April 26, 2024, 09:02:28 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

They Did It!

Started by Ohio HD, February 28, 2020, 06:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio HD

Darkhorse Crankworks has released a motor sprocket to replace the OEM Twin Cam and M8 compensaters. I really can't wait to hear more about them. I think John kept this from release all these years because he cares about supplying a durable product.   

Stock 34 and a 32 tooth.

Darkhorse

Ohio HD

This photo is from their FB site.

[attach=0]

kd

February 28, 2020, 07:47:07 PM #2 Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 07:59:41 PM by kd
Interesting.   It looks like a compromise in travel between a full ramp SE or older version and a solid sprocket.  It also appears to be a simple machine production compared to the ramp style.  Four extra fasteners to be careful with but I'm betting John found a way to put plenty of miles on a few with big engines with aggressive use.

There was talk a while back about a love-joy jaw style coupling out there when the compensaver was in trials.  I wonder if this is what it turned into.  It's more of a cush drive than compensator.
KD

No Cents

I know John told me years ago he wouldn't release their design until he had it right to where it should have no issues to the buyer. I wanted one to try back then...but I couldn't talk him into it. He said the cushioning material he was using at the time he wasn't completely satisfied with. He would continuing his testing to find the right one that would withstand all the different fluids guys run in the primary and be able to withstand the heat and abuse it would need to take. I'm glad to see this out. It's a great option to you now if you have to go into the primary for any reason.
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

calif phil

Interesting, I would have complete confidence in trying one. 

rbabos

Good job John. Love it when someone does the R&D the right way, rather then putting it out into the market and expecting it to work well, and most times fail.
Ron

tbird

$500 and will need rotor on earlier models!

John D

Guys,

A lot of 2 steps forward, then 1 back, then repeat with this product development, but this spring we had a large breakthrough with cushion composition and volume that resolved a issues we were having.  Also found that on some models it would induce a bit more clutch pack noise and a Rekluse clutch resolved that on my bike. I was fearful people would install with no remedy for any potential noise issue. 

We were not going to be satisfied until we could put 1 in a bike and you would forget it is installed (except NOT hearing clunk when you drop into 1st gear and the knocking sound you get with a wearing OEM compensator at low RPM).

I am most impressed with the -2 (32T sprocket) as it really works well for bikes that are not designated touring bikes doing 100MPH everywhere.  We have one in Tyger's bike and the whole bike is smooth and snappy, you can use 6th gear down to 60MPH and again forget it is installed!

Hope we can meet everyone's demands moving forward, we have a limited amount produced currently as we have 3 models.  A 32T & 34T for TwinCams and 34T for M8's.  We have in motors from stock applications to 124's at a conservative 135 RWHP with great feedback.  We have some longevity testing ongoing in southern states trying to determine longevity of cushions.  We are currently at 20k on a number of them with out degrading of cushions which is a great sign.  Either way, cushions are inexpensive to change and you do not have to pull the unit to replace, just pull the primary cover and faceplate and relplace.

Hope you all get an opportunity to try, please let me know your thoughts if you do!

John E Dahmer - Darkhorse Crankworks GM
john@darkhorsecrankworks.com

HighLiner

And I just happen to have my primary apart at the moment.

FSG

rebuild-able via replacement cushions and I guess if you wanted to at some stage you could go with SOLID cushions   

John D

I doubt we would ever entertain "solid" cushions FSG, There is actually a pre-load on cushions so there is no slack in the unit, I would assume it would be noisy with solids and act like a solid sprocket?  We utilize 2 different durameter cushions to progressively absorb both engine pulse and torque along with smoothing out starting process load. 

A guy would think this primary sprocket and all the dynamics that go with it would be easy, well, after really 5+ years I will say, not so much!  And we are still developing as I know when they get out into the greater field there will be more development and fine tuning.

The great thing though, it is "tuneable" by the durometer and volume of cushions used. 

The overall integrity of the Man O-War Motorsprocket will not fail or fracture, that we truly believe, it will take well over 250 RWHP to even start testing its extreme durability as far as mechanical failures.

Tireman

March 04, 2020, 08:10:31 AM #11 Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 08:26:05 AM by Tireman
Quote from: HighLiner on March 03, 2020, 08:15:02 PM

Me too....

Even though I am in the process of replacing the spring pack in the '09 SG I'm thinking I could try one in the SG and upgrade the stock compensator in the '11 Triglide.

Sounds reasonable to me!!
1984 FLHS 80" 57/61  2009 SG Mega Flo 124"152/154
2011 TG Mega Flo 117" 116/127

HighLiner

March 04, 2020, 08:58:48 AM #12 Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 12:14:15 PM by HighLiner
Quote from: Tireman on March 04, 2020, 08:10:31 AM
Quote from: HighLiner on March 03, 2020, 08:15:02 PM

Me too....

Even though I am in the process of replacing the spring pack in the '09 SG I'm thinking I could try one in the SG and upgrade the stock compensator in the '11 Triglide.

Sounds reasonable to me!!

:chop:
Got mine ordered!

FSG

misfitJason

I got to see, touch, and feel their new comp at bikeweek. It surely looks well thought out and engineered
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

IronButt70

Quote from: misfitJason on March 12, 2020, 04:10:49 AM
I got to see, touch, and feel their new comp at bikeweek. It surely looks well thought out and engineered
Dang, I missed that. Where are they set up?
No one else put you on the road you're on. It's your own asphalt.

jsachs1

I checked them out at "Bike Week". Looks like the real deal. 2 different ratios available 34T and 32T, a thicker chain adjuster pad for the 32T sprocket(extra). rebuildable as well. Retail $489.95
John

TXChop

Any plans for other tooth counts on M8 bikes?

Looking forward to try either way!

Ohio HD

I snagged a few more pics from the DH FB site, hopefully John doesn't mind. I think it's a keen design. I see one in my future on my 124" to try out.

[attach=0]

[attach=1]

[attach=2]

misfitJason

Quote from: IronButt70 on March 12, 2020, 07:28:12 AM

At destination Daytona
2006 Dyna, Kraftech Evo Softail

IronButt70

Quote from: misfitJason on March 12, 2020, 06:16:35 PM

At destination Daytona
I was there and somehow managed to miss them. Thanks. Going again tomorrow.

IronButt70

Quote from: IronButt70 on March 12, 2020, 06:51:11 PM
Quote from: misfitJason on March 12, 2020, 06:16:35 PM

At destination Daytona
I was there and somehow managed to miss them. Thanks. Going again tomorrow.
Stopped by today. Must have walked right past them 5 times. Anyway I looked at that new compensator replacement and was quite impressed. Guy I talked to said the cushion disks should last at least 20k miles and probably much more. Replacements will run about $40. Good stuff.

No Cents

it will be my next comp...for sure!
...and John...thanks for all the R&D you did.  :up:
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

IronButt70

Quote from: No Cents on March 13, 2020, 05:37:45 PM
      it will be my next comp...for sure!
...and John...thanks for all the R&D you did.  :up:
Would love to install one but I still have 2 more years on my extended warranty and since I just had some warranty drive train work done I can't take a chance some future warranty work might be denied if I install one no matters how much better I think it will be.

John D

Glad to see finally out there and we will be trying a few 32T in M8s, biggest item there is being able to adjust primary chain for 32 in a M8. 

M8 auto primary chain adjuster is different to allow factory to assemble adjuster on inner primary prior to assembly in chassis.  It is shorter and the adjuster we have been testing does not fit on M8. 

Little known fact - M8 OEM primary adjuster has more cushion to it that TCs as engineering found with the additional power developed in M8s it would ratchet up due to additional chain slack on adjustment side.

One of the coolest things though?  The 34T has been so well received in M8s and will handle the power (Gary Williams of Big Bore Bikes II has one in a 200RWHP bike currently and loves it!), but in all honesty the M8s were not even on our radar screen when we started developing this piece.