April 26, 2024, 12:19:25 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Which Shocks to buy '14 Limited - Ride Solo - No Trunk

Started by r0de_runr, March 16, 2020, 11:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klammer76

I have had Works Street Trackers in the past on my 2002 FLH. Hated them, very stiff.

Have Ohlins Blackline 774 (13") now. I am 5'11, 205lbs. The Ohlins Work well but somewhat stiff also. Switched from27nm springs to 25nm and was a bit better. These shocks for me ride the best 2 up and loaded. They are very decent for that. Pre load solo to get 1/2" sag is the adjuster backed off all the way. 2 up, 6 turns and 7 to 8 if I have the chopped or king pak on (don't use the king any more). Still playing with the dampening dial a bit. They are good shocks but best for me 2 up. They (as with any good shock) really let you know how bad the front suspension is. I have 14,000 miles on these shocks now.

Lately, the RWD shocks that Max referenced have really caught my eye. Do they have adjustable compression damping?

Hossamania

A friend of mine bought some Super Shox recently, and he really likes them, coming off the stock Premiums. His wife does too. I will update his experiences if they change.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: Hossamania on May 03, 2020, 07:35:53 AM
A friend of mine bought some Super Shox recently, and he really likes them, coming off the stock Premiums. His wife does too. I will update his experiences if they change.
Super Shox didn't work for me either. I found them to be pretty harsh. I'm going to ride a bit with the Premiums (again) for comparison. If they're worse I'll go back to the Ohlins. I guess it all depends which ones don't rattle my fillings loose. On the positive side, I can now replace shocks with my eyes closed.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

Jim Bronson

I rode with the HD Premiums today, and the ride is much better overall than with the Ohlins. I can't understand that, since the Ohlins are praised by most riders. I'll contact Smarty and see if he can help. I'd prefer to use the Ohlins because they perform better than the Premiums on the mountain twisties. Maybe I can't have a both good ride and good handling with the same shock.

turboprop

A buddy of mine has these on his bagger. After riding his bike a few times, I cant really tell the difference between them and a set of Racetech piggy backs. I hate spending money on the bagger, but these are half the cost of Ohlins and/or Racetech. I placed the order yesterday and received a confirmation today (sunday) that they are being built and needed some weights and other bits of info.

https://www.ikonshocksusa.com/products/7614-1601?variant=27857610817&fbclid=IwAR1Zs0O0CY9yBEPwfdDhT3SGkmtCzq_D3n40Y2tvN2gfc8TQn9IrV3URLvU

Specs by part number
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1400/8725/files/Ikon_Shocks_USA_Specifications_2016.xls?3433952438492627253

Application Chart
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1400/8725/files/Ikon_Shocks_USA_Application_List_2016.xls?3433952438492627253

'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

04 SE Deuce

Got a couple questions for you Jim.

-  How much laden SAG do you have the spring preload set at?  Measured from axle straight up to a fixed point, difference between rear wheel off ground to rider on bike feet on boards.

-  Have you put a tattletale (small tie-strap) on the shock shaft to see how much shaft travel you are getting on various surfaces?

-  What spring rate or spring part number is on the shocks?

-  What part number is on the shock body/end?  Should be something with like 159-4.

Ohlins has updated the valving and piston over time to make the shocks plusher...need to know how current your pair is.

A good test for shaft travel is to find a road that has moderate irregularities, set your tattletalesand ride a section that doesn't have any big bumps and check your shaft travel...reset tattletales and repeat. 

Gradually step up the bump size until you know what shaft travel you get given the surface or bump size. 

Avoid or reset after hitting curbed driveways, intersection dips, large/rough bumps but note if your tattletale is against the bump stop after these.

Ohlins USA prefers that you send the shocks directly to them for adjustment.  They tend to be fair about swapping springs and can do a quick re-valve with just fresh oil on shocks that haven't been run long.
Matt Sage in Harley sales and Brad Stokes in service are top drawer guys!

Ohlins USA (828) 692-4525.  Talk to Brad Stokes in service and tell him your preference is ride quality.
Bike model, rider weight, spring part #, part # on shock, laden SAG, shaft travel being used, ride quality preference.  Also measure the height of the rubber bump stop in case needed/asked.

HTH   -Rick

Do no involve anyone suffering from high humidity climate.

Jim Bronson

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on May 03, 2020, 05:33:26 PM

-  How much laden SAG do you have the spring preload set at?  Measured from axle straight up to a fixed point, difference between rear wheel off ground to rider on bike feet on boards.
IIRC it was about 25mm when I first began adjusting them. I then adjusted them two turns at a time between rides from sag measurements that I knew were way too high or too low. There was no sweet spot for maximum ride comfort.

-  Have you put a tattletale (small tie-strap) on the shock shaft to see how much shaft travel you are getting on various surfaces?
Yes, I did try the cable-tie method. I made several attempts with the wrap moving down to between 1/2" and approximately 3/4" from the bump stop over some normal bumpy roads. The wrap always hit the stop while pulling into my garage from the street over a curbed driveway.

-  What spring rate or spring part number is on the shocks? 00280-21/25  L1519

-  What part number is on the shock body/end?  Should be something with like 159-4. That's correct 159-4

Ohlins has updated the valving and piston over time to make the shocks plusher...need to know how current your pair is.

A good test for shaft travel is to find a road that has moderate irregularities, set your tattletalesand ride a section that doesn't have any big bumps and check your shaft travel...reset tattletales and repeat. 

Gradually step up the bump size until you know what shaft travel you get given the surface or bump size. 

Avoid or reset after hitting curbed driveways, intersection dips, large/rough bumps but note if your tattletale is against the bump stop after these.

Ohlins USA prefers that you send the shocks directly to them for adjustment.  They tend to be fair about swapping springs and can do a quick re-valve with just fresh oil on shocks that haven't been run long.

Ohlins USA (828) 692-4525.  Talk to Brad Stokes in service and tell him your preference is ride quality.
Bike model, rider weight, spring part #, part # on shock, laden SAG, shaft travel being used, ride quality preference.  Also measure the height of the rubber bump stop in case needed/asked.

HTH   -Rick

Do no involve anyone suffering from high humidity climate. I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Thanks for the detailed reply Rick. Please see answers above. I ordered the shocks directly from the Ohlins sales office, but I don't recall who I talked to. I remember carefully describing my riding mode, and he seemed confident that he was sending me the right ones. I re-installed the HD Premiums yesterday for a sanity check, and the improvement is quite noticeable with the adjustment set to 1. Pulling into my driveway is much easier on my aching back.

KumaRide

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on May 03, 2020, 05:33:26 PM

-  What spring rate or spring part number is on the shocks?

-  What part number is on the shock body/end?  Should be something with like 159-4.

Ohlins USA (828) 692-4525.  Talk to Brad Stokes in service and tell him  your preference is ride quality .

HTH   -Rick

Do not involve anyone suffering from high humidity climate.

:hyst: :hyst:   (Fixed it for you.)

Ohlins fixed my shocks that were claimed to be custom built by the guy in the high humidity climate.

The 159-4 should have the upgraded piston. 

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: klammer76 on May 03, 2020, 07:29:11 AM
I have had Works Street Trackers in the past on my 2002 FLH. Hated them, very stiff.

Have Ohlins Blackline 774 (13") now. I am 5'11, 205lbs. The Ohlins Work well but somewhat stiff also. Switched from27nm springs to 25nm and was a bit better. These shocks for me ride the best 2 up and loaded. They are very decent for that. Pre load solo to get 1/2" sag is the adjuster backed off all the way. 2 up, 6 turns and 7 to 8 if I have the chopped or king pak on (don't use the king any more). Still playing with the dampening dial a bit. They are good shocks but best for me 2 up. They (as with any good shock) really let you know how bad the front suspension is. I have 14,000 miles on these shocks now.

Lately, the RWD shocks that Max referenced have really caught my eye. Do they have adjustable compression damping?

Works ST with ARS worked fine on my 07 EGC.  They are a little stiff on the compression damping tho.  I have ST on my dyna and they are about perfect.

The RWDs do not have rebound damping adjustment. IMO it's not really needed when the spring rate is set.  They do have both low speed and high speed compression which is really where the adjustment should be.  The only issue I see is that for me 185lb, nothing heavy in the saddlebags on a 17 RK, the lightest setting is fine (lighter compression and more travel than the Works or 159s) but it would be nice to be able to adjust the compression damping so that it was too light.

BTW look at what RWD says on how to set sag.  Screwed up IMO.

I like Ed's suggestion on Ikons. I don't think the gas filled are necessary. Used Koni's years ago and they would fade in the dirt but on the street? Maybe if you were running hard on a track. The adjustable are only $420..  Plan on buying a set for my CB750K8. 

turboprop

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on May 04, 2020, 09:11:40 AM

Works ST with ARS worked fine on my 07 EGC.  They are a little stiff on the compression damping tho.  I have ST on my dyna and they are about perfect.

The RWDs do not have rebound damping adjustment. IMO it's not really needed when the spring rate is set.  They do have both low speed and high speed compression which is really where the adjustment should be.  The only issue I see is that for me 185lb, nothing heavy in the saddlebags on a 17 RK, the lightest setting is fine (lighter compression and more travel than the Works or 159s) but it would be nice to be able to adjust the compression damping so that it was too light.

BTW look at what RWD says on how to set sag.  Screwed up IMO.

I like Ed's suggestion on Ikons. I don't think the gas filled are necessary. Used Koni's years ago and they would fade in the dirt but on the street? Maybe if you were running hard on a track. The adjustable are only $420..  Plan on buying a set for my CB750K8.

I was prepared to go full retard and buy a set of piggybacks from Ohlins. I am getting off pretty lite at only $610.

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 03, 2020, 08:20:33 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply Rick. Please see answers above. I ordered the shocks directly from the Ohlins sales office, but I don't recall who I talked to. I remember carefully describing my riding mode, and he seemed confident that he was sending me the right ones. I re-installed the HD Premiums yesterday for a sanity check, and the improvement is quite noticeable with the adjustment set to 1. Pulling into my driveway is much easier on my aching back.

Quote from: Jim Bronson on May 03, 2020, 08:20:33 PM

Jim,  Shocks are somewhat personal to rider preference.  Like I've mentioned here before quality rebuildable shocks can be tweeked to user preference given accurate feedback when serviced or sooner if needed.  Brad personally services my shocks and re-valved my softail shocks to good improvement.  He can adjust any aspect of the shock to suit your application. 

The Harley touring models are heavy bikes with limited/marginal travel so are somewhat of a give and take in regards to shock performance...lot of work load being done in 2-3 inches. 

Gas shocks without a remote or piggyback reservoir (like HD159) give up aprox. 14mm of shaft travel due to the internal dividing piston but still tend to perform better than emulsion shocks.

Another variable is bump stops, different shocks vary in how bottoming effects are muted from the rider.

Give Brad a call and discuss your needs/feedback...tell him Deuce riding Rick in CA sent you.

Jim Bronson

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: Admiral Akbar on May 04, 2020, 09:11:40 AM

Bruce,  Personal involvement with Klammer and KumaRide (who I ridden with) is what finally prompted me to talk to Pierre at Works.  Both riders had identical complaints (harsh w/limited shaft travel) with their Works shocks.  The result was larger orifices in the piston which improved the shocks but not enough for either rider to keep them.  Works tended to use lighter spring rates on touring model shocks than any brand I'm aware of which put an emphasize on correct valving to control shaft speed.

Your Works touring shocks seemed ok to me when I rode them other than bottoming too easy for my weight and riding preferences.  IIRC both Klammer and Kuma had ASR with the next firmer main spring 120lb/in compared to your 100lb/in.

The Ikon shocks mentioned are gas not emulsion.

Your 159's are old enough to not have the current piston.  You might consider updating them when serviced if you haven't already.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on May 04, 2020, 12:39:43 PM

Bruce,  Personal involvement with Klammer and KumaRide (who I ridden with) is what finally prompted me to talk to Pierre at Works.  Both riders had identical complaints (harsh w/limited shaft travel) with their Works shocks.  The result was larger orifices in the piston which improved the shocks but not enough for either rider to keep them.  Works tended to use lighter spring rates on touring model shocks than any brand I'm aware of which put an emphasize on correct valving to control shaft speed.

Your Works touring shocks seemed ok to me when I rode them other than bottoming too easy for my weight and riding preferences.  IIRC both Klammer and Kuma had ASR with the next firmer main spring 120lb/in compared to your 100lb/in.

The Ikon shocks mentioned are gas not emulsion.

Your 159's are old enough to not have the current piston.  You might consider updating them when serviced if you haven't already.

What the difference between the shocks the 2K's bikes had and the ones on my EGC?  Did you ride their bikes? You rode mine.

No clue on what you are saying about Ikon shocks.  IMO the non gas ones would be fine which is what I was saying.

159s I had were fine for me the way they were except that the travel was limited. They are long gone tho.

04 SE Deuce

May 04, 2020, 01:25:25 PM #64 Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 02:01:17 PM by 04 SE DEUCE
Quote from: Admiral Akbar on May 04, 2020, 01:17:30 PM
No clue on what you are saying about Ikon shocks.  IMO the non gas ones would be fine which is what I was saying.

Got ya, wouldn't know without trying them but would expect similar performance to most bands of same price point emulsion shocks.  I did talk with the owner at a show back when all they offered were the emulsion shocks. Nice guy and in no way did he try to overstate or oversell the product at that time.

Click the first link Ed suggested for IKON,  they are gas not emulsion,  with progressive springs.

04 SE Deuce

Quote from: turboprop on May 04, 2020, 11:31:33 AM
I was prepared to go full retard and buy a set of piggybacks from Ohlins. I am getting off pretty lite at only $610.

Nothing retarded with using what is unarguably one of the most quality brands on the planet with some of the best support in the industry at Ohlins USA, which I believe is close to your local.

Trying to make an unjustified case against Ohlins would be questionable.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on May 04, 2020, 01:25:25 PM
Quote from: Admiral Akbar on May 04, 2020, 01:17:30 PM

Got ya, wouldn't know without trying them but would expect similar performance to most bands of same price point emulsion shocks.  I did talk with the owner at a show back when all they offered were the emulsion shocks. Nice guy and in no way did he try to overstate or oversell the product at that time.

Click the first link Ed suggested for IKON,  they are gas not emulsion,  with progressive springs.

I do have experience with the old Koni's. IMO it's a good design.  Easy to rebuild and tune. The shock Ed shows is a pressurized twin tube Ikon which pretty much makes it the same as a non pressurized version that I mention.  I like the steel body and spring cam. I would expect that both would work well only the pressurized version would fade less.  Again, street bikes likely don't need pressurized shocks. They don't get worked that hard. (IMO)

Why are you hung up on emulsion shocks?  I still don't understand.

Admiral Akbar

Good description of the different shock types.   Notice that they seem to say a good twin-tube design will provide for a smoother ride.

https://www.shocksurplus.com/pages/shock-absorber-design-differences

turboprop

I wonder if the OP has made a purchase yet. All this hot air may be for nothing.

There are a couple of recent threads about the value of high-dollar shocks on a harley touring model. I hope the OP has found those threads and read through them. Shocks for baggers may replace TC lifters as the great 'Taste great vs less filling' debate.

Ohio HD

Yeah, he bought the next day.

Quote from: r0de_runr on March 17, 2020, 11:47:06 AM
I went with these Ohlins:

336mm/13 1/4", 94mm/3.7" Stroke,
emulsified & Sweep Valve Adjustable,
Threaded Body Adjustable Spring Pre-Load.

:doh:

turboprop

Too funny. Lot of hot air expelled here that could have been used on a critical discussion about TC lifters. Such a waste.

KumaRide

OP went "full retard".  lol  And from the humid climate zone...  I hope he got the same multiple discounts the members from the other forum get. Their was a specific discount called  "rebate for possible personal review". Could this explain all the favorable reviews.   :potstir:

Some fun facts. No hot air.

About 5 years ago is when I tried Works shocks. Using a zip tie to verify stroke and hitting all shapes and sizes of bumps and pot holes, the shocks would never travel to the bump stop. They would always be ~1/2 from the stop. When the shock would end travel they would feel like a hard stop. As if something internal was preventing the shocks from traveling. They NEVER hit the bump stop nor even came close.  The shocks were sent back to Works a couple times for revalving.  Works also provided various springs that I installed myself. Shipping and testing and revalving and replacing springs went on for a few months. At that point, I ran out of travel and moved on.

Also running "full retard" shocks. HD 357. Was lucky and paid what the RWD's cost even after Ohlins upgraded the piston.  After Ohlins upgraded the piston a couple years ago they work very well. They are slightly on the sporty side 1up (200 lbs) and work very well 2up (310 lbs combined).  A good compromise.  By sporty side, I mean if you like to cruise and "live" in your back rest, you will want them softer on rougher roads.

turboprop

Quote from: KumaRide on May 05, 2020, 08:55:56 AM
OP went "full retard".  lol  And from the humid climate zone...  I hope he got the same multiple discounts the members from the other forum get. Their was a specific discount called  "rebate for possible personal review". Could this explain all the favorable reviews.   :potstir:

Some fun facts. No hot air.

About 5 years ago is when I tried Works shocks. Using a zip tie to verify stroke and hitting all shapes and sizes of bumps and pot holes, the shocks would never travel to the bump stop. They would always be ~1/2 from the stop. When the shock would end travel they would feel like a hard stop. As if something internal was preventing the shocks from traveling. They NEVER hit the bump stop nor even came close.  The shocks were sent back to Works a couple times for revalving.  Works also provided various springs that I installed myself. Shipping and testing and revalving and replacing springs went on for a few months. At that point, I ran out of travel and moved on.

Also running "full retard" shocks. HD 357. Was lucky and paid what the RWD's cost even after Ohlins upgraded the piston.  After Ohlins upgraded the piston a couple years ago they work very well. They are slightly on the sporty side 1up (200 lbs) and work very well 2up (310 lbs combined).  A good compromise.  By sporty side, I mean if you like to cruise and "live" in your back rest, you will want them softer on rougher roads.

I recently went full retard on a couple of things that I had to have just because. we all have our vices.   Seeing as the OP has made a purchase, this thread should be done until the OP comes back with a follow up.

Admiral Akbar

May 05, 2020, 09:47:38 AM #73 Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 09:58:15 AM by Admiral Akbar
Quote from: turboprop on May 05, 2020, 09:41:39 AM

I recently went full retard on a couple of things that I had to have just because. we all have our vices.   Seeing as the OP has made a purchase, this thread should be done until the OP comes back with a follow up.

Add:

My eval of the same shock #34

BTW

I liked Works on the EGC tho they were a bit stiff on the 02 RKC.  I don't ride with a back rest tho.  For me the 159 - pre 4 were great on the RK. I do like a firm ride tho. Only adjustments on them over stock was to add 2 turns to the springs and bump the rebound up 3 clicks.

Rockout Rocker Products

Quote from: KumaRide on May 05, 2020, 08:55:56 AM

I bought my Ohlins from "the Florida guy".  I did receive a large forum discount, was never asked for any kind of review.

www.rockout.biz Stop the top end TAPPING!!