I want a great deal. Still in progress. Still not sure about M8 purchase VS. Twin Cam. Trying to decide.

HD/Wrench

I would wait , but what do I know.. I just work on them.. If I won a new m8 today tax free etc  it would never leave the dealership , I would ask what they offer me before they swap the title and make a deal on something else .

rbabos

Funny. Even in my parts the M8 is getting a reputation for (let's wait and see) attitude for those coming up to a new bike purchase.
Ron

lonegoosehonking

One dealer told me 18's are out August 24th. Curious to see if Harley is paying attention to any of the problems noted with the M8.

harleytuner

Quote from: lonegoosehonking on July 26, 2017, 07:22:08 AM
One dealer told me 18's are out August 24th. Curious to see if Harley is paying attention to any of the problems noted with the M8.

They're paying attention, but since it doesn't seam they have a fix for a few of the issues I don't know what changes could be made

Scooterfish

Maybe they will experiment on the early 18s with possible fixes for the 17s problems.  :potstir:
Northern Indiana

Geezer_Glider

Had a 16 ultra, put 24K on it and traded for a 17 ultra. They made me a good deal this late in the year to move out the 17 models. Got 2.5K on it and so far so good! Have had E-glides for 26 years from EVO to M8 plus a 76 shovel, all OK, some things now and then but no big problems. I usually don't change bikes this quick but thought I'd give it a try, we all can't be chicken little!
Just Saying,
R Meyer

Eglider05

Would someone sum up the problems being seen with the M8?

Thanks,
Rick

harleytuner

Quote from: Eglider05 on July 26, 2017, 04:34:59 PM
Would someone sum up the problems being seen with the M8?

Thanks,
Rick

The main ones are the oil pumps are having a hard time scavenging the oil from the bottom of the engine cases (sumping).  More so on bikes that have had performance work done (big bore kits).  Also, transmission fluid is migrating into the primary on some bikes,  seams to happen more at higher RPM's.   Starting to here more reports of the plastic throttle bodies warping.

Jacob1955

StevieRay59

Quote from: Jacob1955 on July 27, 2017, 06:20:19 AM
i would wait i wish i had

Ha. Me too. Third new motor being installed this week. 4000 miles on bike total.  :wtf:

FurryOne

Quote from: harpwrench on July 17, 2017, 03:25:40 PM
I'd buy a leftover new '16  :scoot:

Once you've ridden an M8 bike you'd never go back to a TC - there's just that much difference!   :gob:

1FSTRK

Quote from: FurryOne on July 27, 2017, 04:39:10 PM
Quote from: harpwrench on July 17, 2017, 03:25:40 PM
I'd buy a leftover new '16  :scoot:

Once you've ridden an M8 bike you'd never go back to a TC - there's just that much difference!   :gob:

:hyst:
I have ridden three different M-8s and then got back on my 05 Roadking and went riding. May have just got some bad ones.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

Bike31

July 27, 2017, 09:29:53 PM #39 Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:36:09 PM by Bike31
What's the old quote: "never catch a falling spear"? Wait until it's stabilized was my conclusion so I got a '17 FLSTN that I know has issues and fixes for most.

Edit: I did ride an M8 Street Glide last fall for less than an hour. Not enough to really test and like all new bikes it was still learning how to behave. The flat torque curve was noticeable and it rode well. I had a '15 Street Glide Special at the time and was still happy riding home on that.

Durwood

Overall I am happy with my M8 Road Glide, the knowledge gained from the ongoing R&D is well worth the investment.

MPop

I decided to wait for new release. I've been to 3 Dealerships and the salesman at every one of them swear that they have had no complaints or issues with M8s and have never heard of "sumping".  The only problems they had heard of was the oil line leaking.  :emoGroan:

FSG

QuoteI decided to wait for new release.

:up:  wise move IMO

tmwmoose

"Plastic throttle body" jeez you gota be kidding whats next chrome plastic engine covers/trim and such ? New "Kent More tools" for the 2018 model year, 4 and 10 ounce tubes of model cement. Paper bags optional.

motorhogman

Quote from: MPop on July 30, 2017, 07:50:42 PM
I decided to wait for new release. I've been to 3 Dealerships and the salesman at every one of them swear that they have had no complaints or issues with M8s and have never heard of "sumping".  The only problems they had heard of was the oil line leaking.  :emoGroan:

You should have told them to join HTT so they can know what's going on.
where's the points and condenser ?<br />Tom / aka motor

ready2ride

Got 3500 miles on my m8 and zero issues,  know lots of people with them as well and no issues either
i want a flatknuckpanshovevotwinster glider

stixvrad

Regarding plastic throttle bodies, they've been using plastic for almost the entire intake in the automotive world for some time now. I dont mind that. I DO mind that they seem to unable to help the owners  that are having the oil transfer issue.

rbabos

Quote from: stixvrad on August 01, 2017, 07:28:06 AM
Regarding plastic throttle bodies, they've been using plastic for almost the entire intake in the automotive world for some time now. I dont mind that. I DO mind that they seem to unable to help the owners  that are having the oil transfer issue.
Not sure that's the correct word.
Ron

harleytuner

Quote from: stixvrad on August 01, 2017, 07:28:06 AM

Probably gets a tad warmer between the heads on a HD than on top of your water cooled car engine.  Not much airflow in there

DTTJGlide

Quote from: ready2ride on July 31, 2017, 09:32:38 AM
Got 3500 miles on my m8 and zero issues,  know lots of people with them as well and no issues either
Over 8K on my 17 RG since June 1st & no problems. I must just be lucky I had a 99 RK with 80K & no major problems, 2000 Ultra Street Glided with 110K, & 09 RG with 143K all good bikes, the last 2 I bought used as light wrecks, I must just live right.