April 30, 2024, 09:20:36 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Sumping again....with the NEW Oil pump

Started by JB2017CVO, November 04, 2017, 11:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytuner

Quote from: randyman on November 06, 2017, 08:02:33 PM
What are the symptoms of sumping?  I have 4000 miles on mine.

Excessive heat and loss of power (engine laboring to spool up)  are the main indicators. 

les

Quote from: harleytuner on November 07, 2017, 05:19:14 AM

Excessive heat and loss of power (engine laboring to spool up)  are the main indicators.

I've seen as much as a 25 HP loss due to wet sumping on the dyno sheets.  A specific case was when the oil pump sumping tube o-rings was installed wrong, causing a cut in the o-ring.  The before and after dyno runs showed that the sumping caused around 25 HP loss.  Heat and a dragging ass engine.

harleytuner

Quote from: les on November 07, 2017, 02:01:32 PM
Quote from: harleytuner on November 07, 2017, 05:19:14 AM

I've seen as much as a 25 HP loss due to wet sumping on the dyno sheets.  A specific case was when the oil pump sumping tube o-rings was installed wrong, causing a cut in the o-ring.  The before and after dyno runs showed that the sumping caused around 25 HP loss.  Heat and a dragging ass engine.

I've seen it multiple times on my dyno as well.  It's usually pretty obvious. 

koko3052

"Harley is sending down one of their engineers AGAIN to look at my bike..."

Maybe they should someone down to ACTUALLY FIX IT! :nix:

harleytuner

Quote from: koko3052 on November 07, 2017, 02:44:39 PM
"Harley is sending down one of their engineers AGAIN to look at my bike..."

Maybe they should someone down to ACTUALLY FIX IT! :nix:

Good news, if its sumping less than 6 oz (from three CPS hole) there's nothing wrong with it!

klammer76

Quote from: rbabos on November 04, 2017, 04:09:22 PM
Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 04, 2017, 03:43:01 PM
If your production product does not meet specs, change the specs. After all you are the MOCO
They are becoming the  :hyst: stock of the industry.
They sure are working at it with sumping and trans oil transfer issues they can't or won't  resolve. Personally, I think they are playing dumb avoiding responsibility and costs.
Ron
I don't know what is going on with this Company anymore. I know they have had problems in the past but it just seems there was no adequate testing of the M8 prior to release. It just seems that there is no leadership from the top down. Christ, I read of these problems and it makes me sick that they can't figure them out especially when they are on kits they are offering. It's completely disgusting. To the OP, I feel sorry for all the problems you and others have had. And the dealers just keep saying "haven't heard of any issues" (yes, I have been told that). What a joke.
klammer

FSG

they learnt nothing from the TC sumping issues, trying to scavenge the cam chest and the mini sump with the one gerotor, Dan Thayer showed them how to do it, but they took no notice   :emsad:

hd06

harleytuner

I have the updated SB sitting on my desk and I just shake my head at it.  This issue has been going on and they still shipped the 2018's with the 114's with the same shitty oil pump.  And then double the spec on the amount.  That just tells me that the majority of the bikes coming onto the dealers are sumping more than the original 3 oz but less than 6 oz.  So in order to cut warranty repair costs the just raise the spec.  Total BS, it's crank runout all over again. They started out saying trans fluid migration is normal for 5oz in 5,000 miles.  Steve Cole can't go 90 miles on his without having to add trans fluid, after having his bike for the better part of a year they told him to come get it, it's fine and they will be updated the service manuals to say the migration is normal. He refused the pickup and it's all in the lawyers hands at this point.

I love(d) HD, I make make living working on them.  This road that they are taking will be their demise if they stay on it.  This is what happens when you care more about pleasing your shareholders than putting out a good product.

I'm sure the aftermarket will step up to the plate and come up with a fix, then in true HD fashion they'll copy the design. 

klammer76

Quote from: harleytuner on November 08, 2017, 04:12:29 AM
I have the updated SB sitting on my desk and I just shake my head at it.  This issue has been going on and they still shipped the 2018's with the 114's with the same shitty oil pump.  And then double the spec on the amount.  That just tells me that the majority of the bikes coming onto the dealers are sumping more than the original 3 oz but less than 6 oz.  So in order to cut warranty repair costs the just raise the spec.  Total BS, it's crank runout all over again. They started out saying trans fluid migration is normal for 5oz in 5,000 miles.  Steve Cole can't go 90 miles on his without having to add trans fluid, after having his bike for the better part of a year they told him to come get it, it's fine and they will be updated the service manuals to say the migration is normal. He refused the pickup and it's all in the lawyers hands at this point.

I love(d) HD, I make make living working on them.  This road that they are taking will be their demise if they stay on it.  This is what happens when you care more about pleasing your shareholders than putting out a good product.

I'm sure the aftermarket will step up to the plate and come up with a fix, then in true HD fashion they'll copy the design.

I agree. Very sad but also very true.

rich1

So why are some sumping and some not? If the oil pump is a faulty design, and it must be for them to be on a 3rd version, why are they not all sumping? Just luck? Difference in tolerances? Alignment?  Or maybe worst case they are all sumping to an extent and the owners are not aware of it.

rbabos

Quote from: rich1 on November 08, 2017, 07:38:43 AM
So why are some sumping and some not? If the oil pump is a faulty design, and it must be for them to be on a 3rd version, why are they not all sumping? Just luck? Difference in tolerances? Alignment?  Or maybe worst case they are all sumping to an extent and the owners are not aware of it.
Pretty much. We all know HD and tolerance can't be used in the same sentence. If they added the missing pieces needed for this pump design , tolerance would be less of an issue.
Ron

Hossamania

Are a lot of them sumping, but people don't realize it? Most don't run over 3000 rpm's, and certainly not to the limiter. They might be sumping but think it's just normal operation because they don't know any better.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

harleytuner

Quote from: Hossamania on November 08, 2017, 11:18:57 AM
Are a lot of them sumping, but people don't realize it? Most don't run over 3000 rpm's, and certainly not to the limiter. They might be sumping but think it's just normal operation because they don't know any better.

I think that's the case Hoss.  It's really prevalent in the 114's, i've seen it on every HD 114 kit i've tuned and trans fluid migration as well on every M8 period so far.  That's 14 M* touring bikes to date, 5 of them with 114" kits.

1FSTRK

I doubt any of the engineers that are at HD now were around 20 years ago when this same sumping problem held up the release of the Twin cam engines. You would think someone could have left a cheat sheet for the next group. The ratio between the oil delivered to the bottom end and the diameter of the return hole in the flywheel compartment was found through testing on the road and on the dyno. With no app on their phones and no sumping simulator program taught in college or available to buy it is hard for them to improve on a design when they do not truly understand how it works.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

harleytuner

Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 08, 2017, 12:41:50 PM
I doubt any of the engineers that are at HD now were around 20 years ago when this same sumping problem held up the release of the Twin cam engines. You would think someone could have left a cheat sheet for the next group. The ratio between the oil delivered to the bottom end and the diameter of the return hole in the flywheel compartment was found through testing on the road and on the dyno. With no app on their phones and no sumping simulator program taught in college or available to buy it is hard for them to improve on a design when they do not truly understand how it works.

I don't know as i'm buying into the return hole being to small.  I think their updated oilpump is a bandaid on a larger issue.  Only reason I say this is I personally haven't seen any sumping issues with stock oil pump on big bore kits other than factory HD kits.  I've tested a few without issue.  I had one in with a HD 114" kit that sumped, HD didn't cover it as he had a tuner and a bunch of atfermarket stuff (headwork, Wood's cams, Bassani exhaust AC etc.) the only thing HD on it was the 114" kit.  Since it was his dime and his cylinders and pistons were scored and he opted to replace the 114" kit with an aftermarket one and it didn't sump.  We never even went into the cam chest.  Last I heard from him he was 6k miles and no issues (other than trans fluid migration).

1FSTRK

Quote from: harleytuner on November 08, 2017, 01:43:30 PM

I don't know as i'm buying into the return hole being to small.  I think their updated oilpump is a bandaid on a larger issue.  Only reason I say this is I personally haven't seen any sumping issues with stock oil pump on big bore kits other than factory HD kits.  I've tested a few without issue.  I had one in with a HD 114" kit that sumped, HD didn't cover it as he had a tuner and a bunch of atfermarket stuff (headwork, Wood's cams, Bassani exhaust AC etc.) the only thing HD on it was the 114" kit.  Since it was his dime and his cylinders and pistons were scored and he opted to replace the 114" kit with an aftermarket one and it didn't sump.  We never even went into the cam chest.  Last I heard from him he was 6k miles and no issues (other than trans fluid migration).

I did not say the hole was to small, too big of a hole caused just as much trouble. My point is that it is a balanced system and if you through one thing off it stops working properly.

Are you saying the blow by from the HD big bore was the cause and the new aftermarket cylinders and pistons were the cure?

rich1

Quote from: harleytuner on November 08, 2017, 12:04:16 PM

I think that's the case Hoss.  It's really prevalent in the 114's, i've seen it on every HD 114 kit i've tuned and trans fluid migration as well on every M8 period so far.  That's 14 M* touring bikes to date, 5 of them with 114" kits.

Maybe a dumb question. But what about the factory 114's. They have a smaller bore but longer stroke than the add on 114 kits for the 107. Are the factory 114's less prone to sump than the ones with the kits?

harleytuner

Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 08, 2017, 01:55:10 PM
Quote from: harleytuner on November 08, 2017, 01:43:30 PM

I did not say the hole was to small, too big of a hole caused just as much trouble. My point is that it is a balanced system and if you through one thing off it stops working properly.

Are you saying the blow by from the HD big bore was the cause and the new aftermarket cylinders and pistons were the cure?

All I know is I have not had sumping issues on any aftermarket big bore kit i've done, and all the HD 114 kit's i've tuned sumped.  On the one I re-built he came in with a dealer built 114, aftermarket heads, Woods cams, Basanni 2:1 and a Vision.  This was all done at the dealer, just came here for a tune.  During the tune I discovered sumping and trans migration.  Called the customer he came and got the bike, went back to the dealer.  MoCo called No-joy because of the aftermarket parts (that the dealer installed).  Customer got pissed, picked it up, brought it back to me.  I put on a 114 kit and left everything else as is.  Bike did not sump during the break in tune, during his 500 mile break in or during the final tune.  I talked to him a few months later and he said he had 6K on the build with no issues other than the trans fluid.  We were planning on putting in the oil pump when we re-built the top end but they didn't have one in stock so we  just left the existing one in and baby it through the break in.  There wasn't a need so we just left it alone.  For what it's worth the cylinders and pistons we took out were garbage, out of round, on a taper and to big.

harleytuner

Quote from: rich1 on November 08, 2017, 02:17:04 PM
Quote from: harleytuner on November 08, 2017, 12:04:16 PM

Maybe a dumb question. But what about the factory 114's. They have a smaller bore but longer stroke than the add on 114 kits for the 107. Are the factory 114's less prone to sump than the ones with the kits?

I have had 2 114 CVO's in for tunes and they both sumped.  I have yet to do a M* Softail so I can't comment other than to say that they are included in the updated M-1450 service bulletin.

1FSTRK

rbabos

Without serious examination of the pump, my gut feeling is an interaction between the feed side and the scavenge side. If clearances are minimal it will function although not likely to the designed ratio between the two rotors. Throw in some slop this interaction could make it to the point the scavenge side gets overwhelmed. Maybe they should ask Porsche how to do it right. While at it the trans too. :banghead: This whole thing is becoming a joke.
Ron

lucasg

:hyst:
Priceless absolutely beautiful , especially the " app on their phones "... Hehehehe

yobtaf103

Guess all those pre production motors they ran up  dyno testing where blue printed :doh: