April 30, 2024, 12:54:26 PM

News:

Sumping again....with the NEW Oil pump

Started by JB2017CVO, November 04, 2017, 11:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB2017CVO

I bought a 2017 CVO Street glide back in Jan or so...I ran it stock for a little while and the damn oil pump went out on it and fried the top end...While they were having to redo the top end I went ahead and put in a stage 4...rode it for a couple thousand miles and then it began to sump...The put another top end in it and it did the same thing...They then put an entirely new motor in and it sumped again...So in August they gave me an entirely new bike...At that time we held off on the stage 4 and just rode it stock...it did fine...I put about 5k on it with no issues...They called me a couple of weeks ago and said that they were ready to install the stage 4 kit again that they were putting the NEW oil pump in it this time...I picked the bike up on Friday and by Sunday it had sumped again...Has anyone else installed the new oil pump and used the new updated SB1450 procedures and still had issues with sumping or am I the only one? Harley is sending down one of their engineers AGAIN to look at my bike...

hattitude

happyman

Quote from: JB2017CVO on November 04, 2017, 11:04:15 AM
I bought a 2017 CVO Street glide back in Jan or so...I ran it stock for a little while and the damn oil pump went out on it and fried the top end...While they were having to redo the top end I went ahead and put in a stage 4...rode it for a couple thousand miles and then it began to sump...The put another top end in it and it did the same thing...They then put an entirely new motor in and it sumped again...So in August they gave me an entirely new bike...At that time we held off on the stage 4 and just rode it stock...it did fine...I put about 5k on it with no issues...They called me a couple of weeks ago and said that they were ready to install the stage 4 kit again that they were putting the NEW oil pump in it this time...I picked the bike up on Friday and by Sunday it had sumped again...Has anyone else installed the new oil pump and used the new updated SB1450 procedures and still had issues with sumping or am I the only one? Harley is sending down one of their engineers AGAIN to look at my bike...
your not alone!!  yes it has to suck .

harleytuner

November 04, 2017, 03:33:28 PM #3 Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 04:01:18 PM by harleytuner
Did anybody catch the updated M1450 bulletin? Included the 18 models now and doubled the accepted sump amount of oil

FSG

1FSTRK

If your production product does not meet specs, change the specs. After all you are the MOCO
They are becoming the  :hyst: stock of the industry.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

rbabos

Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 04, 2017, 03:43:01 PM
If your production product does not meet specs, change the specs. After all you are the MOCO
They sure are working at it with sumping and trans oil transfer issues they can't or won't  resolve. Personally, I think they are playing dumb avoiding responsibility and costs.
Ron

tmwmoose

How unbelievably pathetic . So Harley never really tested this motor is the way it looks . And all this on one bike ! Sorry OP for your misfortune what a shame .  Remember that famous movie line !, run Forest run!

Hossamania

If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Coyote

Quote from: Hossamania on November 04, 2017, 04:41:16 PM
BMW is gaining more appeal....

I did a complete service today on my K1600. It's sure sumping when I get on the throttle! :hyst:

Hossamania

Quote from: Coyote on November 04, 2017, 04:44:55 PM

I did a complete service today on my K1600. It's sure sumping when I get on the throttle! :hyst:

Very good one!
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

PoorUB

If nothing else I am sure glad I bought my 2016 Limited. I would be pissed to the max if I were having problems like some of these bikes.

HD needs to tweek some more stroke out of the Vrod and slap it in a bagger!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Reddog74usa

GEEE I wonder why sales are down :emoGroan: For everyone of us that hears what's happening to these new M8's at least 10 are told of it and on and on and on so keep goin Harley you freakin idiots  :angry:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

Nastytls

Quote from: 1FSTRK on November 04, 2017, 03:43:01 PM

"Becoming"? They always have been. Do you really think the engineers in Germany or especially Japan, are now or ever have taken Harley engineering seriously? They would probably be fired on the spot for producing a product similar to Harley.

That being said, this is a whole new low. Between crank runout and now sumping they're essentially making it so the bike has to totally self destruct before they stand behind it. The scary part of that is they basically want complete engine failure which can be a significant safety issue for the rider. I suppose they'd rather pay out to dead riders families than pay to properly correct their s**t design.

If they didn't have a name to fall back on they might just put in some effort to hiring decent engineers and build a quality bike.

It'd be interesting to see what would happen if these service bulletins that essentially change specs retroactively were made widely known to the buying public.

tmwmoose

Becoming"? They always have been. Do you really think the engineers in Germany or especially Japan, are now or ever have taken Harley engineering seriously? They would probably be fired on the spot for producing a product similar to Harley.

Suzuki Intruder, Yamaha Virago, Honda Shadow just to name a few .You don't call that "taken Harley engineering seriously"?
  Today they probably don't care cause there all wondering like Harley where there profits are going to come from in the next 10-15 years

harleytuner

Harley plays the odds as far as engineering goes is what it seams.  I have a 2015 CVO Roadglide in right now, 3 months out of warranty with a lifter failure that as a result will require a total R&R on the customers dime.  The average MC rider in the US puts on somewhere between 3,000 and 5,000 miles per year (I know some a lot more but that is the average).  So if HD offers a 2 year warranty that is an average of 6,000 - 10,000 miles, so if they double that we'll say they only care about their customers getting 20,000 miles out of their bikes.  For the riders that double the average miles a year there's a good chance they will have a warranty claim, that is if they left their bike stock and have not opened the door for the warranty to be voided.  At the end it all comes down to the MoCo answering to the share holders, they only care about profit. 

Nastytls

Quote from: tmwmoose on November 05, 2017, 06:20:36 AM
Suzuki Intruder, Yamaha Virago, Honda Shadow just to name a few .You don't call that "taken Harley engineering seriously"?
  Today they probably don't care cause there all wondering like Harley where there profits are going to come from in the next 10-15 years

Ummm... No. Those bikes were produced because there is demand for cruiser style motorcycles, so the only thing those bikes share in common with HD are that they are indeed V-twin cruisers. Literally nothing else. Any one of those bikes are superior engineering exercises when compared to a Harley and can be run virtually forever without the litany of problems Harley's suffer from.

No company in their right mind would actually "copy" a harley design, and thats not because they fear lawsuits, it's because they rightly fear the windfall of failures that would follow. Harley does it because they truly don't care about quality, they know people will still buy because of the name, nobody else can do that.

Nastytls

I sound like I am very anti HD, but I'm not really, I'm anti poor quality that I have to pay a premium for. Stylistically they are hard to beat in the cruiser market ( before Indian came around ). My wife really wants me to get a bagger so she can ride with me but she's not terribly pleased at the amount of money I have spent on "fixing" and improving my Dyna.  I have always liked the looks of the Road Glide so I was truly hoping that the M8 would be different. By most accounts it's more of the same and also worse.

rbabos

Quote from: PoorUB on November 04, 2017, 05:05:51 PM

If nothing else I am sure glad I bought my 2016 Limited. I would be pissed to the max if I were having problems like some of these bikes.

How could they keep service departments busy with a engine like that? :hyst:
Ron

PoorUB

Quote from: rbabos on November 05, 2017, 07:28:49 AM
Quote from: PoorUB on November 04, 2017, 05:05:51 PM

How could they keep service departments busy with a engine like that? :hyst:
Ron

That would be a problem I could deal with.

Best engine concept HD has ever had and they mothball it and continue to build these air cooled POS. :banghead:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

IronButt70

Quote from: PoorUB on November 05, 2017, 07:36:24 AM

Best engine concept HD has ever had and they mothball it and continue to build these air cooled POS. :banghead:
As long as people keep buying them that won't change.
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

rich1

The thing I dont get about the sumping issue. Why are bikes ok for a few thousand miles and then start sumping? What changed?

hogpipes1

I am going to make a copy of this . next time dealer ask me when am i going to buy a new bike.? i get tired  telling them all the issues now with the M-8.  use to be the T-Cam,  but they always have the same story, Never heard of that issue.  Well here ya go read this .

happyman

Quote from: hogpipes1 on November 06, 2017, 07:29:26 AM

I am going to make a copy of this . next time dealer ask me when am i going to buy a new bike.? i get tired  telling them all the issues now with the M-8.  use to be the T-Cam,  but they always have the same story, Never heard of that issue.  Well here ya go read this .
had one dealer I was mentioning it to them and the owner blew his stack and raised al kinds of hel screaming and raising his voice in from  of several customers saying  I was just calling his product junk. I never did say the word junk but did say some have issues . the dude is known to be not very bright  so I just shrug it off. people were listening to the rant closely.    some dealers claim they had one and they sell a lot of bikes,  some serious lies out there I can say without a doubt. I have had too many issues to mention as its so disgusting as the riding time was cut at least in half this year because of the product.  as matter of fact its in a shop as I type waiting on backorderd parts.

randyman

What are the symptoms of sumping?  I have 4000 miles on mine.