What do I do to get better sound on a 2013 Ultra

Started by eglideic, August 13, 2017, 07:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eglideic

I have a 2013 Ultra and would like better sound, but have a very thin wallet.
I don't want to change the radio at all. I just need a good economical 4 channel amp and rear speakers. I only want rear speakers because I do have Titan II 100 RMS 4 ohm 6.5 speakers in the front.
I have no problem buying a good used amp from someone that replaced it with a BIIG BUCK system.
Thanks.

phillyfan

Sounstream pn4 1000d amp. Can find them used once in a while. New I've seen them around $150, sometimes even lower.

Throw another set of the Titans in the back and it will scream with that amp. However the HU is going to limit the system big time.

When I was planning my build I wanted to keep the stock HU. I spoke to Alex (Haze) at BAL and he told me the same thing. HU will hold me back for what I want out of my system. I saved and saved until I was able to do it with a new HU and I am glad I did. 80mph I can hear every symbol, vocal, drum beat. Clean power and tuned properly is what its all about. Its served me well, this winter it will be swapped out for PA speakers and some extra stuff
'09RG. S&S 106, Drago2, CR 575.
Too much $$ into audio

eglideic

Quote from: phillyfan on August 14, 2017, 09:53:36 AM
Sounstream pn4 1000d amp. Can find them used once in a while. New I've seen them around $150, sometimes even lower.

Throw another set of the Titans in the back and it will scream with that amp. However the HU is going to limit the system big time.

When I was planning my build I wanted to keep the stock HU. I spoke to Alex (Haze) at BAL and he told me the same thing. HU will hold me back for what I want out of my system. I saved and saved until I was able to do it with a new HU and I am glad I did. 80mph I can hear every symbol, vocal, drum beat. Clean power and tuned properly is what its all about. Its served me well, this winter it will be swapped out for PA speakers and some extra stuff

I decided to bite the bullet and get a Biketronics BT4180 Amp.
I called Biketronics today and the guy told me they don't have any speakers for my 2013 Ultra rear speaker pods.
He told me to buy some Alpine 6 1/2" speakers, BUT I can't find any adapter rings for the REAR speaker pods.
Ten thousand people make rings for the fairing, but I can't find any for the rear pods. Anyone know of any?

Leed

I'm not sure but I don't think you need the rings for the rear pods.   :idunno:

eglideic

Quote from: Leed on August 17, 2017, 07:59:00 AM
I'm not sure but I don't think you need the rings for the rear pods.   :idunno:

The original speakers are 5 1/4", so I would think adapter rings would be required.
I did find that V-Twin Audio makes them. With shipping they would be about $110. just for the rings and grills.
I guess nothing is cheap anymore.

phillyfan

I would call and talk to Alex at Bagger Audio Lab. He will set you up right with everything you need
'09RG. S&S 106, Drago2, CR 575.
Too much $$ into audio

eglideic

Quote from: phillyfan on August 17, 2017, 11:53:29 AM
I would call and talk to Alex at Bagger Audio Lab. He will set you up right with everything you need

He doesn't have a working web site that I can find, but just the business name scares the hell out of me.
I'm guessing if I don't have $2800. to spend, (just $280. is a lot of money to me) he won't even talk to me.

Leed

Sorry about the mistake on the speaker rings.

Why not just replace the rear speakers with a much better speaker of the same size?

Crutchfield has a huge selection of speakers that will fit plus they'll provide anything else you might need to install them.

https://www.crutchfield.com/g_400/All-Car-Speakers.html?tp=105&l=J&pg=1

UltraNutZ

Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

eglideic

Quote from: UltraNutZ on August 20, 2017, 03:00:11 PM
Infinity 62.11 fit perfectly and sound great

I doubt they will fit in the 2013 and earlier 5 1/4 inch speaker pods and they aren't rated for the Biketronics 4180 amp I plan to use.

UltraNutZ

Hehe..  they fit PERFECTLY and they work VERY WELL with the 4180.  But you seem to have already made up your mind.  😁

eglideic

Quote from: UltraNutZ on August 20, 2017, 03:42:45 PM
Hehe..  they fit PERFECTLY and they work VERY WELL with the 4180.  But you seem o have already made up your mind.  😁

No. I read the specs.  I read that the speakers were only rated at 75 RMS watts and the 4180 is supposedly rated at 180 RMS watts.

Did I get bogus info?  If these speakers are compatible, I'm in.

UltraNutZ

Old enough to remember Mikey?  Try it, you might like it.

eglideic

Quote from: UltraNutZ on August 20, 2017, 03:54:47 PM
Old enough to remember Mikey?  Try it, you might like it.

Yes I remember those cereal commercials.
But your sure these will fit in those 2013 and older 5 1/4" pods. I tried to squeeze some 5 1/4"" JL Audio speakers in there and they would not fit, no way, and they were 5 1/4" speakers. Just no room for them.

UltraNutZ

Yes sir.  Perfectly means perfectly.  Most choose to use CVO grills with them but you may like the infinity grills.  Esp. since CVO grills are about $30 each.

eglideic

Quote from: UltraNutZ on August 20, 2017, 04:04:12 PM
Yes sir.  Perfectly means perfectly.  Most choose to use CVO grills with them but you may like the infinity grills.  Esp. since CVO grills are about $30 each.

I'm going shopping for some Infinity speakers. You think Best Buy would have them?

r0de_runr

Just in case...

I stopped trying to chase good quality sound and switched to blootooth headset from my Samsung S5 Android connected to Amazon Prime Music. Millions of songs and it helps cut out the wind noise as well.  Battery lasts for several days.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-HBS-770-Wireless-Stereo-Headset/dp/B01EKDVHZY/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_107_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KBJM08XH1C92Y7KS3MH1
Teach your son to ride, shoot and always speak the truth.

eglideic

Quote from: r0de_runr on August 20, 2017, 07:06:51 PM
Just in case...

I stopped trying to chase good quality sound and switched to blootooth headset from my Samsung S5 Android connected to Amazon Prime Music. Millions of songs and it helps cut out the wind noise as well.  Battery lasts for several days.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-HBS-770-Wireless-Stereo-Headset/dp/B01EKDVHZY/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_107_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KBJM08XH1C92Y7KS3MH1

Forget it. You can keep your high tech garbage

eglideic

Quote from: UltraNutZ on August 20, 2017, 04:04:12 PM

I know very little about Harley CVO models. What year and model of Harley CVO bikes have these special grills?

UltraNutZ

76000065 is the HD part number.  you'll need 2.

eglideic

Quote from: UltraNutZ on August 21, 2017, 03:55:19 PM
76000065 is the HD part number.  you'll need 2.

What year and what model of CVO bikes have these?

UltraNutZ

eglideic

Quote from: UltraNutZ on August 21, 2017, 04:46:28 PM
up to and including 2013 models.

My very first statement was I don't know much about the CVO bikes. What models? If you don't know, just say so. No need to be ashamed.

eglideic

Quote from: UltraNutZ on August 21, 2017, 04:46:28 PM
up to and including 2013 models.

I tell you what. Just name one particular bike that you know has these grills.  Like a 20** CVO Road King, or whatever it may be.

UltraNutZ

August 21, 2017, 05:15:27 PM #24 Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 05:36:51 PM by UltraNutZ
Haha..  You trying to be an ass or am I'm reading too much into your statements?

ANY CVO MODEL WITH AUDIO FROM at least 2006 (maybe before) TO 2013.  Lowers and/or rear pods all use same grills.